Back pumping

chazzy

Featured Posts

The main problem is the distance from the canal and the ammount of lift required. In most cases it doesnt seem to be practical. As far as the area covered from Braunston Stop house is concerned the only resevoir they are pumping into is Welford ( using temparary pumps). The South Oxford Summit is not covered by Braunston so I am not sure about Napton

BW have for many years used back pumps to help supplement water from reservoirs. We have to remember that some parts of the system are now more heavily used than in working days

There are more back pumping schemes in the south east as this is where the most traffic is and where water supplies are not that plentiful

To my knowledge the following bac pumping schemes are in place (others will be able to add more)

- From the Salford pound (Salford Jct) up to the top of Garrison locks

- From below Camp Hill Locks to the top

- From the Leamington Sump (GU) up to the Braunston pound

- From bottom to the top of Braunston

- From bottom to the top of Buckby Locks

- From bottom to top of Stoke Bruerne Locks

- Around Fenny Stratford Lock

- From the bottom of Stoke Hammond (GU) to Marsworth (known as the Northern Engines)

- From bottom of Napton Locks to the top at Marston Doles

BW were pumping water into Wormleighton Reservoir on the south Oxford this winter

Some sort of back pumping has recently been used to top up Napton Reserviors on the GU / Oxford.

I think from the River Leam but I am open to correction.

Although water has been back-pumped from the Leamington level to the top of Calcutt Locks, it hasn't been specifically back-pumped to fill Napton Reservoir.

The reservoir is topped up by a feed from the canal, which is just past the end of Calcutt Boats moorings.

When I looked at it last week, it was full to the top!

Incidentally, the pump at the bottom of Calcutt locks was changed last week!

Although water has been back-pumped from the Leamington level to the top of Calcutt Locks, it hasn't been specifically back-pumped to fill Napton Reservoir.

The reservoir is topped up by a feed from the canal, which is just past the end of Calcutt Boats moorings.

When I looked at it last week, it was full to the top!

Incidentally, the pump at the bottom of Calcutt locks was changed last week!

I don't think I have ever seen it full, maybe they are working to fill it.

BW have for many years used back pumps to help supplement water from reservoirs. We have to remember that some parts of the system are now more heavily used than in working days

There are more back pumping schemes in the south east as this is where the most traffic is and where water supplies are not that plentiful

To my knowledge the following bac pumping schemes are in place (others will be able to add more)

- From the Salford pound (Salford Jct) up to the top of Garrison locks

- From below Camp Hill Locks to the top

- From the Leamington Sump (GU) up to the Braunston pound

- From bottom to the top of Braunston

- From bottom to the top of Buckby Locks

- From bottom to top of Stoke Bruerne Locks

- Around Fenny Stratford Lock

- From the bottom of Stoke Hammond (GU) to Marsworth (known as the Northern Engines)

- From bottom of Napton Locks to the top at Marston Doles

BW were pumping water into Wormleighton Reservoir on the south Oxford this winter

IIRC they backpump at Watford staircase too

I have seen back pumping used on lock flights. Out of interest do BW use back pumping to help replenish reservoirs, or are reservoirs fed solely by natural feeds?

Most of the replies here relate to back pumping up flights of locks.

I suspect there aren't many pumps used to fill reservoirs from sources other than existing canals.

An exception is the set at Bradley yard whose real purpose is to stop Brum floating off into the Irish Sea (joke) or whatever.

After all the original canal builders had to rely on natural sources of water - by diverting streams into new reservoirs.

The Environment Agency has a site showing water resources and monitoring stations, but it's not visible at the moment ??funding cutbacks

IIRC they backpump at Watford staircase too

Backpumping has been used at Hillmorton ever since the canal was built. Originally powered by wind, then for many years by steam engine and finally today by electricity. Keen eyes will be able to spot the remains of the channel in the field east of the pound between locks 4/5 and 6/7, running almost parallel with the canal, which fed into the Braunston level just above locks 6/7.