Access to Cuckoo Wharf

ChrisR

Featured Posts

Hi, We're passing through Brum enroute to points north in May, and have established our probable overnight mooring places. One place is Cuckoo Wharf, and some local friends want to meet up with us there. I see that there are security gates around the development, and someone on this forum in 2007 said that a security guard will let you out of/in to the area.

Does anyone know if that is still true? I imagine access is via Jameson Road. Will there be any issues with having non-boating visitors for the evening there?

-- Chris

Hi, We're passing through Brum enroute to points north in May, and have established our probable overnight mooring places. One place is Cuckoo Wharf, and some local friends want to meet up with us there. I see that there are security gates around the development, and someone on this forum in 2007 said that a security guard will let you out of/in to the area.

Does anyone know if that is still true? I imagine access is via Jameson Road. Will there be any issues with having non-boating visitors for the evening there?

-- Chris

We moored there last year (twice!) and although the gate was pulled shut it wasn't locked. There was a chap living on his boat there who made us welcome and told us about the gate and eating places (I seem to remember that the carry out pizza place was about the best :-) )

haggis

We moored there last year (twice!) and although the gate was pulled shut it wasn't locked. There was a chap living on his boat there who made us welcome and told us about the gate and eating places (I seem to remember that the carry out pizza place was about the best :-) )

Thanks haggis :-) Do you know if road/parking access is via Lichfield Rd to the North or Jameson Rd to the south? Looking at the map, I guess Lichfield Rd as it's the off-side?

Edited by ChrisR

We've moored there several times, although the last time was spring 2010. There is a guard at night but was perfectly friendly. He even wound is security camera video back for me to prove that Tescos lied about the gates being shut when they tried to make a delivery. The side gate by the guards room had a BW padlock on it when we were there. I think this is the only visitor mooring around Birmingham city centre that has electricity pillars.

It is zoned as a residential site but only seems to have one resident, one leisure boat and a boat belonging to the site owner, which is not BW. I think his name is Gerry. He showed us round his boat which he sometimes uses for business meetings if the offices on land are full.

Regards

Pete

Thanks haggis :-) Do you know if road/parking access is via Lichfield Rd to the North or Jameson Rd to the south? Looking at the map, I guess Lichfield Rd as it's the off-side?

I am sorry, I don't know the names of roads, just canals :-) If it is any help to you, when you are cruising towards Birmingham, the moorings are on the right hand side of the canal. There is a wide dual carraigeway runs outside the gates of the wharf and across that road is a park with a pond in it and a sports centre. This information, might or might not be helpful ;-)

Thanks Graham - useful link, why didn't I look there?! (Sometimes I think of Streetview, sometimes I don't. Doh!) Looks like space for one or two cars inside the lines next to the entrance. And if it's after hours, the guard may be willing to let our friends park in there for a couple hours.

-- Chris

Thanks Graham - useful link, why didn't I look there?! (Sometimes I think of Streetview, sometimes I don't. Doh!) Looks like space for one or two cars inside the lines next to the entrance. And if it's after hours, the guard may be willing to let our friends park in there for a couple hours.

-- Chris

The carpark is straight across the road from the gate.

The carpark is straight across the road from the gate.

Umm... yes... Thanks Brian, but it looks a very busy road and I see no crossing. I'll send the map to my friends, but also see if I can talk nicely to the guard to let them park in the compound for a couple hours. And if not, there is the car park across the road.

Just don't park anywhere around there when the Villa are playing at home!!

Ah - important awareness, Graham! Thanks.

Umm... yes... Thanks Brian, but it looks a very busy road and I see no crossing. I'll send the map to my friends, but also see if I can talk nicely to the guard to let them park in the compound for a couple hours. And if not, there is the car park across the road.

Ah - important awareness, Graham! Thanks.

There are traffic lights with pedestrian phase just up the road.