Rooftop gardening

Tom and Bex

Featured Posts

Harecastle tunnel can be a bit tight, there is one bridge on the wey that is always interesting and of course osney when the river is on amber, but all in all the plants tend to bend very well ( had a cucumber stolen in Newbury 2005 ). Have thought on the odd occasion we might have to take the pots down but so far so good. Tidal Thames .Ribble, Severn Crossing still got them (expected to have one or two blow over, but not yet) . No the rabbit is not on the roof , he lives inside with us (I think we live with him really).Bunny

Can I echo the comments about tumbling tomatoes - I had so many they looked like huge bunches of red grapes! By the way the first year I grew them I watered them with tap water and they were OK. The subsequent years I watered with canal water and they were fantastic!! Some people have turned up their nose at the idea of diesally, poohy water but just think what farmers put on their fields! Also small varieties of carrots work - watered well

well, thank you for all the replys.

I have decided I am going to try a pea plant called tom thumb, a bean plant called hestia, an aubergine called Ophelia, braod bean called sutton, beetroot sunset mix,butternut squash called cobnut, cabbage called pixie, carrots called parmex and rainbow mix, cauliflour sunset mix or igloo, peppers called Redskin or Mohawk, courgette called midnight, sweetcorn called minipop, tomatoes called sweet n neat plus a whole troft of various chilli plants and another of herbs. Thant should be all the veg to see me and hubby through the year....maybe.

Let me know feedback on any of these plants.

All will be in planters on legs to prevent blistering. This will work towards us being as self sufficient as possible.

Thank you

I am thinking of trying this on the sides of the boat ..... also thinking that keeping edible and non edible plants seperate on roof as I don't fancy using canal water to water my crops.... especially leafy ones .....

have a look at www.homesteading-survivalism ..... doh i have mislaid the link ... but tis really good site ...

planter.jpg

:cheers: Bunny

I am thinking of trying this on the sides of the boat ..... also thinking that keeping edible and non edible plants seperate on roof as I don't fancy using canal water to water my crops.... especially leafy ones .....

have a look at www.homesteading-survivalism ..... doh i have mislaid the link ... but tis really good site ...

planter.jpg

Well I watered all my salad leaves, tomatoes and carrots with the rich mix that is canal water last year, ate a fair amount, gave some away to my fellow moorers and we are all still alive and thriving! I would say I had a third more tomatoes with canal water and they were much juicier.

• Greenie 1

planter.jpg

This could make boating very difficult unless, of course, you do not go anywhere. You will be thinking more about your hanging plants that safe boating. They will be in danger of comming off under briges and you would find entering locks impossible especially if, as where I am, they are double locks.

• Greenie 1