Pram hood

poppetman

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

Just removed the pram hood on my boat as I was going through my first lock solo and figured it would get in the way.

Removed it from the frame in one piece and roughly folded it and put it in the cratch in my haste to get going along with the frame. Probably not a good idea. Is it best to unzip all the sections first and is there a tried and trusted method to reassembling it?

Hi Folks,

Just removed the pram hood on my boat as I was going through my first lock solo and figured it would get in the way.

Removed it from the frame in one piece and roughly folded it and put it in the cratch in my haste to get going along with the frame. Probably not a good idea. Is it best to unzip all the sections first and is there a tried and trusted method to reassembling it?

We often remove the side sections of ours when cruising and fold it down, though we've never removed it entirely. When we put it all back together we lift the frame and roof and then re-fit the sides.

So based on that I would say lift the frame, throw the the top section/roof over the frame and secure it.

Then fit the side sections last.

:) hello Poppetman, well i think it all depends on each pramcover as they are all made by diffferent ways :) I have just had a pramcover fitted and asked the chap to show me how to disassemble the ruddy thing lol. I dont unzip mine first, i jsut gently fold the front pole bit down and then unzip that bit and then fold and let it lay neatly behind the tiller. I will have to get some nice string to stop if flapping arounmd when ime boating, but other than that i will keep it up when i stop and put it down when ime cruising.

I guess when i am out of the marina and wandering along on my travels if ever i am away from the baot,say in an isolated area then i will completly remove it and store inside :) I know some folk dont like them, but i love mine as its an extra storage room and its so cosy to be sat there all comfy , watchin the world go by even when its tipping down lol. :)

Is this a Pedigree perambulator hood, a two baby job with two hoods or a single ? You normally just pull the side struts towards you and then just push em down or if pullin em up until the side struts lock out.

Hope this helps.,

Is this a Pedigree perambulator hood, a two baby job with two hoods or a single ? You normally just pull the side struts towards you and then just push em down or if pullin em up until the side struts lock out.

Hope this helps.,

:) sits pondering .......... erm!! nope tis a baot pramcover ... thingymebob contraption :rolleyes:

Hope this helps ., if not then :blink: lol

Edited by tree

It should have two small front wheels and two large back wheels that overlap each other. Ooh and a handle to push it along by.

Hellfire !! blizzard yer showing yer age now LOL adn I thought I was the 'oldest' forum member here ;)

I used to move my brood around in a wheelbarrow improvised with a golf brolley for 'raining cats and dogs' days :rolleyes:

opps !! quickly cleans Specsavers glasses ..... bizzard ... not blizzard :help: Phew !! that was a close one hehehe

Edited by tree

Hellfire !! blizzard yer showing yer age now LOL adn I thought I was the 'oldest' forum member here ;)

I used to move my brood around in a wheelbarrow improvised with a golf brolley for 'raining cats and dogs' days :rolleyes:

opps !! quickly cleans Specsavers glasses ..... bizzard ... not blizzard :help: Phew !! that was a close one hehehe

We couldn't afford a Pedigree pram,if anyone had one they were rated as millionaires,but i was pushed about in a similar Dutch war time one along with my dummy and Loppy a rag doll mouse.A pram that my dad swapped his Bedford army lorry for in Holland,''the pram not the dummy and doll'', with a Dutch farmer on VE day.He spent 6 weeks in a military jail in Antwerp for the offense.

The Army never recovered their lorry,but my dad got the pram sent on to the UK by his buddy on the Antwerp Harwich ferry.

When i grew out of it i made it into a Go-Cart and later used the body as a boat,so i know they do float.

The brolly is a good wheeze Tree. Do you have trouble with dogs Tree? yer know.

We couldn't afford a Pedigree pram,if anyone had one they were rated as millionaires,but i was pushed about in a similar Dutch war time one along with my dummy and Loppy a rag doll mouse.A pram that my dad swapped his Bedford army lorry for in Holland,''the pram not the dummy and doll'', with a Dutch farmer on VE day.He spent 6 weeks in a military jail in Antwerp for the offense.

The Army never recovered their lorry,but my dad got the pram sent on to the UK by his buddy on the Antwerp Harwich ferry.

When i grew out of it i made it into a Go-Cart and later used the body as a boat,so i know they do float.

The brolly is a good wheeze Tree. Do you have trouble with dogs Tree? yer know.

WOW!! i am impressed at the revelation of your childhood transport :) I just did a barter at the local tip for my broods childhood 'pramwheely barrow' :)

Hmm.. as for 'trouble with dogs' well let me assure you Mr Bizzard kind sir! to the following facts :

ahem!! 1. They would never even dare contemplate erm.. cocking or sitting to relieve themselves on my bark ; as one glare from me

would indeed make them come VERY quickly to their senses and therefore seek an alternative spot, ideally to then venture over to the unsuspecting traffic wardens leg !!!!

2. Having a strange ability to communicate with animals ( more easier than some of my fellow humans !! ;) I never have any

trouble with dogs or infact any other animals as they do indeed sense me so very well ( must be my child like qualities lol)

and come to over to me for a cwtch = welsh for cuddle :)

I hope that clears up your question concerning us trees !! :rolleyes:

WOW!! i am impressed at the revelation of your childhood transport :) I just did a barter at the local tip for my broods childhood 'pramwheely barrow' :)

Hmm.. as for 'trouble with dogs' well let me assure you Mr Bizzard kind sir! to the following facts :

ahem!! 1. They would never even dare contemplate erm.. cocking or sitting to relieve themselves on my bark ; as one glare from me

would indeed make them come VERY quickly to their senses and therefore seek an alternative spot, ideally to then venture over to the unsuspecting traffic wardens leg !!!!

2. Having a strange ability to communicate with animals ( more easier than some of my fellow humans !! ;) I never have any

trouble with dogs or infact any other animals as they do indeed sense me so very well ( must be my child like qualities lol)

and come to over to me for a cwtch = welsh for cuddle :)

I hope that clears up your question concerning us trees !! :rolleyes:

Yes quite superbly,thank you.

I wonder if that fellow ever got his hood up. :unsure:

Yes quite superbly,thank you.

I wonder if that fellow ever got his hood up. :unsure:

;) I am sure that he did :) and hopefully had a smile at our postings :)

curtseys and smiles back thankyou to for making me smile ( you fellow honourary barmy person :rolleyes: )

;) I am sure that he did :) and hopefully had a smile at our postings :)

curtseys and smiles back thankyou to for making me smile ( you fellow honourary barmy person :rolleyes: )

Ah I see - someone comes on here and asks a serious question and gets one possibly 2 helpful answers, followed by inane kindergarten drivel and all is sorted... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the posts both helpful and entertaining. I was looking for an easy way of doing a job that's a hassle to be honest and let's face it there isn't one.

Think unzipping each component and subtly marking them for easy reassembly is the way to go. Got to admit the boat looks a lot sleeker without it!

Thanks for all the posts both helpful and entertaining. I was looking for an easy way of doing a job that's a hassle to be honest and let's face it there isn't one.

Think unzipping each component and subtly marking them for easy reassembly is the way to go. Got to admit the boat looks a lot sleeker without it!

Pram hoods on boats look, well stupid let's say that is a given. they are however eminently practical. We would not be without ours.

and all this drivel is helping the OP how exactly???

Of course it's helping. It is eliciting an indulgent smile and one of those is good for all.

N

With mine the sides unzip, about 45 seconds each, the top front unzips from the screen frame, about a minute and it's down. The screen can also fold completely flat by pulling 2 pip pins about another half minute.

Putting it back up takes a bit longer maybe 5 + minutes.

We can go from 2.7m air draft to 1.4 in a matter of a few minutes.

The whole thing can be removed broken down into sections as it was for transport in about 10 minutes and all stored under the bed.

I can zip the front screen out in about a minute and the same for the rear screen.

To stop all the confusion why the hell do they call them "pram" hoods, when the thing they are fitted to is the stern of a narrowboat. Let's call them "stern" hoods eh!!! :banghead:

All the Dickie birds would call them Poop-deck-hoods. :mellow:

To stop all the confusion why the hell do they call them "pram" hoods, when the thing they are fitted to is the stern of a narrowboat. Let's call them "stern" hoods eh!!! :banghead:

I think the name stems from the frame which folds up and down just like the hood on a pram, I don't mind the name personally but some folk seem to..