air under boat

a.p.now

Featured Posts

? ?

Well....... oxygen

Roger

no.

products of biodegradation - CO2, methane, etc.

... oh, and H2S which is not nice (kills in seconds in moderately high concentrations).

Edited by ChrisPy

no.

products of biodegradation - CO2, methane, etc.

... oh, and H2S which is not nice (kills in seconds in moderately high concentrations).

I am reasonably conversant with the products of biodegradation, but are you also saying that the streams of bubbles coming from the new growth of water weeds in bright sunlight are not oxygen. I've always understood that this process was what kept the river water aerated, but am quite happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Roger

Photosyntheses evolves oxygen, especially in sunlight. anaerobic decomposition in a static water evolves H2S, methane, arsine and phosphine and the later two may spontaneously combust.

Iron corroding in anaerobic water can evolve hydrogen H2O + Fe > FeO and H2 -well approximately there are lots of iron oxides.

Photosyntheses evolves oxygen, especially in sunlight. anaerobic decomposition in a static water evolves H2S, methane, arsine and phosphine and the later two may spontaneously combust.

Iron corroding in anaerobic water can evolve hydrogen H2O + Fe > FeO and H2 -well approximately there are lots of iron oxides.

That ties in with my basic understanding Arthur that sunlight during the day causes photosynthesis which would support my thoughts that I am seeing bubbles of oxygen streaming from water plants. During the hours of darkness, there is no photosynthesis, and oxygen levels are reduced by the decomposition processes which will produce other bi products and gases. Decomposition is a 24 hour process whereas photosynthesis is daylight only.

Roger

your canal/river water must be clearer than mine. the sunshine won't reach much beyond a foot or so here. :rolleyes:

It's pretty clear here Chris, about 12-14ft deep in the middle and you can usually see a good 5-6ft down. I can see the tops of the weed growing up and in a few weeks it will reach the surface.

Roger

Fish farts. That is all

:lol:

Excuse me madam, can I have a portion of Fish Farts and Chips please?

I always believed that it was the mushy peas that created so much methane, or is that classed as a brain fart? :wacko: