Holidays on the Oxford

odet

Featured Posts

Hi everybody,

we are starting a 2 weeks holiday from Wigrams Turn Marina next Saturday going down to Oxford. Being aware of the restrictions on Marsdon Dole and Claydon locks, I am wondering if there is any danger of not getting back over the summit in about 2 weeks time.

Also does anybody has any advice how to entertain a 5 and a 7 years old on the summit ?

Thanks very much

odet

Without wishing to put a damper on your holiday, if enough hire boats continue to head over the Southern Oxford summit, it can only be a matter of time before the situation gets severe.

My understanding is BW will be encouraging hire boat firms to try to persuade their hirers to take the routes that are not those at highest level of risk.

Heading down the Southern Oxford is possibly the worst direction one can go from Wigrams right now, I would say ?

Having said that, there are no great directions to go from Wigrams. BW would seem to be suggesting GU towards Birmingham as their preferred choice, but even so Calcutt locks managed to acquire restrictions last year, and the situation sounds far worse this.......

If you're doing Oxford/return over two weeks, that's a nice leisurely pace.

Even if you had to queue at the locks, you could afford to 'loose' a couple of days.

The Napton back pumps will always mean that there will be some water on the summit. How many boats that get over will depend on their reliability.

Levels are still ok at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see what happens over Easter. Hopefully BW will be monitoring traffic levels and making sensible adjustments with opening times.

I don't see why hire boats should be able to use the 'restricted' flights. You're paying a lot to do so. Just make sure you can get back or the hire company will be well pissed off.

Maybe get back with a day ot two in hand and if all goes well, pop along to Braunston etc.

We've got a young ish crew and tend to look out for things to do.

South Oxford Top pound – Nothing much for children except playing on the tow path

Banbury – Spiceball park next to the canal has a play area and there’s a sports centre with a swimming pool about 2 mins walk from Tom Rolt Bridge.

Usually stop at boat yards to buy ice cream e.g. Aynho Wharf & Lower Heyford

North of Kidlington there's a quarry where they can look for fossils

Oxford – Ferry leisure centre in Summertown has a nice pool – about 15 / 20 mins walk from the canal

There’s a play area and park by the 24hour moorings.

http://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/Ferry_Leisure_Centre/home

From Fenny Compton we usually take a slow cruise to Banbury. Stay 1 night for shopping & swimming.

Moor up south of Banbury before motorway for night and go for walk across fields.

Next day carry on south. Stop at Aynho for diesel & ice cream. Stop at Lower Heyford for night and go to The Bell.

Next day Stop at Oxfordshire Narrowboats for ice cream (just after breakfast!). Get in to Thrup some time around lunch. Arrive in Oxford for a late tea. Dad takes kids to park whilst mum has a rest.

Next day its a walk to the pool then into Oxford. Look out for the Oxford Tube at the bus station for a day out in London. Also go to the Oxford Natural history Museum, the Pitt Rivers and the History of Science Museums. Well worth a visit. Also think about a trip up Carfax tower.

Thanks for all the good advice,

problem is that I allready promised the little one visiting the Pitt Riever museaum in Oxford, as he is hugely into dinosaurs. So not going there is almost no option...

My other option was the Leicester Ring, but I understand that there is a lack of wet at Foxton as well.

I would like to make a point, that disencouraging hireboaters anywhere can't really be the answer to the drought problem. Other then CCers or other boatowners, this is my years holiday im hugely looking forward to and between the hirecosts and the ferryticket from Ireland it's not really cheap. Also I would believe that the hire industry woudn't be happy of having their punters being pi**ed off by telling them that they are 2nd class boaters.

And: How can it be that you guys are having a drought, after we had the wettest winter in Ireland in 25 years? But sure we will bring some much needed rain :-).

odet

Thanks for all the good advice,

problem is that I allready promised the little one visiting the Pitt Riever museaum in Oxford, as he is hugely into dinosaurs. So not going there is almost no option...

My other option was the Leicester Ring, but I understand that there is a lack of wet at Foxton as well.

I would like to make a point, that disencouraging hireboaters anywhere can't really be the answer to the drought problem. Other then CCers or other boatowners, this is my years holiday im hugely looking forward to and between the hirecosts and the ferryticket from Ireland it's not really cheap. Also I would believe that the hire industry woudn't be happy of having their punters being pi**ed off by telling them that they are 2nd class boaters.

And: How can it be that you guys are having a drought, after we had the wettest winter in Ireland in 25 years? But sure we will bring some much needed rain :-).

odet

You are not second class boaters, hirers are the reason the canal system has survived this long. Hire boats at ten percent of the vessels registered, but over 50% of the mileage covered, and probably 70% of the spend in canalside pubs etc from all boaters. Bankside visitors contribute more from spend in pubs etc, but wouldn't come to a canal with no boats moving.

That said, economic influence doesn't make it rain, and if the Oxford Canal runs out of water, it runs out. Go the way you intend to go if you feel you can't sell a different holiday to your family, but accept the limitations, which are there for a reason.

Is it not an option to go north, on the Northern Oxford, and head off down the Ashby Canal, with Bosworth Battlefield and Steam Railway at Shackerstone? Not many locks that way...

Also I would believe that the hire industry woudn't be happy of having their punters being pi**ed off by telling them that they are 2nd class boaters.

I certainly wasn't trying to say that.

I am very pro hire-boater, personally, and often defend their position against some idiots that own their own boats.

But, as has been said, if the water runs out, then it runs out, and there will be no question of hire boater versus non hire boater, or what class of citizen you are, nobody will be going anywhere. It will not matter if you have paid a small fortune - you'll still not be going anywhere!

Our local hire firm does not seem to have been too successful in persuading its early season hirers to share double locks with other boats. Ultimately they may wish they had tried harder, if their boats can't move at all! I guess the hirers boating before Easter may not be too concerned if other hirers will still be able to boat in the Autumn though - I'm not sure how you solve that one!

I had a look at Boddington Reservoir today and it looks to be, if anything, at least as full as it was this time last year - this could mean that the lock usage restrictions introduced a fortnight ago are working. If this is the case then, by taking appropriate measure early enough, BW have avoided the need for more severe restrictions later in the year . . .

@ alan

sorry, didn't want to be rude. I well understand that: No water = no boats moving. Also I don't understand, why people don't share locks. Apart from saving water ist much more enjoyable (mostly) and lightens the work. Also with a 57ft boat we will be hard pressed to find somebody to share on the Oxford.

odet

@ alan

sorry, didn't want to be rude. I well understand that: No water = no boats moving. Also I don't understand, why people don't share locks. Apart from saving water ist much more enjoyable (mostly) and lightens the work. Also with a 57ft boat we will be hard pressed to find somebody to share on the Oxford.

odet

Odet,

I do hope that you'll find that locks will be shared as much as possible, certainly you'll be able to share all double locks, but where single locks are being used, no narrowboats will be able to share - - only shorter grp cruisers

@ alan

odet

Odet the Oxford has only single locks.Only dayboat size share.

I came across the summit last week and it was not the best trip I have had over the top.

At Foxton last year hire boaters had priority on the flight.

Private boats could only use the flight if their mooring was on the other side.

As far as keeping the kids busy on the summit give them a bin liner and get them to litter pick otherwise its bird watching or collecting boat numbers.

Say hello when you get to Thrupp.

Odet the Oxford has only single locks.Only dayboat size share.

<snip>

And the hired-out dayboats won't share, even when there is enough room that they could (at least, last year they wouldn't), on the express instructions of the boatyard.