Up the Grand Union in drought

Dominic M

Featured Posts

Maybe I'm just getting old, but is it just me that can't stand this 'text' form of writing? If you are going to argue your case, at least make it clear what you are attempting to state.

Actually there are some people who have trouble with reading and writing.

Back to the subject - to be honest I'm not sure why there is any problem with letting someone in front who is travelling faster and further than others being allowed in front. It's not a race so if you are slower than them following, please let them in front!

Mike

ps. I've often lock wheeled boats in front of me (several boats in front at times) to try and get things moving... I was singled handed!!

Edited by Theo
To avoid giving offense, sorry

U just don't get it do you u got keep going on yea we did stay over Night the lock but we try to get it to the side and I got 10ton of coal on so the best think for me to do it's say in the locks and it was good for us to get up the cos how bad it's been with water ,,,,, but u was ok that Nigjt u come up to see us but then we all gone u post all this about us it's just bad news that's all your trying to tel eveone end of the day we lot deep in the water then u and we have got alot of time for overs that's my job as well as doing coal all over the canal and rivers might see u on the way back then we can have a nice chat about this then u name and shame r boats over the net !!!

This is a wind up isn't it? It's someone who thinks it would be funny to pretend to be the crew/steerer of Archimedes and come across as uneducated and arrogant at the same time, just to get the real crew into a stew? Must be...

I wasn't aware you had to have a degree in English to be a boatman. He isn't on a wind up and he posts exactly in the same manner on Facebook. Give him a break, please.

No I won't give him a break, although I accept that boat crews do not need a grasp of English.

I was actually trying to give the guy, assuming he is the skipper, a way to back out gracefully, because the post I quoted suggests that the crew of these boats have assumed a degree or priority based on carrying coal and being deep draughted. It's a bit like offering your place in the queue to the person behind who only wants a book of stamps, it is okay for me to offer it, it is not okay for them to demand it. It was not okay for the crew of Archimedes and Emu to presume to act as they did.

I meant - give him a break for not having a perfect command of English. As for everything else, I think we are going round in circles here. I hope this isn't a taster of what kind of summer boating we have to look forward too.

Yes it's annoying, it may be rude, but c'mon, no one has died, in the grand scheme of things does this really matter? (Just my opinion).

I wasn't aware you had to have a degree in English to be a boatman. He isn't on a wind up and he posts exactly in the same manner on Facebook. Give him a break, please.

You also don't need a degree in English to be allowed to post on this forum, which I for one am happy about.

Peter.

It feels to me a little reminiscent of the HGVs on roads.

I listen to many complaints about their antics and bad driving. And of course HGV drivers make mistakes, just like everyone else, but good HGV drivers aren't just watching the few cars ahead of them, they are thinking and planning miles ahead, they know what their limitations are and if they can't, for example, attain a certain speed before a long and winding hill, then they are going to be holding up a lot more traffic than they may do otherwise?

If we pass an HGV that is travelling fast up a long incline we don't give it a second thought, but we sure as hell get angry if we have to sit behind them getting slower and slower. And the reason my have simply been that an unthinking motorist wouldn't move over and given them the space they needed for the run up several miles back?

It does seem that communications might have been better in this case, and if it had been me I would like to think that I would have made the others aware of reasons for my actions, I can't see too many people complaining if they understand there was a sensible reason behind it?

Of course, HGV drivers don't get the chance to explain what they are doing, or why, and I don't think the sign language that usually follows helps much either ;)

I meant - give him a break for not having a perfect command of English. As for everything else, I think we are going round in circles here. I hope this isn't a taster of what kind of summer boating we have to look forward too.

Yes it's annoying, it may be rude, but c'mon, no one has died, in the grand scheme of things does this really matter? (Just my opinion).

I agree with you. It is nothing in the grand scheme of things and if you look at my opening post I mentioned what happened and nothing more than that. It was picked up on in responses and I then answered those. Perhaps I shouldn't, so I apologise for that. A forum is a forum, however.

Well one think I trying to do this all on my iPhone so some time it puts thinks in and thanks for saying about my education ,,,,, well not all of us done that well at school

I don't doubt that you do a great job servicing the many boats in the London area with essential supplies and that is welcome. It is also great to see boats like Archimedes on the canals. I was more aggrieved by certain responses that subsequently appeared on here. So may I simply say that it was one of those things that irked all the other waiting boats, and after you had departed there was a considerable amount of unfavourable comment at the lockside about the incident, which perhaps you should take on board. I do think you might care to withdraw your comment, "might see u on the way back then we can have a nice chat about this then u name and shame r boats over the net !!!" because that is a threat that I could do without and perhaps the forum moderators might question whether it is appropriate. If you do want to stop on your way back I will happily put the kettle on, because my probably ill-considered original reference to this was in passing, and has frankly got out of hand. Let peace rule!!

• Greenie 1

I agree with you. It is nothing in the grand scheme of things and if you look at my opening post I mentioned what happened and nothing more than that. It was picked up on in responses and I then answered those. Perhaps I shouldn't, so I apologise for that. A forum is a forum, however.

I don't doubt that you do a great job servicing the many boats in the London area with essential supplies and that is welcome. It is also great to see boats like Archimedes on the canals. I was more aggrieved by certain responses that subsequently appeared on here. So may I simply say that it was one of those things that irked all the other waiting boats, and after you had departed there was a considerable amount of unfavourable comment at the lockside about the incident, which perhaps you should take on board. I do think you might care to withdraw your comment, "might see u on the way back then we can have a nice chat about this then u name and shame r boats over the net !!!" because that is a threat that I could do without and perhaps the forum moderators might question whether it is appropriate. If you do want to stop on your way back I will happily put the kettle on, because my probably ill-considered original reference to this was in passing, and has frankly got out of hand. Let peace rule!!

That's exactly what you should do, as two grown up man, just have a nice chat while having a cuppa.

Peter.

• Greenie 1

Well one think I trying to do this all on my iPhone so some time it puts thinks in and thanks for saying about my education ,,,,, well not all of us done that well at school

I agree with that! My bloody ipod is great if you have small fingers buf my words get changed too.

Well that's the way we need to do it not all over the web so eveone can say there bit !! When they was not there

You were there, if you don't wish me to carry on please explain exactly why you felt the need to moor in the locks and then be first off the following morning, or, if this is not an accurate interpretation of events, say what I got wrong.

No-one died, no-one got injured. I accept that, but the arguments so far amount to your convenience at the situation outweighs every one else's inconvenience, after all, they were only held up 15 minutes, but 15 minutes times 12 lock workings is three hours collectively.

Lady Muck, I accept the point about the English Language, but not about this guys manners. I've loads of enemies already, a few more isn't a problem

....before you leap to judgement, I suggest you get out there with a pair with 10 tonne of coal on at dusk on a day of struggling through pounds with not enough water until you get to the last lock and the only place you can put your boats is in the lock.

Then you can make a judgement on "this guy's " manners

Chris, when the criticism comes from you, I take notice. I haven't done as you describe, but I have been at the wheel of a double deck bus and found cars in the bus layby, only to be followed by someone cutting me up at the lights.

But I still don't think I'd assume precedence. I am aware I am creating an argument on here, but I really, really would like to hear from the crew of Archimedes why they felt justified in doing what they did.

Edited to add, Chris, if I knew how to contact you, we'd be discussing this over a pint not on on an internet forum

Edited by magpie patrick

Edited to add, Chris, if I knew how to contact you, we'd be discussing this over a pint not on on an internet forum

Chris' contact details are freely available on the net if you know what to google for, I'll let him decide however if he wants to post them on here or PM them to you...

Chris, when the criticism comes from you, I take notice. I haven't done as you describe, but I have been at the wheel of a double deck bus and found cars in the bus layby, only to be followed by someone cutting me up at the lights.

But I still don't think I'd assume precedence. I am aware I am creating an argument on here, but I really, really would like to hear from the crew of Archimedes why they felt justified in doing what they did.

When I get criticised by Chris I feel as though I've just been seriously thrashed. Mind you, Chris might tell you that some people pay good money for that :)

Clue, Patrick: he's a pretty good web designer and not a million miles away from your residence.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. These are obviously genuinely working boatmen. I can tell this from the poor punctuation, grammar and spelling, leading me to suspect a low level of education?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but is it just me that can't stand this 'text' form of writing? If you are going to argue your case, at least make it clear what you are attempting to state.

Should that not be 'obviously genuine working boatmen' if one is to maintain one's own high standards?

When I get criticised by Chris I feel as though I've just been seriously thrashed. Mind you, Chris might tell you that some people pay good money for that :)

I seem to be turning up in a fair few forum member's fantasies this week.

I'm not sure whether I should find this disturbing.

But I did have to turn one member down, there is no way I am dressing up in clothes by George at Asda

I seem to be turning up in a fair few forum member's fantasies this week.

I'm not sure whether I should find this disturbing.

But I did have to turn one member down, there is no way I am dressing up in clothes by George at Asda

As I've said before Chris I'm actually the one that finds your fixation with items of my apparel disturbing, I'm not unsure about it, I know it's worrying -

Nostwaith dda Dominic :) ( good evening to everyone else :) whilst looking for a boat last year, i practiced a bit of welsh with Dominic :) Now returning back to the 'cut' after many years away and slowly on my way to Northampton, I only hope that the folk I meet on my way are more pleasant. I do recall years ago on the BCN that you had good boaters and bad. Sadly this is a bit of a reflection on some members of our society today .. to not give a damm about anyone else,but themselves. I can assure everyone lol that I always go slow past moored boats because its just common courtesey :)

i am in weedon on the grand union moored on the tow path as i have the right to under the cruising terms and there are loads of good people on the canals.. the poster talked about twenty years a go...when there was supermarket trolley trash, dead cats and canals that you could not navigate down ,our boat has been on the canal for 62 years we have pictures when there was no steel holiday homes that look down on other users, our canals are old and holiday homes are a very recent new comers to the waterways in the sceme of things.everyone has to look after our heritage and there is no excuse for rudeness no matter how much you have or do not have.

Clue, Patrick: he's a pretty good web designer and not a million miles away from your residence.

Spoken to him, we're having a drink (probably tea) next week.

Should that not be 'obviously genuine working boatmen' if one is to maintain one's own high standards?

I stand corrected. You were however able to understand my post? Spelling and grammar is one thing, not being bothered to type in anything other than "text" speak is another. Most people who post here are at least able to do so legibly. I have read the post a number of times and I am still not totally sure of what is being said.

Think it should be "...". Not '...'.

Absolutely!

"Tradesman's entrance for you, you ignorant oik." I said, as I sent him on his way.

Was he a sneaky butcher?

And there's nothing wrong with a damn fine thrashing from the school master!

Edited by Masquerade