which way to go??

Darren72

Featured Posts

We off setting off to Swanley Marina from Barton on Saturday morning. We are planning going straight up T+M to Middlewich and down to Swanley. 68 miles + 69 locks = 40 hrs

But going via Shroppie is 80 miles + 57 locks = 42 hrs. Theres only 2 hrs in it.

Less locks, more miles or less miles , more locks.

Which way would you go this time of year!

Do you prefer doing locks or not?

Everyone is different - which route gives the best options of overnight moorings. Which takes you through the type of countryside or towns you fancy seeing the most. There is no right or wrong, it is down to preference

Do you prefer doing locks or not?

Everyone is different - which route gives the best options of overnight moorings. Which takes you through the type of countryside or towns you fancy seeing the most. There is no right or wrong, it is down to preference

Not bothered by the locks, but more locks more chance of queueing.

There is. Kt much in it. I would choise by looking at the places passed through a d choising the route with the best shopping opportunities, best pubs and best restaurants. But then I am a glutton

Edited by jelunga

There is. Kt much in it. I would choise by looking at the places passed through a d choising the route with the best shopping opportunities, best pubs and best restaurants. But then I am a glutton

Going to study the book on Friday night!

We off setting off to Swanley Marina from Barton on Saturday morning. We are planning going straight up T+M to Middlewich and down to Swanley. 68 miles + 69 locks = 40 hrs

But going via Shroppie is 80 miles + 57 locks = 42 hrs. Theres only 2 hrs in it.

Which ways got most water ?

Some might suggest the Shroppie is more scenic, but the T & M is more varied.

Edited by PhilR

I love the T&M. IMHO it's more varied; scenic in many parts but with loads of urban interest too. And you feel like you are getting somewhere.

I'd always choose Heartbreak Hill over Audlem any day - the double locks, where available, really speed things up if needed.

I always find the Shroppie a bit "samey", especially the cuttings.

On the flip side, the embankments at this time of year are great, until the leaves appear back on the trees and obliterate the views.

But they're both smashing canals, so you should have a great trip.

Enjoy - whichever way you go.

Personal preference I suppose, but they are very varied but enjoyable routes. For the scenery, I'd go for the Shroppie.

We'll keep a look out for you - we're leaving Kings Bromley sometime Saturday and heading towards Barton and on down the Soar. Have a good trip.

Personal preference I suppose, but they are very varied but enjoyable routes. For the scenery, I'd go for the Shroppie.

We'll keep a look out for you - we're leaving Kings Bromley sometime Saturday and heading towards Barton and on down the Soar. Have a good trip.

Give us a wave! We'll be passing you sometime Saturday.

Hope you enjoy your trip which ever route you take.

I should declare an interest ,I also enjoy spending time in traditional pub which serve outstanding real ale and from that point of view the T&M knocks the Shroppie into a cocked hat.The Blue Bell,Kidsgrove; The White Star and The Glebe,Stoke Town;The Royal Exchange and The Swan Inn in Stone:Coopers Tavern ,Burton on Trent are all outstanding pubs IMHO. The recent change of hands at the renamed Holy Inadequate in Etruria is also on my list of pubs due a revisit.

The Shroppie is by comparison much less well served ,but thats just my opinion.I struggled to find any outstanding ale all the way up until we hit the delights of Chester.

May bump into you next week as I should be navigating from Fradley to Burton on Thursday,all being well on the way up from Hillmorton :cheers:

Hope you enjoy your trip which ever route you take.

I should declare an interest ,I also enjoy spending time in traditional pub which serve outstanding real ale and from that point of view the T&M knocks the Shroppie into a cocked hat.The Blue Bell,Kidsgrove; The White Star and The Glebe,Stoke Town;The Royal Exchange and The Swan Inn in Stone:Coopers Tavern ,Burton on Trent are all outstanding pubs IMHO. The recent change of hands at the renamed Holy Inadequate in Etruria is also on my list of pubs due a revisit.

The Shroppie is by comparison much less well served ,but thats just my opinion.I struggled to find any outstanding ale all the way up until we hit the delights of Chester.

May bump into you next week as I should be navigating from Fradley to Burton on Thursday,all being well on the way up from Hillmorton :cheers:

Leaving Barton on Saturday am, be past Fradley by 2pm.