Advance notice

David

Featured Posts

Hi

If you happen to have looked at the for sale section you will see I have posted the link (subject to mod's approval)to our broker for the, very reluctant, sale of MisterB, brought about by changed circumstances our moving aboard after getting it fully set up for living are now a none starter.

Hence when the boat is no longer ours I will be selling my stock of spares unless the new owner wishes to buy them.

So Kelvin perverts watch this space.

david

Hi

If you happen to have looked at the for sale section you will see I have posted the link (subject to mod's approval)to our broker for the, very reluctant, sale of MisterB, brought about by changed circumstances our moving aboard after getting it fully set up for living are now a none starter.

Hence when the boat is no longer ours I will be selling my stock of spares unless the new owner wishes to buy them.

So Kelvin perverts watch this space.

david

I HAD noticed David. My commiserations. Not sure what else to say....

...except yes I would be interested in your Kelvin spares. What do you have? In particular do you have a petrol dispenser?

I can feel a J3 coming on sooner or later, just need to find one. And of course another bote to put it in ;)

Hi

thanks for the commiserations, but things change, sorry no petrol dispenser, what I have is engine bits, main bits being 3 new liners (real kelvin ones) brand new injector pump (with elements replaced would also fit a K3) valve guides, push rod tubing,

Also a new unused split pulley fitted with a sprocket to fit the J water pump crank and turn it into a chain drive for a jabasco type pump if the plunger pump is U/S. A large bronze forward and reverse / throttle hand lever control embossed kelvin, some time I will photo it.

Also 2 good cylinders with good liners but they require the pieces cut out to remove the solidified coal dust (Ithink it was) welding back in or plating over with gasket and screws etc. I do have also a J3, (no heads or cylinders any good) and gearbox but not dismantled or inspected but look good stored at my mates.

regards david

Hi

thanks for the commiserations, but things change, sorry no petrol dispenser, what I have is engine bits, main bits being 3 new liners (real kelvin ones) brand new injector pump (with elements replaced would also fit a K3) valve guides, push rod tubing,

Also a new unused split pulley fitted with a sprocket to fit the J water pump crank and turn it into a chain drive for a jabasco type pump if the plunger pump is U/S. A large bronze forward and reverse / throttle hand lever control embossed kelvin, some time I will photo it.

Also 2 good cylinders with good liners but they require the pieces cut out to remove the solidified coal dust (Ithink it was) welding back in or plating over with gasket and screws etc. I do have also a J3, (no heads or cylinders any good) and gearbox but not dismantled or inspected but look good stored at my mates.

regards david

Also commiserations from me David.

Don't think I'll be in the market for your J3 spares with my K2 but I'm sure they will find a good home. Perhaps Andy Bruce at Seaward would be interested if no one else is?

Have you seen that Kevin Whittle is selling off all his spares now?

Still got the gun metal plaques you organised for so many of us who frequented Pete Lock's late lamented Engine Digest forum!

Richard

Edited by rjasmith

Hi

regards david

I would be interested in the remains of the J3- let me know if it isn't sold with the boat.

Regards

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for all good wishes, will let you know in due course how it goes and what I may have left to dispose of.

regards David

P.S no more plaques richard, just my own in the engine room, god knows what they would cost today we did them just in time before the price of gunny etc went bonkers.

• 2 years later...

I have a plaque. The originals were in gun metal (copper/tin alloy) as opposed to brass ( copper/zinc alloy). Brass ones would not be the right colour.

What I would be even more interested in is finding a jobbing foundry and machinist able to produce a batch of cylinders- I have the (proven) cylinder pattern and core boxes and a 2D CAD drawing of the cylinder. The ability to cast 25 kg of iron seems scarce these days unless about 5000 units are wanted.

N

Gunmetal is a Bronze. Some does contain a little Zinc- Admiralty Gunmetal for instance was Cu 88% Sn 10% and Zn 2%.. Other Gunmetals such as LG-2 and LG-3 contained Lead or Nickel.(G3)

Then there is Aluminium Bronze and Phosphor Bronze....

N