Dunston Fen

Grebe

Featured Posts

I live near it and fish down there sometimes.

The last time I was there (in February) the pub was still closed though there are people living in the flat/s on the first floor. There were rumours then that it is to re-open as a pub later this year

I'll have a run down later today or tomorrow and see what I can find out

Friends of ours have bought it and plan to re-open (as a pub) by Easter.

After bar refurbishment etc they were planning to open a few weeks ago but Environmental Health would not let them until they had a 'Commercial Kitchen with hand washing facilities in place'.

They were not planning to immedately sell food - just crisps and nuts - however to sell crsips and nuts you MUST have a kitchen !!!!!

Still has the moorings and boaters welcome

(Dan is now a 'boater' as he bought my Fairline)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That would be great Bazza.

We've not been for a couple of years.

A nice potoon and a decent meal. We used to use the laundry and showers that were part of the caravan site and our friends got gas there once when they ran out unexpectedly.

We only ever went once, must be over three years ago now as we had only had NC for a couple of weeks. The food was good and the welcome was very friendly but the week after the pub shut down.

The same weekend we went to the White Horse was the weekend we got a little drunk in the pub and didnt realise how much rain we had over night. Somehow we didnt even notice that the river was about 6ft higher on the way back (evenrtually got uch higher and topped Bardney Lock). We got stranded at Barndey for a week whilst the flood waters subsided and they reopened Stamp End Lock. Fun times :rolleyes:

Friends of ours have bought it and plan to re-open (as a pub) by Easter.

After bar refurbishment etc they were planning to open a few weeks ago but Environmental Health would not let them until they had a 'Commercial Kitchen with hand washing facilities in place'.

They were not planning to immedately sell food - just crisps and nuts - however to sell crsips and nuts you MUST have a kitchen !!!!!

Still has the moorings and boaters welcome

(Dan is now a 'boater' as he bought my Fairline)

BS.... :closedeyes:

BS.... :closedeyes:

I'll pass that information onto them so they can discuss it with the District Council.

(Although they are now 'sorted' and plan to open in the next couple of weeks)

They are new to the 'Pub' business and its amazing what they have been told they need - the last one they told me was that they had to have a 'fire-resistant' certificates for the new carpets - now that is BS

Smudge goes down there every week to empty their bins so has been kept up to date on what's happening.

We are going down at the end of this month for their 'opening' weekend, anyone wish to join us?

:cheers: :cheers:

I'm up for it.

Its great to see a pub opening rather than countless ones closing down.

Keep us posted with the opening and we'll see you there :cheers:

Smudge goes down there every week to empty their bins so has been kept up to date on what's happening.

We are going down at the end of this month for their 'opening' weekend, anyone wish to join us?

:cheers: :cheers:

It very much depends which weekend they are opening. We are (hopefully) on holiday at the end of the month. If we are around we will certainly be coming down however :cheers:

I'm up for it.

Its great to see a pub opening rather than countless ones closing down.

Keep us posted with the opening and we'll see you there :cheers:

We'll be leaving Chapel Hill on Friday 30th after w*rk (6ish) with a couple of other boats, so if you want to join us for a cruise down there you are most welcome. Otherwise, we should be at Dunston for about 8ish.

Not sure if this is his 'offical' opening, but he is getting the beer in that week and as he's a novice, would i go down and help out either side of the bar! ;)

We'll be leaving Chapel Hill on Friday 30th after w*rk (6ish) with a couple of other boats, so if you want to join us for a cruise down there you are most welcome. Otherwise, we should be at Dunston for about 8ish.

Not sure if this is his 'offical' opening, but he is getting the beer in that week and as he's a novice, would i go down and help out either side of the bar! ;)

Thanks for the offer. I would love to cruise there myself. The boat isnt anywhere near ready yet unfortunately.

So we will see you there. It'll be nice to put faces to names. :D

Bugger! I'm going fishing with two of my brothers at Lowestoft that weekend

I was talking to the bar maid in my local last night

It turns out that it is her Mum and Dad who have bought the White Horse

They hope to have the grand opening next weekend 31st March 1st April

If that doesn't work it will open for Easter weekend

I'll pass that information onto them so they can discuss it with the District Council.

(Although they are now 'sorted' and plan to open in the next couple of weeks)

They are new to the 'Pub' business and its amazing what they have been told they need

It never ceases to amaze me how many people fancy running a pub and just go for it. There is a massive amount of knowledge and know how needed to be sucesfull. The main failure I found over the years with the Health people is he ice machine and would you believe many publicans dont even know why it is checked !! How many times do you see a barperson/Landlord/landlady use a glass to dip in to the ice bucket for your G and T :o that one will get you an astronomical fine for very obvious reasons.

I trained management couples for a national brewery until I packed the game in, my son still does it. I would be more than happy to help if I can with their set up. It is best to ring the council Public health section and ASK them to come and check your set up, they are always helpfull and there will be no charge and they can advise you before you upset them. :cheers:

• Greenie 1

It never ceases to amaze me how many people fancy running a pub and just go for it. There is a massive amount of knowledge and know how needed to be sucesfull. The main failure I found over the years with the Health people is he ice machine and would you believe many publicans dont even know why it is checked !! How many times do you see a barperson/Landlord/landlady use a glass to dip in to the ice bucket for your G and T :o that one will get you an astronomical fine for very obvious reasons.

I trained management couples for a national brewery until I packed the game in, my son still does it. I would be more than happy to help if I can with their set up. It is best to ring the council Public health section and ASK them to come and check your set up, they are always helpfull and there will be no charge and they can advise you before you upset them. :cheers:

Mr Smelly . .. .

My dear chap -= - that is excellent advice - and a most generous offer