BW Facilities At The Black Country Museum

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

It is some time since we visited the BCLM by boat, but I thought its expensive BW facilities block had showers. In fact I thought I had used them.

However the Waterscape boaters guides do not list the BCLM facilities as having them.

Does anybody know for certain, please ?

(I bet "Stuart" would, but he no longer seems to post!).

I've moored there a couple of times and there are decent toilet and shower facilities on the opposite side to the museum.

The moorings are "secure" so you will also need your BW key should you be daring enough to venture outside into the wilds of Tipton!

Edited to say they would be just out of shot on the right hand side of this photo:

166627_1848203322781_1171629457_32259810_1918031_n.jpg

Edited by PaulG

I've moored there a couple of times and there are decent toilet and shower facilities on the opposite side to the museum.

Yes, thanks!

That's the ones I meant, but the Waterscape down-loadable guides omit the "showers" bit.

It's either a mistake, or they have for some reason taken them out of use.

How recently do you know they existed, please ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes, thanks!

That's the ones I meant, but the Waterscape down-loadable guides omit the "showers" bit.

It's either a mistake, or they have for some reason taken them out of use.

How recently do you know they existed, please ?

I think it was about September last year Alan, so my information may be a bit out of date.

I think it was about September last year Alan, so my information may be a bit out of date.

No, that's good information. fairly certain y wife tried to make a list from Waterscape of where the showers are before then, and that this one failed to show up.

These things become important in a boat lacking most facilities!

There were showers last time I was there. There used to be a laundry room as well once but that closed. I haven't been there for over a year though.

There was a nice Chinese and chippy just a few mins walk away from the moorings up on the main road.

I have firsthand knowledge of both the showers and the (now defunct you say) laundry.

On holiday two years ago we moored there to wash some towels that had inadvertently become wet. It was decided that it would be a good idea to make use of the showers instead of filling and refilling the water tank and using the onboard water heating facilities as there were six people wanting a shower. All went well until my turn when, with the towels washing nicely I proceeded with my ablutions, I had arrived at the “conditioner in hair” stage when all went dark and quiet, no shower, no washer. As the boat was right outside I contemplated wrapping myself in a towel and finishing my shower on board sending the men to investigate the power failure.

The angels were definitely on my side when I decided to get dressed!

I went outside, the door closing behind me with my belongings inside to be greeted with the sight of the boat sailing away to a mooring on the opposite side of the canal! No amount of shouting attracted the attention of those on board so there was nothing for it but to walk along the towpath, over the bridge on front of the tunnel and along the other side which is part of the Black Country Museum, quite a long way when you are damp, hurriedly dressed with a hairdo the average savage would be proud of, sticking up and slathered in conditioner. Imagine my embarrassment as I realised I was going to have to walk through a group of museum goers numbering around thirty in all patiently seated waiting to go on a boat trip through the tunnel . They stared, some giggled and most moved out of my way, whether that was to do with my dishevelled appearance or the look of thunder on my face as I contemplated what I was going to say to the bright sparks who had abandoned me I will never know!

My only comfort was that I could have had to do it clad only on a fetching pink towel! :blush:

(I bet "Stuart" would, but he no longer seems to post!).

Theres always a PM you know!

Yes there are showers there (good condition as well) along with elsan, toilets and pump out.