Any K & A problems/stoppages near Woolhampton ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

I was thinking of a cruise this weekend starting from near Woolhampton - I think Monkey Marsh is shut 'till the end of the month, but are there any other problems that I have missed between there and say the Thames at the moment, that could delay us ?

Thanks,

Nick

I was thinking of a cruise this weekend starting from near Woolhampton - I think Monkey Marsh is shut 'till the end of the month, but are there any other problems that I have missed between there and say the Thames at the moment, that could delay us ?

Thanks,

Nick

Monkey Marsh is scheduled to reopen tomorrow 9th March, Hungerford Marsh is the one which does not open until 23rd March, at least that is the current information.

Ken

Monkey Marsh is scheduled to reopen tomorrow 9th March, Hungerford Marsh is the one which does not open until 23rd March, at least that is the current information.

Ken

OK - thanks guys - will head out West for a change then... biggrin.gif

Nick

Ken

Any advance on this onformation - Hungerford Marsh 23rd? Is there a huge backlog of jammed up boats either side? Asking because planning to go through there on 24th and BW extension of the works will create havoc in a carefully designed plan.

Good to hear you are getting out for a cruise Nick. Hope you have a good time and the weather is kind.

Will pm you.

Jo.

Thanks Jo,

Weather looking good this weekend, Sunday the better day..

Catch up soon...

Nick

Any advance on this onformation - Hungerford Marsh 23rd? Is there a huge backlog of jammed up boats either side? Asking because planning to go through there on 24th and BW extension of the works will create havoc in a carefully designed plan.

I wouldn't have thought so, there was a window to clear all the stoppages just after New Year, so I assume anyone who wanted to get through left then. Rik who lives on his boat at Kintbury said he hasn't seen much movement recently and we haven't seen much around Newbury.

If you want to make sure give the Devizes office a call 01380 722859

Ken

There's about 8 boats trapped in Hungerford at the moment waiting to escape, none at Kintbury and I doubt there are any waiting directly above Cobblers but people may be waiting at Great Bedwyn to come east.

Have heard rumours that Hungerford Marsh may be open by the end of next week, but it's only a rumour.

Rik

Have heard not open till Easter ,but that is only towpath gossip, and not a very reliable source . Having a walk up to the lock on Wednesday. If I hear anything will post. Bunny

There was another stoppage upstream of Hungerford yesterday. I am not sure what exactly it was, a lock or a bridge. All I saw was a big boom across the river and lots of that orange mesh. Whatever it was, the river is closed there.

I passed Great Bedwyn last week and it was very buzy, mmainly boats Hungerford and beyond bound from what i have heard.

Kennet looked quite healthy where it joins the canal on the small pound at Hamstead Marshall between Locks 81 and 82 ( think thats the two).

Update on the short cruise yesterday... Sunday 11/3/12

We were late in setting off, from near Aldermaston, but headed west, through Woolhampton, Old Heale's Lock and Midgham Lock. We were surprised to see very little traffic on the water, being as the day was cloudless with no wind ... literally Tee-shirt weather.. After Midgham, we turned, stopped for a couple of hours for lunch before returning. On this short section we were unaware of any water shortages and all looked "normal".

I see though that in the papers today there are hosepipe bans imminent due to the lack of rainfall over the last couple of years, so we will definitely make a point of checking local knowledge, especially prior to trips heading upstream - perhaps spend some of the summer on the Thames this year...

Thanks for all the comments - very helpful

Nick