Is the RYA Helmsman Training worth it? Or better to jump straight in? (metaphorically)

cl@rkey

Featured Posts

I haven't done one of these courses and my opinions are based on previous discussions on this forum and experiences of people I've met, as well as having shared a lock with an instructor who IMO was giving very dodgy advice to his pupils. I would conclude that if you are a complete novice, then it is a good place to start, BUT do not take everything they say as gospel; some RYA instructors are not very heavily steeped in canal boating or narrow boating and there may be better ways of doing things which you will learn through experience and from other boaters over time.

I haven't done one of these courses and my opinions are based on previous discussions on this forum and experiences of people I've met, as well as having shared a lock with an instructor who IMO was giving very dodgy advice to his pupils. I would conclude that if you are a complete novice, then it is a good place to start, BUT do not take everything they say as gospel; some RYA instructors are not very heavily steeped in canal boating or narrow boating and there may be better ways of doing things which you will learn through experience and from other boaters over time.

Thanks Chertsey, I'll certainly bear that in mind. I just want a solid starting point from which to learn more. Out of interest, what was the dodgy advice being offered by the instructor?

I can vouch for that having gone cruising with one of our local RYA instructors pupils. Upon entering Cromwell Lock, heading upstream, the lady on the bow of the boat produced a short (no more than 750mm long) piece of rope to thread through the slider in the wall and hold on to.

Needless to say we told her to put that away and use her bow rope which was attached to the boat and let the boat and its cleat do the work. Had she insisted on holding her stubby bit of rope, the force of the water entering the lock, especially as we were at the front of the lock, would have pulled her off the bow of the boat. :wacko:

If you fancy reading about single handing this book often pops up on here as being recommended reading -

http://www.canaljunction.com/boat/singlehand.htm

I'd also re-enforce the point made about single hiring, before we owned we hired quite a lot (NB's and the broads) and it was quite common to see a minimum crew of 2 as a stipulation in their T&C's.

We have come across a few single handed hirers on the Broads. They did all seem very competent though, much more so than the boats with crews of 10-12 :rolleyes:

We have come across a few single handed hirers on the Broads. They did all seem very competent though, much more so than the boats with crews of 10-12 :rolleyes:

Not sure how they are managing to do that as if you try to book even a small Hampton Safari with Hoseasons as an example with only one person you get the following -

Please review the following errors:

Two ‘crew’ needed! You’ll need at least 2 able and active adults to handle your boat properly. Please call 0844 847 1356 to continue.

Which would mean they are possibly turning up with someone who they drop off after they pick the boat up or they call and manage to convince Hoseasons they are competent to handle the boat on their own.

On the Blakes site the minimum number the party size box drops down to is 2.

Not sure how they are managing to do that as if you try to book even a small Hampton Safari with Hoseasons as an example with only one person you get the following -

Please review the following errors:

Two crew needed! Youll need at least 2 able and active adults to handle your boat properly. Please call 0844 847 1356 to continue.

Which would mean they are possibly turning up with someone who they drop off after they pick the boat up or they call and manage to convince Hoseasons they are competent to handle the boat on their own.

On the Blakes site the minimum number the party size box drops down to is 2.

Or they ring the boat yard and book direct with them. Talking to a person is often far more productive than dealing with a computer system :cheers:

We always booked over the telephone rather than via the web and always managed to get a better deal than those advertised on the Blakes website. That said we did use the same yard five years running. :cheers:

ETA: Thinking about it IIRC they all seemed to be from Royall's boat yard. Are they not a private yard still rather than a part of Hoseasons or Blakes?

Edited by Phylis

Thanks Chertsey, I'll certainly bear that in mind. I just want a solid starting point from which to learn more. Out of interest, what was the dodgy advice being offered by the instructor?

I can't remember exactly, it was something to do with tying up in locks. He also told me that my boat wouldn't fit in the lock (it did, of course) and then turned to my (male) OH to discuss the boat (my boat!!)

I've a feeling Phylis and I could be talking about the same person; this occurred in one of the wide locks at the bottom of the Chesterfield so not someone you need fear running into.

It is just an example of how being an RYA qualified instructor doesn't guarantee that a person knows much about canal (or it appears, river) boating, but there are many who do of course.

Or they ring the boat yard and book direct with them. Talking to a person is often far more productive than dealing with a computer system :cheers:

We always booked over the telephone rather than via the web and always managed to get a better deal than those advertised on the Blakes website. That said we did use the same yard five years running. :cheers:

We tried the same with Summercraft at Wroxham once where we became regular customers and they told us they weren't allowed to under cut Hoseasons :(

ETA: Thinking about it IIRC they all seemed to be from Royall's boat yard. Are they not a private yard still rather than a part of Hoseasons or Blakes?

Hoseasons AFAIK.

But as you say they may be a bit more flexible if folk ring direct.

We tried the same with Summercraft at Wroxham once where we became regular customers and they told us they weren't allowed to under cut Hoseasons :(

This was with Barnes Brinkcraft who operate under Blakes. Always a friendly bunch :cheers:

If you fancy reading about single handing this book often pops up on here as being recommended reading -

http://www.canaljunction.com/boat/singlehand.htm

I've known about this book for a while... and now I've ordered it. Thanks.

I'd also re-enforce the point made about single hiring, before we owned we hired quite a lot (NB's and the broads) and it was quite common to see a minimum crew of 2 as a stipulation in their T&C's.

I've been invited to a beer festival in Rugby at the end of April, so maybe I can convince a beer buddy to join me on a hire boat? We'll see.

Hmm, probably best done a few days after the festival! :cheers:

I can't remember exactly, it was something to do with tying up in locks. He also told me that my boat wouldn't fit in the lock (it did, of course) and then turned to my (male) OH to discuss the boat (my boat!!)

Your indignation is almost palpable, Chertsey! How dare he!! :)

Your indignation is almost palpable, Chertsey! How dare he!! :)

It was actually quite funny. OH was having one of his 'why did you have to go and buy a bloody working boat' days so when the guy asked him something about the engine he just said 'I dunno. Ask her, it's her boat.'

It did say something about the guy's attitude though.

It did say something about the guy's attitude though.

I wonder if it was more about you proving him wrong (re: your boat fitting in the lock), especially in front of his students?

But again, that still says something about his attitude. :)

Thanks Richard, I'll check that out.

And thanks to everyone else involved in this thread.

I do feel more confident with my next steps forward now. :cheers:

If you find anywhere that will hire to a singlehander do let me know. I couldn't find anywhere when I looked last year. Insurance issues so I was told.

I'm not holding out much hope, but I'll definitely let you know if I do!

Looby,

It looks like these guys do, if you don't mind tug-style narrowboats (40ft & 42ft)

http://www.saisons.co.uk/index.html

They quote prices for 1-2 people, and I got to their site via this page.

Saisons are mentioned in this previous thread as is Chas Harden as some one who will hire to single handers - it's an old thread though so things may have changed.

Old thread linky

Link to Chas Harden

Edited by MJG

Saisons are mentioned in this previous thread as is Chas Harden as some one who will hire to single handers - it's an old thread though so things may have changed.

Old thread linky

Link to Chas Harden

I keep seeing references to hire companies not providing single-handed holidays because of insurance reasons. Would I be right to infer from this that single-handed boaters pay higher insurance premiums?

I keep seeing references to hire companies not providing single-handed holidays because of insurance reasons. Would I be right to infer from this that single-handed boaters pay higher insurance premiums?

I don't think so and I do wonder if the Insurance don't like it is just an easy excuse not to hire to singles, bit like shouting Health and Safety.

I don't believe our insurance says anything about single handing at all, so I suspect on private boat insurance it is not relevant at all.

I can see that on hire insurance it may stipulate there must be 2 adults though, but perhaps it is just an excuse by the hire companies not to do it.

Edited by john6767

No idea bud...I simply provided links to hire co.s willing to hire to single handers....

No idea bud...I simply provided links to hire co.s willing to hire to single handers....

It was mentioned in your "Old thread linky", which prompted my reply. I wasn't asking you directly, Martin, just thought someone might know. I seriously doubt insurance is the reason.

It was mentioned in your "Old thread linky", which prompted my reply. I wasn't asking you directly, Martin, just thought someone might know. I seriously doubt insurance is the reason.

As you quoted me I took it as you were asking me directly

- there are a good few single handers on here who should know if they pay more, I actually doubt they do as I've just quickly skimmed our policy and can't see any stipulation about crew size so I imagine other ins. co's would be the same.

cl@rkey

I'm in process of renewing our insurance for our liveaboard- - - and so far have got four quotations - - not one of them has enquired of, or has stipulations, whether the boat will be singlehanded.

(It doesn't alter the terms that hirers may stipulate of course)

Hope all goes well for you - - I applaud your thorough, and responsible, approach