chester

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi,

Would it be possible for a leisurely trip to get from Chester to Lymm in three and a half 6hr days with just two on board, I reckon i can doit from LYMM to chester first three and a half ,will be four of us and probably do at least 6 hours going there so wont be a problem, Ijust dont want to leave myself too much to do going back, as i like to try the different hostelries etcand dont want to feel rushed, i know technically it can be done according to canal plan,turning at cow lane,W. ld the considered opinion be that i will manage it easily.Any thoughts welcomed . Cheers Tim

You can always just see how it goes, as the Middlewich Branch can get very busy if the Weather is nice. If you need to make up time, stop at the top of the locks into Chester by the Old Trooper or Cheshire Cat Pubs ( if you want to go into town just walk in or get the bus from the park & ride). It really is a pleasant fairly gentle journey, without too many locks.

You can always just see how it goes, as the Middlewich Branch can get very busy if the Weather is nice. If you need to make up time, stop at the top of the locks into Chester by the Old Trooper or Cheshire Cat Pubs ( if you want to go into town just walk in or get the bus from the park & ride). It really is a pleasant fairly gentle journey, without too many locks.

Cheers for that, but my point is Ican get there no prob, but coming back there will only be two of us one being female,so is it leaving too much to do for an easy cruise back or would i be rushing..

Cheers for that, but my point is Ican get there no prob, but coming back there will only be two of us one being female,so is it leaving too much to do for an easy cruise back or would i be rushing..

If you follow the instructions of NB Alton as above then no problem at all for what you want to do and the pace that you want. To stop at the Cheshire Cat will save you a considerable amount of time, and should be no rush at all. My wife and I, first time boaters managed this last June.

Edited by Burgiesburnin

If you follow the instructions of NB Alton as above then no problem at all for what you want to do and the pace that you want. To stop at the Cheshire Cat will save you a considerable amount of time, and should be no rush at all. My wife and I, first time boaters managed this last June.

Yeah your right, had a look at pearsons and the cheshire cat is the best option to turn at,also the run into Chester after that doesnt look that too attractive,although would of liked to look at Chester from the canal, but can leave that for another longer trip,or when i get my own nb.Thanks for the advice.Tim

would of liked to look at Chester from the canal,

There is a park&Ride that operates from Christleton into Chester, not far from the Cat.

It can take a while to drop down to Chester from Christleton - 5 wide locks each way and fairly limited moorings unless you do the Northgate Staircase down to Telford Basin which will add another couple of hours each way. So yes, you would be better stopping at Chrisleton.

If you do want to look at Chester from the canal then the Mill Hotel runs afternoon tea cruises using their wide beam trip boat, but to be honest I prefer to see the canal from up on the walls rather than the other way round. Also if you haven't had enough of boating there are trip boats & rowing boats etc on the River Dee. Chester is a lovely town to discover on Foot, especially the walls.

Chester is a lovely town to discover on Foot, especially the walls.

We spent a very pleasant weekend in Chester at the end of Jan. Saturday wandering round the town, along the canal, the river, and the museum was not bad either. Then Sunday at the waterways museum at Ellesmere Port, which was much better then I expected.

Yeah,have been Chester a few times before and know its nice,but like all trips on a nb you have to make choices if your limited to time, do i make the travelling time on the boat shorter to give me more time to explore,and stop off at different places , or just stop anywhere nice, even in the middle of nowhere,to just be on the canal in the tranquility,weather makes a difference, sometimes for the best so your forced into a pub and g/f agrees with the choice , great,so basically best plan is not to plan but we have to have a basic idea and go round that ,but cant wait to get older[dont think i really mean that, just think since ive decided to do what i want, cant wait] and not have to work ever again....three years to go till i can join the club unless sods law takes effect.Thanks for the help before I ramble too much about....etc etc etc

Hi,

Would it be possible for a leisurely trip to get from Chester to Lymm in three and a half 6hr days with just two on board, I reckon i can doit from LYMM to chester first three and a half ,will be four of us and probably do at least 6 hours going there so wont be a problem, Ijust dont want to leave myself too much to do going back, as i like to try the different hostelries etcand dont want to feel rushed, i know technically it can be done according to canal plan,turning at cow lane,W. ld the considered opinion be that i will manage it easily.Any thoughts welcomed . Cheers Tim

Only been to Chester once by boat (1996) but my overriding memories of the trip was that it was..

1) cold - the only trip we've ever done with snow/sleet and that was in late May !

2) a long way - there was one section where there were moored boats as far as thr eye could see.. which being considerate, made for slow going...

We did manage to fit Chester into a weeks hire in which we also did The Four Counties Ring from Great Haywood.