Pump out tank

DustyDave

Featured Posts

I started the job of seeing how to remove my pump out tank today. I removed the boxing round it, then tried lifting one side to see if it would move. There was no sign of movement at all. After a little thought I got the lump hammer out and hit it. Still no movement. I don't think it's attached to the hull as it appears to be sat on the floor. Is it possible it's glued to the floor? There is carpet glued to the top of it....no doubt to reduce condensation. My next plan is to try and pull it apart by cutting down the weld lines. Not sure it will work but it's the sort of destruction I enjoy.

Any thoughts?

Dave

The base of the tank might be your hull base plate.

It's not unknown.

Yes, I thought that, but wasn't sure about the "as it appears to be sat on the floor", which I took to mean it might actually be on top of the boats wooden flooring, (which sounds odd to me, as it would make it higher up than it needs to be).

I would have thought it fairly obvious if it were on top of a wooden floor, but as Andy says, often a mild steel tank is entirely "integral" with the bottom (i.e. the baseplate) of the boat forming the bottom of the tank. Have you definitely ruled that possibility out ?

Do please consider that it could be an integral tank welded to the hull bottom plate.

Wouldnt that make fitting it in the first place very complicated having to cut, fit & weld the tank sides around the floor bearers? or would the bearers be fitted round the tank? Or would the tank be sat on & possibly welded to the bearers & the floor fitted round it?

Seems like theres lots of ways to do it.

Steve

I'm almost 100% sure the tank is not integral to the hull. I've managed to get a screwdriver a cm under the edge but at the same time above the floor. I had the tank pumped out last year with the intention of removing it over winter. Unfortunately personal circumstances took a turn for the worse so I've been unable to do anything up until now. I thought if it would move a bit I might consider getting a few people to help me carry it out of the boat. As it won't move at all that's a bit pointless. I know there is a lot of stuff stuck inside the tank but I can't see it being possible to remove this without opening up the tank first. My current intention is to get part of the top off so I can see inside (and hopefully discover I haven't made a huge mistake). Then I intend to use cat litter to suck up the liquid. I can then shovel this into buckets and remove. As long as I get it all done quickly I don't expect the smell to linger for long. Once cleaned out I can take the sides off. Then I'll be able to investigate why the bottom won't move.

Just in case anybody knows the builder it was built by Wessex Narrowboats in 2001 for private use (never been a hire boat).

Cheers,

Dave

My tank(s) were integral to the hull. This wasn't realised till one was being removed. The top had been cut off it then the had to call in a surveyor to advise what to do. They inserted stringers in to support the hull because that widthways strengthening of tho hull had been lost by taking the top off the tank. It wasn't a cheap or straightforward job

• 1 month later...

A little update on an old thread. I took a good look round the edges of the tank to check if the lino came out from underneath all sides. It did so I started cutting it up. I used a jigsaw with some metal cutting blades. I got through a fair few but managed to cut the top off. There was a little waste in the bottom of the tank but not too much. Once the top was off and the inside cleaned out I tried lifting the whole tank. It moved but not enough to make me think it could be lifted out - at least I knew it wasn't glued to the floor. I ended up cutting up the rest into manageable pieces. It looks like I got it out just in time as the heavy rusting was starting to eat through the tank (all the way through in some places). Using the jigsaw wasn't much fun but at least it made a lot less mess than an angle grinder.

Now I need to measure up for a new tank. Think it will be a plastic one this time.

Dave

Just to add to this for others info.....

My boat, A 1983 Mike Heywood, had an integral steel tank. It was a private boat from new...and the bottom of the tank was the baseplate with the rear of the tank being the steel engine room bulkhead...cut the top off and dropped a plastic tank in it...well it was a bit more involved than that but you get the idea!

HTH someone

Cheers

Gareth

PS that was about 15 years ago now and all is still good...famous last words!!