Wasting Anodes in Beta 38 (BV1505)

PeterDHS

Featured Posts

My egg-beater is circa 2003 and green in colour. I think this is important as the previous red engines had a Zinc wasting anode on the front of the water jacket which had to be checked/replaced periodically. Anyway I drained down to replace anti-freeze, thought I would check the anode whilst empty, but blow and be-damned if I could find one!

Checking on the BetaMarine 'fast moving parts list' I find that the red engine has anode part 209-61840 listed, but absolutely nothing for the greenline engines. I am tempted from this to believe that the 'superior' green engines don't have an anode.

.......unless anyone can tell me different?????

Also, I am doing a complete flush with a view to going 'pink'(OAT antifreeze) instead of blue. Opinions???

Thanks in advance, I don't know what I would do without your accumulated knowledge.

Peter.

Grammar- knowing the difference between your shit and you're shit.

Firesprite....are you sure?

The guy who used to berth next to me had a 'red' engine in the NB 'M&M' and that was keel cooled, indeed the keel was often full of water!....although he did seem to boil up once a fortnight!

(he eventually discovered that his pump impeller was worn to a stump).

My assumption had been that the red engines were superseded by the green eco-friendly none-smoking variety ????

Peter.

I've seen both red and green Beta keel-cooled engines.

is your engine keel cooled or raw water cooled - does your exhaust eject water when the engine is running ??

The guy who used to berth next to me had a 'red' engine in the NB 'M&M' and that was keel cooled, indeed the keel was often full of water!....although he did seem to boil up once a fortnight!

My assumption had been that the red engines were superseded by the green eco-friendly none-smoking variety ????

Peter.

Peter.

I think all Beta engines used to be red but then they introduced the Greenline range specifically adapted to be more suitable for inland use. The nominally sea boat engines remain as red. I can see no reason why either coloured engine can not be used in either environment providing the cooling and electrical system is suitable.

Peter.

That was what Beta told me on their stand at the Boat show.

Firesprite

In the office

That was what Beta told me on their stand at the Boat show.

Firesprite

In the office

Got to believe it then Firesprite, thanks. Tony Brooks thoughts also make sense, as always.

However we are drifting off topic a little bit.....does anyone have a green B38 with a wasting anode and if so where is is (photo) ?

Thanks

Peter.

Got to believe it then Firesprite, thanks. Tony Brooks thoughts also make sense, as always.

However we are drifting off topic a little bit.....does anyone have a green B38 with a wasting anode and if so where is is (photo) ?

Thanks

Peter.

Peter,

If your engine is keel cooled it won't have a wasting anode

If it's raw water cooled it will

Whether the engine's green, red, or a beautiful shade of puce

Peter,

If your engine is keel cooled it won't have a wasting anode

If it's raw water cooled it will

Whether the engine's green, red, or a beautiful shade of puce

That needs clarifying a little. It is true in the main but if a direct raw water cooled engine is pipes to be keel/tank cooled it may well have an internal anode and I can assure they do corrode, even with good antifreeze.

Probably not applicable to most narrow-boaters but certainly Ex Viking afloat with Bukh engines are keel cooled but have anodes.

That needs clarifying a little. It is true in the main but if a direct raw water cooled engine is pipes to be keel/tank cooled it may well have an internal anode and I can assure they do corrode, even with good antifreeze.

Probably not applicable to most narrow-boaters but certainly Ex Viking afloat with Bukh engines are keel cooled but have anodes.

Tony - - as ever - - I have been educated.

Thank you Sir :cheers: