Weird and Wonderful Stern Covers

Wobbly Dick

Featured Posts

Hi,

Our weather does have a tendency to be changeable, so I was considering a stern cover, the type you can continue curising with.

I have seen many weird and wonderful types, but would like to know what experiences people have had and any advice, recommendations and possible diy ideas? Pictures would be nice too? :blink:

Long waterproof coat and an umbrella does for me.

I have thought occasionally though, that a see-through deep umbrella would be handy. The sort of thing you see children using, but golf-umbrella sized.

Hi Wobbly Dick,

Having just completed our first long (ish) trip during which we were forced to cruise in all weathers - which included sleet coming horizontally across the fens - I feel competent to add a comment on this one.

We were very envious of the GRP cruisers with their nice warm pram covers - those up-and-over canvas or plastic covers that do look just a little bit like an old-fashioned pram.

However, they have to come down for every low bridge, and most of the locks: and if in doubt about the height of a bridge, you'd probably want to lay it down anyway, just in case: and frankly it's a bit of a faff to have to keep putting them up and down, and up, and down again, and up again...

We wore tasteful orange oilies with peaked hoods, with fleece hats underneath, and we were fairly comfortable. Mind you, we had the stove going all the way, so we could take it in turns to pop inside and warm up. That helped enormously.

Also, one of the GRP lots that we spoke with commented that it was all well and good being nice and dry, until that moment when they had to fold the top down, because invariably they were not wearing enough clothes to cope with the 10/20 mins of wet weather.

Having looked at a few middle-aged pram covers, I'd say that a folding cabin (solid) would last better, but you would have to ensure that the folding mechanism was simple, elegant, quick, and easy to operate.

Perhaps "Pimp My Narrowboat" could construct one that was operated by linear actuators....

Lucy

Perhaps "Pimp My Narrowboat" could construct one that was operated by linear actuators....

Lucy

Hello Lucy

Gary Peacock might object to the above description. :blink:

Ledgard Bridge build collapsible wheelhouse narrowboats amongst others but I don't know if they have ever done with an auto folding top. I don't mean the fabric covers featured above which look naff to me, but the solid collapsible wheelhouses. That might be a good idea in my view, like the electric metal tops on some convertible cars. It would make life easier on such a boat.

Gary do these exist?

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Ledgards bridges have done a wheelhouse with the roof suported on hyrdolic rams...

wh35ur.jpg wh20nu.jpg

- See the hyrdolic on the far right of the second picuture.

The idea is that the roof lifts up enough to fold the sides down, then lowers to deckleval while the helmsman stands though th sunroof...

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

we are in the process of getting estimates for a stern cover as we have the problem of rain water getting in the engine area. I was interested in what John Orentas advised "self draining deck conversion kit" and want to know about it.

Due to my John`s ill health I have to go to the boat on my own to drain the water out and would like to know more about the kit.

we are in the process of getting estimates for a stern cover as we have the problem of rain water getting in the engine area. I was interested in what John Orentas advised "self draining deck conversion kit" and want to know about it.

Due to my John`s ill health I have to go to the boat on my own to drain the water out and would like to know more about the kit.

How does the water get into the engine area?

It would probably be cheaper to get that sorted out.

Self draining deck conversion kit ?

No wasn't me, sounds absolutely fascinating though.

Hi reddi8

What type of stern have you got, maybe we can give you some pointers before you spend the money, unless of course you want the cover any way.

For instance is it a cruiser, if so, have you checked/cleaned the channels, these will almost certainly have drain holes which lead to pipes that dispose of the water overboard, these maybe blocked and need clearing a stiff wire would do.

Edited by bottle

What a smart idea! do you have any more pictures; up and down?

Ledgards bridges have done a wheelhouse with the roof suported on hyrdolic rams...

wh35ur.jpg wh20nu.jpg

- See the hyrdolic on the far right of the second picuture.

The idea is that the roof lifts up enough to fold the sides down, then lowers to deckleval while the helmsman stands though th sunroof...

Daniel

What type of stern have you got, maybe we can give you some pointers before you spend the money, unless of course you want the cover any way.

For instance is it a cruiser, if so, have you checked/cleaned the channels, these will almost certainly have drain holes which lead to pipes that dispose of the water overboard, these maybe blocked and need clearing a stiff wire would do.

Yeah, it shouldnt be hard to fix.

- even if you replace the chanells with larger ones, thats only a fairly simple job raeally.

Daniel

med_gallery_667_2_55965.jpg

My stern cover is sort of halfway between a pram cover and a collapsable wheelhouse - it has a steel roof supported on tubular 'legs' bolted to the stern rail and resting at the front on a windscreen with a wood surround. A vinyl cover is fixed around the sides with zippered doors for access and a zip for the tiller to pass through. The windscreen folds flat onto the roof when not in use, or can be completelt removed.

Its great in the winter and during prolonged wet weather (like now). A pain to take down and put up though.

Edited by Breals