Dover - The Sequel

Bloomsberry

Featured Posts

Not seen this particular series posted on here before but apologies if it has.

Following on from the series on Quest of 'Narrow boat' covering the restoration of 'Dover' there is now 2 1/2 hour programs from 1pm each weekday on Quest covering different sections of the canal network called 'Narrowboat Afloat'.

Don't know what the content is like or if it is worth watching but as it is narrowboat related thought there would be some amongst us who may find this of interest.

Can't be much worse that the usual drivel on offer at that time of day.

Graham.

Edit - Should have put the title as 'Narrowboat - The sequel' as there is no mention of Dover in the episode's information.

Edited by Bloomsberry

Not seen this particular series posted on here before but apologies if it has.

Following on from the series on Quest of 'Narrow boat' covering the restoration of 'Dover' there is now 2 1/2 hour programs from 1pm each weekday on Quest covering different sections of the canal network called 'Narrowboat Afloat'.

I was unaware that Dover had been restored. All back in working trim again now then?!

I like the program its quite a few years old now, but the narration by Allan Heard makes me cringe. Personally I think he's a knobb, I could do a better job of presenting. It must be true because my wife agrees and that is a rare thing. If you can tune him out the rest is fine.

I was unaware that Dover had been restored. All back in working trim again now then?!

:)

Edited by Biggles

Morning all

I too have been watching the program,the best bit is whilst he is out and about on the cut,it gives the veiwer a good veiw of

the cut and how big it is down there, compaired to the top end of the Lancaster canal, also there was an awfull lot of weed in the cut

and i think i would have to be cleaning out my raw water filter all the time,winter cruising is so much nicer not as much weed.

Arge.

My problem with this series when I tried to watch it before, was that it claims to feature Alan Herd taking Dover from Birmingham to London down the Grand Union, whilst visiting interesting places en route.

But for the sake of a story, Alan ends up all over the place, like Coventry, (OK there is a canal there, but it ain't the GU!), Luton (I think), and even places like the Shuttleworth aircraft collection, (I may have the wring one, but again locations nowhere near the Grand Union!).

So whilst it may produce stories of interest to some, there is very little in there about the canal he actually claims to be recreating a journey on, and much of the footage is shot miles from any canal, and there is simply no canal connection whatsoever.

As the Grand Union, and locations right by it, are steeped in history, in my view a big opportunity missed, though if you just want TV to watch that isn't Neighbours or Big Brother, it might be worth a look.

The brief interview with Laura Carter, at the Braunston Historic Boat show is worth seeing though. Laura was the former steerer of "Ian" and then "Renfrew" on what proved to be amongst the last long distance narrow boat carrying contract. She speaks in a wonderful dialect that can only be described as "boatman", and comes across as a truly wonderful woman.