Headlights

Callum

Featured Posts

Good Afternoon kind people. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now and I've now screwed up the courage to seek some help.

We're (my 'significant other' Sue & me) are in the middle of having a new narrowboat built. Current crucial item that needs sourcing is a brass (or brass effect) headlight/tunnel light. Our boatbuilders have suggested Highline, I think, but I wasn't impressed. Can anyone suggest some possible suppliers/manufacturers?

Thanks,

Callum

Edited by Callum

Thanks for the replies, although I couldn't find any tunnel lamps (see, I'm learnin' :blink: ) on Puffin Parts Gralyn, although there are some other nice looking goodies there.

Guess I just needed pointing in the right direction!

Edited by Callum

Have a look on ebay too.

Thanks for the link Mr dHutch. Won this one and very pleased with it too.

Showed it to someone in the "KNOW" :closedeyes: apparently its worth several HUNDRED pounds... :unsure:

I had no idea, just liked the look of it, anyway its now being fitted to our boat. Well chuffed. :wub:

M.

Thanks for the link Mr dHutch. Won this one and very pleased with it too.

Showed it to someone in the "KNOW" :closedeyes: apparently its worth several HUNDRED pounds... :unsure:

I had no idea, just liked the look of it, anyway its now being fitted to our boat. Well chuffed. :wub:

M.

Hi Mark.

If you have bought the searchlight on Ebay you seem to have a bargain, I occasionally restore these lights when I can get them but charge a lot more than you have paid. Anyway if you want to know more about it let me know, I used to be Technical Manager of the company that made them.

Hi Callum

I have used an old brass car headlight I bought from a company in Tamworth who refurbish them by doing them up and rechroming them. This is what it looks like:-

Light.jpg

The companies website:- www.s-v-c.co.uk

When you get to the site click on "headlamps" on the left hand side and you will see the ones they do. They are all chrome in the pictures, but if you call them they will leave one brass and buff it up for you and they come complete with a sealed beam unit fitted. The guys at the company were great when I dealt with them.

Good luck with your search.

Merlin

2e_12_sb.JPG

Spotlights like this don't make good tunnel lights. You need a lamp that will light up the tunnel walls just in front of the boat, not a small spot 50 yards in front.

Yes, I've just had a customer who fitted one of these and after cruisinfg thro' Blisworth Tunnel with a torch to see his way, he bought a tunnel light to add to it.

These lights either give you a small spot in the distance or a ring around you with a black hole just where you want to go!

They do look good though.

Yes, I've just had a customer who fitted one of these and after cruisinfg thro' Blisworth Tunnel with a torch to see his way, he bought a tunnel light to add to it.

These lights either give you a small spot in the distance or a ring around you with a black hole just where you want to go!

They do look good though.

Not strictly true that. The searchlights, because that is what they are can be easily adjusted from 3 to approx 30 degrees beam divergence, if a black spot is appearing in the beam it is probably because they are turning the focus adjustment the wrong direction. Anyway they look nice and that is the main thing.

I agree with John. I got my 11" diameter Francis light for 50 quid on eBay, which must be a real bargain and yes, you can tune it burn paint off like a magifying glass, but it also spreads wide enough to illuminate an accdeptable portion of the tunnel roof and wall without creating a black hole. It has to be directed though, so sits pointing slightly right and slightly up. As mine is de-mountable for storage, it's a re-tune job whenever it's put back on, but never mind, it does look 'legend' as my son would say....

I agree with John. I got my 11" diameter Francis light for 50 quid on eBay, which must be a real bargain and yes, you can tune it burn paint off like a magifying glass, but it also spreads wide enough to illuminate an accdeptable portion of the tunnel roof and wall without creating a black hole. It has to be directed though, so sits pointing slightly right and slightly up. As mine is de-mountable for storage, it's a re-tune job whenever it's put back on, but never mind, it does look 'legend' as my son would say....

Great. :closedeyes: Sounds good to me. Mine will be de-mountable too.

M.