Cooking on the stove....

Featured Posts

Currently having a pretty successful time of cooking Sunday lunch on the Squirrel.

Roasted the chicken in a pan and now cooking the veg.

Have used it to warm things and keep the kettle warm before but never managed to cook a whole meal on it(haven't worked out how to the Yorkshires yet mind so we'll need to use some gas to cook them)

The best pans seem to be the heavy copper based ones,

any other tips folk would like to share....

Currently having a pretty successful time of cooking Sunday lunch on the Squirrel.

Roasted the chicken in a pan and now cooking the veg.

Have used it to warm things and keep the kettle warm before but never managed to cook a whole meal on it(haven't worked out how to the Yorkshires yet mind so we'll need to use some gas to cook them)

The best pans seem to be the heavy copper based ones,

any other tips folk would like to share....

Enameled cast iron casseroles do the job both on Squirrel & in Rayburn. For the Squirrel cheap & heavy pots work better than the Le Creuset ones. I got a couple from Morrisons. Yorkshires are not easy. but have built reasonably decent ones using a plain (not enameled) 8'' pan, pre heating the fat to smoking point.

Must go, dinner's on the Squirrel & I dont trust the dogs motives for guarding it so closely.

taslim

Enameled cast iron casseroles do the job both on Squirrel & in Rayburn. For the Squirrel cheap & heavy pots work better than the Le Creuset ones. Yorkshires are not easy.

taslim

Most of you will have a problem cooking Yorkie pubs. There are two problems for you all to overcome number one problem is easiest to overcome and that is the use of Fat !!!!!!!!! and not oil to cook them in, that is just poor education. Oils is simply useless.

The second is harder and that is you MUST use proper yorkshire eggs, not the inferior garbage sold in other parts of the country and even in yorkshires supermarkets :cheers:

• Greenie 1

Empty out ash pan, wrap jerk seasoned chicken breast in lots of good quality foil and bang it under the coals, cook rice and peas (kidney beans) in coconut milk on the top. Put on some heavy dub and pour yourself a large rum. Welcome to one of the best sundays you can have. :cheers:

Empty out ash pan, wrap jerk seasoned chicken breast in lots of good quality foil and bang it under the coals, cook rice and peas (kidney beans) in coconut milk on the top. Put on some heavy dub and pour yourself a large rum. Welcome to one of the best sundays you can have. :cheers:

Going to have to try that. :)

The BF is currently cooking venison stew in an enamel casserole dish like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Enamel-Casserole-Speckled/dp/B004S9W3NG But small. Started it before we went out to walk the dog about 12ish and we'll probably eat about 6pm. :) If we can wait that long! Chuck a couple of dumplings on the top and finish in the oven for 10 minutes just to crisp up the dumplings.

I don't think you need heavy pans, I never have a problem with anything sticking and things seem to cook through well.

Very satisfying making use of the heat and filling the boat with tasty smells. :)

Hi

You can get a oven that fit on top of the squirrel stove we looking at getting one it from chilli puffin or chilli penguin.

Unfortunately it costs almost as much as my entire stove! So I roast smaller items like fillet beef in foil where the ashpan lives. Or put a baking tray on top of the stove with foil over it which has much the same effect as a little oven. Great for chicky wings or potato wedges

Heavy dub? Is that for waterproofing your boots?

we cook all the time on ours, and even do the crisp baked liver treats for Puppeh on it..on a baking sheet with a rectangular casserole lid over, works a treat. Beef and red wine simmering on it at the moment. We've also cooked potatoes and sweet corn-on-the-cob in foil inside it...push the coals to the back and place at front of grate. Gorgeous.

Unfortunately it costs almost as much as my entire stove! So I roast smaller items like fillet beef in foil where the ashpan lives. Or put a baking tray on top of the stove with foil over it which has much the same effect as a little oven. Great for chicky wings or potato wedges

:captain:

Nah! Its a Volkswagen Beetle with 5 people inside it, and their luggage on the roof! ;)

Right you uncultured oafs, with apologies to Martin for taking this a bit off topic, here, is some heavy dub

Jah

safe :rolleyes:

Love Ethiopia: handsomest most beautiful people on earth. Nice 4.06m musical diversion, :smiley_offtopic: thank you "Wanted" and de graffiks was sick in an innit sense.

Meanwhile, back on the topic, I'm looking at a Hawkins Pressure Cooker to use as a slow overnight cooker with a charcoal stove. Going up to Goodmayes ChadwehHeeef tomorrow to check (In spite of the name, Hawkins is Indian. I think they got it as a job lot when India bought out the UK steel industry.)

Stove tops can be used for a huge array of dishes, but are esp. useful for slow cooking, like 8hrs. which means tomorrow's dinner can be slow cooked over-night at zero cost by stove, if you've bedded it down to last all night to keep the boat warm. You can cook whole fish nicely in a cleaned out ashtray. They can be poached or bought in a shop innit. Thick al. foil is the biz. with t'ashtray. Why can't we have a smiley with a cook's apron?

I used to make drop scones directly on cast-iron tops in past times. Recipe? Mix a 'quantity' of beaten farmyard eggs with exactly the same 'quantity' of full milk (goat's is perfick if you can get it) and then gradually fork in the same 'quantity' of flour, stir and stir and stir to a consistency that pours but only just. You lot can use a well seasoned cast iron griddlepan which never ever been washed in detergent. Pour the mix in blobs onto the hot surface and turn when the wet shine has gone off to a sullen dullness. Lift when you see a wisp of steam coming from the scones and serve with honey, marmite, jam, cheese, salsa (but not all together). Bon appetit.

Edited by Pentargon

Empty out ash pan, wrap jerk seasoned chicken breast in lots of good quality foil and bang it under the coals, cook rice and peas (kidney beans) in coconut milk on the top. Put on some heavy dub and pour yourself a large rum. Welcome to one of the best sundays you can have

hi! when you say rice and peas in coconut on the top, you mean on top of the stove in a pan? thank you.

Cheers all - we're trying spicy tomato meat balls tonight with spaghetti, all cooked on the stove top.

Like the idea of cooking foil wrapped stuff in the ash pan though - good tip.

:cheers:

Well, I have an appropriate boat name for that type of food.

Nice to hear a bit of appropriate music, but that track is DIGITAL, all played on electronic instruments and lacking depth, thus not really heavy at all. Now a spot of King Tubby dubbing up '70s Bunny Lee rhythms, or some Lee Perry mixes from his Black Ark days, that would be megaton heavy.

Ital, wanted blood.

Seriously, that is both adventurous and sounds fab.

Steak tartare works very well on top of the stove in summer.

hi! when you say rice and peas in coconut on the top, you mean on top of the stove in a pan? thank you.

I do indeed mean on top of the stove, sorry I can see how that could have been misinterpreted. This takes a little more time than the chicken sometimes, it all depends on how hot your stove is. just make sure that you have plenty of rum to drink whilst you wait. Were not talking any of that sailor jerry nonsense either (Yuk) it needs to be woods if you like it dark or Messrs J. Wray & Nephew white rum for punch.

This is the rice and peas recipe that works for me (should this thread be moved to recipes?)

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

2 cups long-grain rice

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

1 cup water

1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)

2 cups coconut milk

1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

2 teaspoons dried thyme

1 whole Scotch bonnet chile (can substitute a whole habanero)

Lime (optional)

Method

1 Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat (just guess that bit). Add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until they begin to brown on the edges.

2 Add the garlic and rice, stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.

3 Add the grated ginger, salt, water, stock and coconut milk and stir well. Add the kidney beans and sprinkle the thyme over everything. Add the whole Scotch bonnet chili (or habanero); it will season the rice much like a bay leaf would. Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and cover.

4 The rice should be done in about 15-20 minutes, depending on the type of rice you are using (some long grained rice takes longer to cook) and depending how hot your stove is. Check after 15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes. To serve, fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with a little lime juice if you want. Discard the chilli (or eat it, if you dare!)

Ital, wanted blood.

Seriously, that is both adventurous and sounds fab.

Steak tartare works very well on top of the stove in summer.

Indeed, although my Chicken tartare didn't go down well....... :D

Well, I have an appropriate boat name for that type of food.

Nice to hear a bit of appropriate music, but that track is DIGITAL, all played on electronic instruments and lacking depth, thus not really heavy at all. Now a spot of King Tubby dubbing up '70s Bunny Lee rhythms, or some Lee Perry mixes from his Black Ark days, that would be megaton heavy.

Ah the classics, still I think people like Dub Hooligan and Mungo's hi fi are er, 'Phat' dispite them using witch craft :)