Porrta Potti Poo

Wobbly Dick

Featured Posts

Hi!

There is a pump out toilet on board, but I'm thinking of going to the other type.

I would like one that is as near to possible to a normal flush type loo, but is there such a think, or are there only these plastic things?

Where is the best place to buy?

If you are on canals, you are restricted to something that contains your poo.

There are only really three systems:

Porta Potti

Pump-out

Composting.

I've lived with a porta potti, and they are certainly convenient, especially if you have a spare cassette/tank. However, the emptying is not pleasant. They can be emptied anywhere in a standard mains sewage drain and most BW water/sanitary stations have a disposal point.

If you are mooring near a pumpout station, they do seem to be the easiest to live with. The most-recommended enhancement seems to be a powered exhaust fan, to ensure smell from the tank doesn't go back into your cabin.

There isn't really such a thing as a flushing porta potti, the cassette/tank would fill up far too quickly.

Is there no water used in the Porta Potti at all? ;)

Can you get a more normal type loo for the pump out system?

Where do I find out about what loos there are available and what is the Powered Exhaust Fan? :blush:

If you are on canals, you are restricted to something that contains your poo.

There are only really three systems:

Porta Potti

Pump-out

Composting.

I've lived with a porta potti, and they are certainly convenient, especially if you have a spare cassette/tank. However, the emptying is not pleasant. They can be emptied anywhere in a standard mains sewage drain and most BW water/sanitary stations have a disposal point.

If you are mooring near a pumpout station, they do seem to be the easiest to live with. The most-recommended enhancement seems to be a powered exhaust fan, to ensure smell from the tank doesn't go back into your cabin.

There isn't really such a thing as a flushing porta potti, the cassette/tank would fill up far too quickly.

Edited by Wobbly Dick

Is there no water used in the Porta Potti at all? :blush:

Where do I find out about what loos there are available and what is the Powered Exhaust Fan? ;)

yes you do have rinse water in a portaloo but nothing like a proper flush

Is there no water used in the Porta Potti at all? ;)

Where do I find out about what loos there are available and what is the Powered Exhaust Fan? ;)

yes there is a rinse water in the portaloo but nothing like a proper flush as it would fill up too quikly go to Thetford web site for more info

Edited by ayeaye

I've had no problems with my P/O loo... yes you do need to go on a little cruise roughly once a month, to the P/O station, but hey that's what I bought the boat for!

Good answer 10/10 :blush:

Where do I find out about what loos there are available and what is the Powered Exhaust Fan? :blush:

I am sure that I have read somewhere that someone used a fan off a standard desktop computer to extract the undesirable odour from the tanks - so it is nothing expensive.

Toilets appear to be discussed quite regularly here, and many Chandlery websites appear to have the basics covered.

I have a china loo that is vacuum flushed. Goes to a cassette fitted under bed, completly sealed, no smell. I carry a spare cassette and am very pleased with it. If you want a good flush you just raise the pedal on side of pan and you can fill to brim with water if you feel you need to see lots of water. Problem is your casette will fill in no time at all. There really is no need for lots of water as the vacuum does the job well with one push on the pedal its all sucked away never to be seen again. Happy poooing!!!!!!

LES

I have a china loo that is vacuum flushed. Goes to a cassette fitted under bed, completly sealed, no smell. I carry a spare cassette and am very pleased with it. If you want a good flush you just raise the pedal on side of pan and you can fill to brim with water if you feel you need to see lots of water. Problem is your casette will fill in no time at all. There really is no need for lots of water as the vacuum does the job well with one push on the pedal its all sucked away never to be seen again. Happy poooing!!!!!!

LES

Wobbly,

Before you get "sucked in" by the vacuum cassette idea, (sorry!), you need to read all the negative comment, as well as that from those who consider them brilliant.

Here's a thread I started, and after some of the answers posted, there's no way I'd even vaguely consider these, (which are not cheap, believe me....)

Link to Vacuflush Cassette toilet thread.

I've gone for remodelling our bathroom to allow use of one of the Thetford cassette toilets, (the swivel top, electric "flush" variety), that are fixed down, but where you need a neighbouring bulkhead that you can extract the cassettes through for emptying.

As I've said elsewhere, these offer a somewhat better "user experience" than the standard portable style PortaPotty, (being rather more like a home toilet), but unfortunately are no better for those having to empty them. (In fact I find mine worse to empty than what it replaced - I don't think an emtying tube with a 90 degree bend in is that clever an idea!....)

As has been said, these Thetford toilets use very little water on each "flush" - just as well as you have to carry all they do use.

Even discarding all the remarks about other issues with the Vacuflush Cassette ones, I still struggled with the idea of something that seemed to use a minimum of 0.4 litres every flush, but where tyou had to carry this away in a "suitcase". People seem to confirm these fill up far too quickly.

In my view even the Thetford Cassette I have used doesn't last long - but that is with 4 on board.

Some people say Lee Sanitation are dead helpful, but I found that they made NO attempt to reply to several attempts at e-mail queries. You might do better if you 'phoned them, I guess.

Alan