hyades

hyades

Featured Posts

There are a couple of web-sites that are sometimes useful, but neither lists Hyades.

The National Register of Historic Vessels was updated last June, but only yields the following.....

HYADES is a small woolwich butty built in 1935 for the grand union canal co. it has iron sides and wooden bottom with timber cabin, built originally by Harland and Wolff , it is a star class boat and will remain composite as originally consructed

We travelled quite extensively around mostly outhern waterways last year, but I can't remember her as one I have knowingly seen.

Have you at least seen this post on this forum

Not particularly current - but at Brinklow Boats then, apparently. Don't think it was there when we were this summer though - could be wrong.

001big.jpg

Correction.....

If that was Hyades I just posted, this just about shows the same boat back in the water at Brinklow Boats in August 2011

IMG_1223.jpg

Better than no answer, I guess!

There are a couple of web-sites that are sometimes useful, but neither lists Hyades.

The National Register of Historic Vessels was updated last June, but only yields the following.....

We travelled quite extensively around mostly outhern waterways last year, but I can't remember her as one I have knowingly seen.

Not particularly current - but at Brinklow Boats then, apparently.

and even more out of date, this is what the fore end looked like in about 1973 when we hired it from Martin & Kris Toms for the barrel run before we had a butty of our own. The sterns of Mimas and Ray, then owned by Douggie Jones, are in the foreground - now beautifully restored again and appearing on the "Progress" thread recently.

TowcesterLyra.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

and even more out of date, this is what the fore end looked like in about 1973 when we hired it from Martin Toms for the barrel run before we had a butty of our own. The sterns of Mimas and Ray, then owned by Douggie Jones, are in the foreground - now beautifully restored again and appearing on the "Progress" thread recently.

You'll have the wooden boat boys drooling over that typical cabin cruiser of the period too!

Where is that Tam, please? I don't immediately recognise.

Hyades is now owned by Rex Wain (since summer 2010) and he has been doing some work on her at Brinklow.

Ah! I knew Rex had Gawd knows how many boats, but when he was giving us a tour there we had a long look at Ruislip, (I hope I have the right tug!), but he didn't mention Hyades, hence me only just waking up to having seen it at Brinklow. He also owns a sister boat to Sickle, of course.

And they say I'm greedy for having two boats!

The 'farm' above Batchworth?

That's Chapman's Farm at Ricky - but this Stocker's Farm, immediately below Stockers Lock. The farm was used for a 1970s BBC? version of Black Beauty.

Edited by Tam & Di

I wondered if it was Stocker's, but it has I think changed a bit then!

We deviate a bit from original post though.

If Rex Wain has it, then it is clearly in very safe hands. We have met him, and he seems a top rate bloke, (and has lent ussomething very nice, although we had only just met him - thanks Rex!) However, knowing the number of boats in his safe custody, and presumably much sought after to work on other people's I wouldn't necessarily hold your breath for Hyades to be fully completed for a year or two yet.

Just my gut feel - if he has definite plans to do it soon, I apologise unreservedly to him!

:smiley_offtopic: Nit picking twerp here - Stockers? Taller barns there, and I spy a row of houses beyond that look suspiciously un Stockerish!

Chapmans has changed beyond all recognition (though boats still moor). Something called 'Toad Hall' there now.

PS:

I'm looking at the concrete coping at waters edge, that tree that I suspect still stands but bigger, and what is likely Batchworth Hill rising in the background. There's rising ground at Stockers too if I remember right, but the houses look like those in Moor Lane.

Edited by Derek R.