Measured Mile

system 4-50

Featured Posts

Doing the Gosty Hill Tunnel on the way to and from Coombeswood on the BCN is a classic example of that. No matter what you do you cannot increase your speed through there. You could almost let your nb stay on tickover and rattle its way through by itself. We were going through once and were rapidly caught up by a small BW working flat but there was nothing we could do to increase speed so they just had to wait.

Roger

It's a bit like the narrows under the railway bridges on the Worcs & BHam at Selly Oak. The number of boats I have seen with loads of revs on going nowhere, all you will do is collect sh!t round your prop. The quickest way is definitely tick over <_<.

We were passed a couple of years ago by a Viking heading down the Severn, the counter was almost underwater and they must have only going about 1 MPH faster than us :captain:

You're supposed to do it in both directions. You might get some odd results if your top speed isn't a lot higher than the current, though.

Tim

If you go both ways, watch out for the wake waves on the way back.. It caught out Donald Campbell on Coniston..

Just a little warning.

Martyn

I've managed 14mph down stream under the first Severn bridge, pretty impressive considering it was a Lister Sr3 pushing us along!

We did pretty well coming down the Severn in flood, don't think I would have liked to try going up stream, probably would have still gone down stream :o