design software?

Featured Posts

Hello again!

Can anyone point me to any decent (and hopefully free!) software that I can use to experiment with various boat layouts? I have 2D and 3D software, but nothing with hull/shell and equipment templates! And - metric please! I just don't follow all this olde world imperial stuff! :lol:

Thanks!

Hello again!

Can anyone point me to any decent (and hopefully free!) software that I can use to experiment with various boat layouts? I have 2D and 3D software, but nothing with hull/shell and equipment templates! And - metric please! I just don't follow all this olde world imperial stuff! :lol:

Thanks!

I've used Google sketchup which is free, 3d, and fairly easy to use for layouts. It takes a fair bit of effort to get started, but the results can be quite good. Best feature is you can pan around to see your ideas from all angles.

Edit: see My link for another online tool (2d)

Edit again: sketchup does new-fangled metric!

Edited by keble

I didn't understand this bit of your post,

... they don't do what I really want! I will have to experiment with the 3D stuff I have at work!

so I went back and looked at your first post in this thread.
I have 2D and 3D software, but nothing with hull/shell and equipment templates!

Having completed that exercise, I think what you are saying is that you want some hull templates that you can use with a CAD system you already have access to.

If, and I repeat, IF I am correct, I think you need to tell people what your office CAD systems are, AND (if it applies) what format they use to accept imported files (templates).

I'm not sure why you think you need special 'equipment' templates. A hot plate is a hotplate, cupboards, beds, fridges, WCs, etc are standard, at least in plan. The engine and gearbox are just rectangular boxes, and you specify the size of them when you have decided what you are buying.

The tricky bit will come with the height, making sure equipment fits under the gunnel, where it needs to.

HTH

I have SolidEdge and SolidWorks - but I dont' use them often enough to know the types of files that can be imported! A quick look has shown DXF and DWG files are the most likely!

I suppose I was just being a bit lazy when I was looking for various templates, so that I didn't have to draw my own! It's not a great hardship, but why do things twice if there is already stuff available?

I was only going to play about with potential layouts, nothing too accurate at this stage, but accurate enough to ensure things would actually fit in, and fit in the way we want them!

Oh that's pretty cool :) I'm using Solid Edge ST2 for my boat design in 3d, but not really started properly yet. For 2d as you say dwg/dfx would be best for import. Something I intend to do when I've finished is to get a rapid prototype model produced in nylon using these people: 3T RPD I went on a seminar there a year or so ago for work and have had some stuff made by them :)

Oh that's pretty cool :) I'm using Solid Edge ST2 for my boat design in 3d, but not really started properly yet. For 2d as you say dwg/dfx would be best for import. Something I intend to do when I've finished is to get a rapid prototype model produced in nylon using these people: 3T RPD I went on a seminar there a year or so ago for work and have had some stuff made by them :)

now thats an idea! We are in the market for some 3D modelling hardwear too - I wonder if the suppliers would be willing to show off their wares in this manner to help seal the deal?? :rolleyes:

It's amazing what can be done these days with rapid prototyping. Several of the main engineering metals (steel, stainless 316, Titanium and aluminium alloy) can now be laser sintered, though it's still expensive! The SLS plastic process is substantially cheaper though and is quite sturdy enough for a lot of things, even final products. I had the inner shell of a cold box made for a project at work :)

• 11 years later...

I use Autodesk Fusion 360 professionally and have a reasonably accurate model of my boat on it, if you want the files to modify for yours then please let me know- mine have mainly been used for quantity surveying and working out routes for pipework etc 

37 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

I use Autodesk Fusion 360 professionally and have a reasonably accurate model of my boat on it, if you want the files to modify for yours then please let me know- mine have mainly been used for quantity surveying and working out routes for pipework etc 

Fusion isn't to bad is it Harry