Insurance Choices?

Chris Ryan

Featured Posts

Dear all,

we've only been boating now for 6 months - trouble is - WE LOVE IT !!

Already bought and now sold our first 40ft David Piper (5+ months of enjoyment)--- new (to us) boat is a 67ft semi-trad, ex-syndicate boat with bags of room and toys.

The first vessel was a '79 boat; the new one is a 2000, and I'm looking for recommendations on who to call for Comprehensive Insurance.

There are so many companies out there - I'd rather use one that comes "booted and suited" with goodwill and refs..........?!

The other thing ...... where/who can I ask to supply&fit a Hospital silencer along the Grand Union??

Any and all offerings gratefully received.

Chris Ryan :help:

We've always used Haven Knox Johnston and found them very good with excellent customer service. I don't think they're the absolute cheapest, but again, we use them because we have found them good.

Dear all,

Already bought and now sold our first 40ft David Piper (5+ months of enjoyment)--- new (to us) boat is a 67ft semi-trad, ex-syndicate boat with bags of room and toys.

The first vessel was a '79 boat; the new one is a 2000, and I'm looking for recommendations on who to call for Comprehensive Insurance.

There are so many companies out there - I'd rather use one that comes "booted and suited" with goodwill and refs..........?!

The other thing ...... where/who can I ask to supply&fit a Hospital silencer along the Grand Union??

My vote is for Navigators and General. You also get free RCR retainer cover. They have been great with us adding on special bits of cover for free.

We've always used Haven Knox Johnston and found them very good with excellent customer service. I don't think they're the absolute cheapest, but again, we use them because we have found them good.

I have a correspondance relationship with Robin Knox J but even he couldn't get me a good price to beat Navigators!

Dear all,

Hi

The one's that pay out when you make a claim ?tongue.gif

I had a £500+ claim with Saga this year, I have been with them for many years with of course no problem - until you make a claim!!!

Much like all insurance company's, they did pay out eventually, but they can make it difficult, frusty.gif

Alex

We have been with Navigators and General for three years now, just into our forth and they have been very good. They have tailored one of their standard policies to fit our expanding needs by adding lots of different clauses and additional extras. We currently have an inland tidal policy which is extended to cover the Humber as tidal river instead of coastal and also extended to add 60 days on the coast. This more than meets our current needs and at £160 is considerably cheaper than a policy will full coastal use.

They were also very helpful when we had a potential claim against us in our first year of insuring, going through all of the legal work and discussions with other insurers on our behalf. Thankfully nothing came of that claim. We shop around each year but as yet have not found cheaper like for like cover.

Hi

The one's that pay out when you make a claim ?tongue.gif

I had a £500+ claim with Saga this year, I have been with them for many years with of course no problem - until you make a claim!!!

Much like all insurance company's, they did pay out eventually, but they can make it difficult, frusty.gif

Alex

I had the same problem with Saga House insurance. Very slow to pay out. Changed back to LV the next year

we're relatively new and have been using Collidge & partners - they advertise in the mags and also have a stand at Crick so you can actually go and see them in person if your at Crick !

good service, helpful and offer an alternative to RCR for £60/yr.

the actual marine insurance is underwritten by navigators and general

Jon

You don't say whereabouts you are on the GU. If you're at the southern end I can recommend the following engineers who all have very good reputations locally. There are probably lots more, but these are the ones I know from personal experience. All google-able.

Jem Bates (Bulbourne)

Ed Boden (Tring)

Darren Killick (Cowroast Marina)

Trevor Oxley (Tring)

John Pattle (Cassio)

Edited by koukouvagia

You don't say whereabouts you are on the GU. If you're at the southern end I can recommend the following engineers who all have very good reputations locally. There are probably lots more, but these are the ones I know from personal experience. All google-able.

Jem Bates (Bulbourne)

Ed Boden (Tring)

Darren Killick (Cowroast Marina)

Trevor Oxley (Tring)

John Pattle (Cassio)

John Pattle just made up and fitted a new exhaust system for Badsey and although not cheap you do know you have had a thorough job done. Can't call it a silencer though as it makes the proper sound for the National engine - what's the oposite of hospital?

John Pattle just made up and fitted a new exhaust system for Badsey and although not cheap you do know you have had a thorough job done. Can't call it a silencer though as it makes the proper sound for the National engine - what's the oposite of hospital?

LOUD???

Alex