How to sell my new boat?

smithwrecker

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have just taken delivery of my brand new boat, sailaway plus additions, fully painted. Due to personal unforeseen circumstances I need to sell the boat. As of yet I have not received the annexe 3( ?) paperwork off the builder and so have not even registered the boat yet. I'm under the impression that I can't sell the boat for 5 years, is this correct? Is there any way around the situation? Any help/advice gratefully received.....

Hi all, I have just taken delivery of my brand new boat, sailaway plus additions, fully painted. Due to personal unforeseen circumstances I need to sell the boat. As of yet I have not received the annexe 3( ?) paperwork off the builder and so have not even registered the boat yet. I'm under the impression that I can't sell the boat for 5 years, is this correct? Is there any way around the situation? Any help/advice gratefully received.....

If I were in the market for a new sailaway as what you have I wouldnt give two hoots about the paperwork. You will have to sell it at a good price to sell quickly and anyone wanting to do a self fit out for their own use would be delighted to buy it as there is no waiting and no chance of losing money bye a company going bust. There will be someone out there with real money who will buy it without doubt. Put it on the duck or ebay with a sensible price and it will go. I dont believe there are many people imprisoned for not having bits of paperworkto do with their boat. When i sold a boat that was 12 months old the cash purchaser never even asked for the rcd paperwork and when I gave it to him he said Oh whats this for and just stuck it with the rest of his stuff.

I would chase the builder for the Annexe 3 if I were you. The 5 year thing is really in place to stop builders circumventing the RCD. If it's a brand new sailaway and you need to sell it you should be able to. I'm not aware of any private sellers who've been prosecuted for doing this.

As long as you have a receipt, bill of sale or similar paperwork proving that you own the boat, I can't se how you can get into trouble for selling your own property!

I'm sorry that circumstances are forcing you to sell her, though.

As long as you have a receipt, bill of sale or similar paperwork proving that you own the boat, I can't se how you can get into trouble for selling your own property!

You clearly haven't read the RCD regulations then ;)

First class example of EC interference in UK affairs, IMO.

What you need from the builder is the Annexe IIIa declaration. This states that the boat is in build and indicates who is legally responsible in terms of build to the point at which the builder signed it over to you (usually point of delivery). It then indicates who will responsible for the remainder of the work in the future.

This covers the boat for licensing and insurance purposes for a year after which time, you must either gain full RCD compliance or else you can have a Boat Safety inspection done to gain a BS Certificate. If you do not complete the CE marking (RCD) you cannot legally sell the boat for five years but you can, as first owner, use the boat. CE marking cannot be gained retrospectively but if the boat is still in build, it is possible to gain the CE marking even though a BSC has been issued.

This is the position I'm in with regard to Cobbett, delays in completing her have meant that the Annexe IIIa expired before I've been able to get her CE marking completed, so I've had the BSC issued and will complete the paperwork and have the compliance tests done in the spring. It is worth going for full CE marking as it increases the selling cost in principle, although perhaps marginal in Cobbett's case as I've no intention of selling her, all things being equal.

My understanding is that the boat can legally be sold when the Annexe IIIa is still in place, by the original builder but whether that includes the first owner/client I am uncertain.