Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

I'm sorry  - I've no doubt this is a really stupid question, but as I don't know the answer I'm gonna ask it anyway :  what does 'greenie' mean please?

You see the arrow at the bottom right of each (every ones) post - click on that and you get a choice of emotions - happy, sad, etc etc and a 'green arrow' that mean you are voting up / like / agree with the post)

Go on give it a try on the arrow at the bottom of this post (on the 'grey' line opposite the word 'quote'

Below my avatar is a + sign and 3207.

This is the number of 'greenies' I have been given (how many people like a post)

Below that is the number of posts I have made currently 18,778

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You see the arrow at the bottom right of each (every ones) post - click on that and you get a choice of emotions - happy, sad, etc etc and a 'green arrow' that mean you are voting up / like / agree with the post)

She has been using it but didn't seem to know that was what they were called ?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

You My dear Dearhound have been giving out greenies every time you click the arrow in the bottom right corner of a post box. It doesn't matter if its a red heart, a green arrow or an emoji we refer to them as greenies.

ETA I think at some point you could only give green or red arrows for up and down votes respectively. 

Have a greenie ♥️

Ok!  So now I can stop just doing the hearts everytime I agree - thanks!

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Dearhound said:

Ok!  So now I can stop just doing the hearts everytime I agree - thanks!

Yes you can - a green arrow will do just fine. 

Quick note - You get 20 greenies and any 24 hour period. Every time you give/pay someone a greenie it's paid back into your greenie bank 24 hours later.

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yes you can - a green arrow will do just fine. 

Quick note - You get 20 greenies and any 24 hour period. Every time you give/pay someone a greenie it's paid back into your greenie bank 24 hours later.

Eh? Then what do you spend them on?

4 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

Eh? Then what do you spend them on?

Me !

No, I'm just joking - Any thing you like. Perhaps that was a bad analogy - they always seem to make so much more sense when I say then to my self.......

• Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i'm a newby and thought i'd say hi. The himself and I currently have boat money burning a hole in our pockets, and all we seem to do is spend our time scrawling through for sale ads, calling out boat specs to each other. But it's a way to pass the time. 

Glad to be here,

Jo ?

5 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

Hi all, i'm a newby and thought i'd say hi.

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum. 

6 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

and all we seem to do is spend our time scrawling through for sale ads, calling out boat specs to each other. But it's a way to pass the time. 

I could think of worse ways to pass the time but it might not be as good as the real thing. Have you been out to any yards to look at boats in the wild??

Howdy, we've been lurking round quite a few boat yards and marina's for months now, but we're just not finding a boat that has that 'right' feeling. We have found one for sale privately, which is why I'm trawling through all the forums here - as i don't know how safe i feel buying a boat that way. 

We have a couple of marinas where we can moor her, (they're pricey though, as its down south) and i'm in the process of trying to find a standard online mooring on the kennet and avon. (Which i'm getting the feeling are like gold dust.) 

My brain is fried to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

My brain is fried to be honest.

This happens a lot when people start their boat hunt in earnest. You see it lots on here, people think they know exactly what they want and how they are going to go about it and they they are smacked right between the eyes with information over load, but don't worry it passes relatively quickly and then normal service resumes. :)

If you want ask a bout a specific boat then start a new thread dedicated to your boat hunt and post a link to the boat that you have an interest in. People often do this and get quite a variety of replies and food for thought. Plus it's quite fun. 

14 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

We have a couple of marinas where we can moor her, (they're pricey though, as its down south) and i'm in the process of trying to find a standard online mooring on the kennet and avon. (Which i'm getting the feeling are like gold dust.) 

I think this bit might be quite true, but there are members here who know the area and might be able to help with alternative suggestions and advice on waiting lists (if there are such a thing).

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

We have found one for sale privately, which is why I'm trawling through all the forums here - as i don't know how safe i feel buying a boat that way. 

Why would you consider a private purchase as un-safe ?

Or, maybe the question should be "why do you consider buying from a broker more safe ?"

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

standard online mooring on the kennet and avon. (Which i'm getting the feeling are like gold dust.) 

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could be right there

Gold is about £32 per gram

Black Opal is about £1000 per gram

Moorings on the K&A  - Opal dust !!

Hi Jo. Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your purchase and hunt for moorings. Buying privately is okay. Be aware of details and be comfortable with what's going on. Eyes wide open. PM any one and I'm sure they'll offer help and advice privately if required.

Until we moved onboard nearly five five years ago, we lived in the Lovedean area, W/ville,Cowplain,Purbrook etc for many years. Since '85-6. 

Newbury is a good town, I'm fairly sure you could get moorings in one of the marinas for similar money. Have you tried them? Just to the west of Town near the electric swing bridge there's moorings. Can't help as to who owns them. What length of boats are you looking at?

Keep us all updated on the progress as most of us are nosey so and so's. 

• Happy 1

24 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

I know Right. I've found one in newbury; leisure mooring with no amenities, no parking, with access down a hill, 3K - i'm almost convinced thats a bargain. ?

I have just read on Facebook there is one up for auction at Murhill Wharf, I know no more than that https://www.facebook.com/groups/178384468913736/permalink/2189411467811016/

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Link no worky  for me.

I don't have facebook, because I'm a little anti it and it's owner, so I haven't clicked a facebook link in a while but when I have in the dim and distance past they didn't always work because I had no account, is that what's happening? Or does it just not open at all. 

I could answer this by clicking it a suppose but I don't like to. 

• Greenie 1