Drawing air from outside engine space

blackrose

Featured Posts

The bit about buying another boat comes from my experience of my own projects. If I've finished a project and then start looking for small things to "improve", I've learned that it is usually a sign to myself that I'm ready for a new, big project.

Richard

The bit about buying another boat comes from my experience of my own projects. If I've finished a project and then start looking for small things to "improve", I've learned that it is usually a sign to myself that I'm ready for a new, big project.

Richard

Well in this case your experience doesn't really apply. I don't want a new big project.

Edited by blackrose

I'm still contemplating ways of ducting air in and out of the engine bay. Purpose made ducting for use with bilge blowers seems expensive so I was thinking of using 4" plastic drain pipe which round our way you can usually pick up for nothing out of a skip. As I don't have a bilge blower I don't know the external dimensions but I was thinking that a 10cm blower might fit inside a 4" pipe. Anyone know if it will, or any other ideas for doing this on the cheap?

I'm still contemplating ways of ducting air in and out of the engine bay. Purpose made ducting for use with bilge blowers seems expensive so I was thinking of using 4" plastic drain pipe which round our way you can usually pick up for nothing out of a skip. As I don't have a bilge blower I don't know the external dimensions but I was thinking that a 10cm blower might fit inside a 4" pipe. Anyone know if it will, or any other ideas for doing this on the cheap?

That's what we used on the Listers - the pipe that is.

Guest Quo Vadis

100mm flexible aluminium cooker hood ducting?

Around £15 for 3 metres. Flameproof and much sexier than grey plastic.

Why do you need any ducting at all? I'm thinking of just installing the bilge blower inside one of the engine room vents, sucking air in. The vent on the other side of the engine room will allow hot air to escape.

Why do you need any ducting at all? I'm thinking of just installing the bilge blower inside one of the engine room vents, sucking air in. The vent on the other side of the engine room will allow hot air to escape.

- Haven't got any proper vents, that's why!

My boat originally had an air cooled lister and when converted to a bmc 1.8 little thought was given to venting. The old air intake is now redundant and air gets into the engine bay via a gap in the deck boards which, although sheltered from the rain is far from satisfactory.

I'm also looking at ways of introducing air without cutting holes in the hull.