Rust Killer

Featured Posts

Replicating what I use in the Riley restoration business, I attack rust with abrasives in their many forms (flap wheel, gritblasting, angle grinder with silicon sanding pad, et. al.) to remove all loose/flaking rust. When the rust is of the surface/lying in small pits variety, I use one of the phosphoric-acid-based treatments such as Jenolite, then follow with a coat of Bonda Primer, a sort of smartarse "red oxide" undercoat. Then your preferred topcoats.

This doesn't apply to the outer face of the hull by the way; abrasive removal followed by Comastic.

VACTAN !

Does exactly what it says on their website.

Really is the dog's danglies.

Paco Systems

Broadridge Close, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 1YE

01626 207064

www.paco-systems.co.uk

email: info@paco-systems.co.uk

VACTAN !

Does exactly what it says on their website.

Really is the dog's danglies.

Paco Systems

Broadridge Close, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 1YE

01626 207064

www.paco-systems.co.uk

email: info@paco-systems.co.uk

I have heard good reports but never used it yet.

I have heard good reports but never used it yet.

It's good, isn't it Chris Polley?

Kurust from Halfords is about seven quid for 250ml.

This stuff is nine quid a litre plus VAT and carriage, and the MoD use it.

:blush: They do say confession is good for the soul:

I calculated I'd need 4 litres for my base plates and water tank (it's safe on potable water systems too). So that's what I ordered. It arrived in a black bin bag surrounded by polystyrene ‘monkey nuts’ in a cardboard box. I took one litre down to the boat and left the remaining 3, still in the bin bag, at the top of our cellar steps to take down and put away for when it was needed.

Then one Sunday we'd got my mother coming over to dinner, so Lynn went into manic tidy-up mode, including chucking all rubbish bags out to the bin (which gets emptied on a Monday).

That Tuesday evening I thought I'd go and do a couple of hours work on the boat, by which point I needed to take another litre with me. I couldn't find it.

I searched around the cellar steps, it wasn't where I'd left it.

I couldn't remember taking it down the cellar, but turned it upside down anyway.

It was nowhere to be found. Realisation dawned.

Black bin bag. Tidying 'cos Mother was coming. Dustbin day.

Lynn couldn't remember chucking out a black bin bag, but wasn't certain she hadn't.

I ordered another 3 litres from Paco. £27 + VAT + carriage = £40ish

I've now finished the base plates, plus some external touching up, and used 3 litres total, so I still have one litre left for the water tank, chain locker etc.

While tidying the cellar a bit and shifting sawdust from around my chop saw I thought “that Vactan's separating (a blue tannic layer rising to the top of the bottleS), could do with a shake.”

Realisation dawned again. “Those 3 bottles could do with a shake.”

Left hand corner, behind mitre saw:

C27020601.jpg

Sorry Lynn :blush:

GOD, and i thought my workshop needed a clean up. it's got "nowt" on yours

You call that untidy? you want to see my workshop. I seem to work on the principle that vacant spaces on the floor are for storing extra stuff.

I just take some satisfaction from the old addage " The more untidy the workshop, the finer the work produced in it"

Edited by David Schweizer

You call that untidy? you want to see my workshop. I seem to work on the principle that vacant spaces on the floor are for storing extra stuff.

I just take some satisfaction from the old addage " The more untidy the workshop, the finer the work produced in it"

my bible says that God made all horizontal areas for storing things. :blush:

I've got a gallon of this. Probably similar to Vactan. Called Fertan

I'm sure I've seen somewhere on Paco's website or Vactan data sheet, an extract from a MoD product approval for Vactan, some comment about it being easier, friendlier or quicker to use than the old Fertan.

• 11 months later...

Sounds great. Paco also sell Konvertex, is that any good/better for bilges? The website says vactan is water borne - does that mean it would slosh about? Could I just paint it on the rusty areas of the bilge without having to do any scraping/angle grinding? Sounds too good to be true!?

neil.

Sounds great. Paco also sell Konvertex, is that any good/better for bilges? The website says vactan is water borne - does that mean it would slosh about? Could I just paint it on the rusty areas of the bilge without having to do any scraping/angle grinding? Sounds too good to be true!?

neil.

I was about to say "hello Richard where have you been" then noticed this thread is nearly as old as me.

I use Cuprinol all in one wood treatment btw, and loads of (real) creosote.

I was about to say "hello Richard where have you been" then noticed this thread is nearly as old as me.

Where do you get (real) creasote from Carl? It has been illegal for years. I have one gallon of the stuff rescued from my dad's shed, it is a least 15 years old.

Where do you get (real) creasote from Carl? It has been illegal for years. I have one gallon of the stuff rescued from my dad's shed, it is a least 15 years old.

All sorts of nasties are available to the wooden boat restorer. White lead paste, coal tar, oakum. The Keyes imperial no.1 blacking we use has now disappeared when Keyes shut down but I managed to get the last 45 gallon drum. This should be a lifetime's supply if I can resist the pressure to part with 'just a bit, mate'.

Liver Oil and Grease in liverpool are the main suppliers, but he's been threatening to shut up shop for years. TBS at Beccles is also good for most stuff, but they're v.expensive.

Creosote? Not in your bilges I hope! :lol:

Have you tried Cuprinol green? I've found that 'all-in-one' can tend to leach out of the wood a little if not protected with paint etc, 'green' won't, but supposedly doesn't take paint well.

cheers,

Pete.

"You shouldnt have rust underthere, use a good quality rust killer and then some proper Bilge paint"

- from a recent post by Stuart. What "rust killer" would you use?

We have a perfectly good product in our range BUT try not to need ours or any of the other excellent treatments on the market - and incidentally I don`t care a jot which you may choose - the real answer is get rid of the rust entirely if it is at all possible. There is a tendency for people to use rust treatments when a bit more hard work would produce a better solution.

Cheers

Phil

Real creosote is not illegal and is still used in many applications including a variety of cough sweets and medicines. However, the manufacturers felt that they were unable to justify the costs of satisfying various EU requirements for continued domestic retail sales (a very small part of their business) and as a result, it is no longer legal to sell creosote for domestic use in retail outlets.

If you are in the business of preserving wood, real creosote is still the best there is . . .