Santa might be bringing a genny...

Duchess Omnium

Featured Posts

I had the same dilemma a few years back. I wasnt keen on putting hundreds of extra hours on a large expensive boat engine so I opted for a Honda 20i genny for the winter. It charges the batteries faster than the combined twin alternators. Its hooked up to a 100a charger though. Its not as quiet as the engine but it vibrates less, I often put the genny out on the bank (on a long motorbike security chain). It uses miles less fuel than our 65hp boat engine too.

Solar panels take care of everything all summer.

We turn the fridge off once it get cold and then only charge the batteries every 3 or 4 days (depends on how many hours spent working from home on pc).

Les

Kippers seem to be 50 / 50, some owners have run them for years, and others have blown the inverter board quite quick, however spares and repairs on them are like rocking horse poop in the uk. An ignition module if you can get one is $30 !

I've stripped them down, and repaired them and the quality is not bad at all. But there's no real warranty on them that's worth much.

Hi, Les, Thanks. That is what I was thinking.

sounds like almost everyone all around thinks the Honda EU20i is the best solution for my needs.

If you have a 50amp charger, then the EU10i will be adequate, and will use less fuel. Against that, it will be working harder. Don't forget that these things need oil changes at quite frequent intervals.

BTW, using CFLs on 230V from the inverter will use a lot less energy than your halogens, despite the inverter losses.

Edited by sebrof

One thing to take note of with the Honda EU10i and EU20i generators is that a synchronization lead is available which enables two Honda generators to run together as one, obviously if you are running a light load you only use one generator, if you need more power you use the both generators.

Edited by mattlad

If you have a 50amp charger, then the EU10i will be adequate, and will use less fuel. Against that, it will be working harder. Don't forget that these things need oil changes at quite frequent intervals.

BTW, using CFLs on 230V from the inverter will use a lot less energy than your halogens, despite the inverter losses.

Ok, puzzled again. If it is working harder, won't it use more fuel?

Right, back to basics. Does anyone think I should just run t he engine instead?

If not the engine, and assuming solar won't work in the winter, which generator would you choose if Santa were bringing it (i.e. you don't have to pay the initial cost, but you have to live with it and pay all ongoing costs.)

Ok, puzzled again. If it is working harder, won't it use more fuel?

Right, back to basics. Does anyone think I should just run t he engine instead?

If not the engine, and assuming solar won't work in the winter, which generator would you choose if Santa were bringing it (i.e. you don't have to pay the initial cost, but you have to live with it and pay all ongoing costs.)

It probably won't use as much fuel as the 20i, even working harder, but it will wear out quicker and you won't have any reserve capacity, if you want to do something else whilst it's running.

I don't like running my engine unless I'm boating but that's a personal choice and I won't be entering that debate.

The one I'd choose would be the 20i because it won't be overworked and I can use it for other things, whilst charging the batteries.

I would get the eu 2.

Similar reasons to Carl but I think that the 2 could actually use less fuel for the same load.

The 1 at full load (900 watts) is equal to the 2 at slightly more than half load (max is 1600 watts)

So the 2 is working half as hard and capacity to spare.

Nothing scientific

I'm pretty sure the charge output is 50 amps.

I was thinking of a generator because I was hoping to save engine hours and also because I thought I might be able to get one quieter than the engine.

Finally, I thought it might be cheaper than running the e ngine because I gather they are very fuel efficient.

Is any of this true, and does it make sense?

Dont lose sight of the fuel cost,the honda is using petrol which is delivered by carburettor,the boats engine is metering the fuel more accurately as it is fuel injected.

and diesel is still a good deal cheaper than petrol?

petrol is an inconvenient fuel to aquire and store,and it's shelf life is short.

when i start my boat's engine with low domestic batteries,the tickover is greatly reduced as the 3 alternators are causing a load of 4-5 horsepower.

the engine is well loaded during charging,and it is providing continuous hot water.

i posess a HONDA E800 generator which is kept for emergency purposes and power tool use.

it has never failed,since i purchased it in 1974!

I would get the eu 2.

Similar reasons to Carl but I think that the 2 could actually use less fuel for the same load.

The 1 at full load (900 watts) is equal to the 2 at slightly more than half load (max is 1600 watts)

Nothing scientific

No. A smaller engine has smaller and lighter parts, and all else being equal will use less fuel than a larger engine to do the same amount of work.

The 20i is significantly more expensive than the 10i, and unless you use it a lot at full power, you are probably not going to see much benefit for the extra expenditure.

Edited by sebrof

No. A smaller engine has smaller and lighter parts, and all else being equal will use less fuel than a larger engine to do the same amount of work.

The 20i is significantly more expensive than the 10i, and unless you use it a lot at full power, you are probably not going to see much benefit for the extra expenditure.

You are absolutely right....... But! Area increases to the power of 2 and volume increases to the power of 3. So as an engine "gets bigger" the volume increases at a greater rate than the surface area. So a bigger engine has a greater volume to surface area ratio. Heat is lost from the surface, so less surface area to volume ratio means a more efficient engine........

You are absolutely right....... But! Area increases to the power of 2 and volume increases to the power of 3. So as an engine "gets bigger" the volume increases at a greater rate than the surface area. So a bigger engine has a greater volume to surface area ratio. Heat is lost from the surface, so less surface area to volume ratio means a more efficient engine........

Yes, but....

Friction losses are small, and heat losses are irrelevant - the cooling system equals out any differences there. The big problems are the mass of the components that have to be accelerated and decelerated as the pistons go up and down, and the compression that has to be overcome.

I would get the eu 2.

Nothing scientific

I don't think that there will be much difference in fuel consumption, as to be able to supply the power for a certain load, the engine has to produce a certain amount of power, the only difference is that the bigger one doesn't have to rev as fast, so will have an easier life, but still needs the same amount of hp to do this.

Nowadays many cars have smaller engines that work harder than the previously used bigger engines, but do the same job more efficient and more economical.

To me the bigger genny is only interesting if you really need the power it can supply.

Peter.

There is one other point to consider.

The 20 weighs 21 kilos, the 10 weighs 13. Both with empty tanks.

For a woman (Amazons excepted), that weight difference could be a clinching argument. Even for the average man, 21 kilos is not exactly light.