Shortboat A40

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

We saw Nidd at Tournus on its way back up the Saône this year but I did not take any photos. The thread reminded me however that I did photograph A40 which we tied behind at Antoing in Belgium in June. The owners of A40 tried to buy Ribble from us several years ago, but we'd just sold it to Barry Lawson.

A40.jpg

A40ii.jpg

A40iii.jpg

This last one emphasises the "Englishness" of a shortboat when seen in company with our Friesland and Bill Fisher's Rijnstrom, both beurtschips (beurtschippen?), and a Dutch tug.

Edited by Tam & Di

We saw Nidd at Tournus on its way back up the Saône this year but I did not take any photos. The thread reminded me however that I did photograph A40 which we tied behind at Antoing in Belgium in June. The owners of A40 tried to buy Ribble from us several years ago, but we'd just sold it to Barry Lawson.

This last one emphasises the "Englishness" of a shortboat when seen in company with our Friesland and Bill Fisher's Rijnstrom, both beurtschips (beurtschippen?), and a Dutch tug.

Thanks for the nice photos of the A40 Tam, I saw this Shortboat on the Meuse in Belgium about 1 month ago below Givet going downstream.

I think that you were too much in a hurry to write the name of Bill Fishers beurtschip "RIJNSTROOM" and the pluriel of beurtschip is "BEURTSCHEPEN".

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks for the nice photos of the A40 Tam, I saw this Shortboat on the Meuse in Belgium about 1 month ago below Givet going downstream.

I think that you were too much in a hurry to write the name of Bill Fishers beurtschip "RIJNSTROOM" and the pluriel of beurtschip is "BEURTSCHEPEN".

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter, yes I'd noticed the missing "n" in Bill's boat and made an edit. My Dutch is crap (crepen?). I did wonder what mayalld and carlt might suggest as the proper English plural form for a Dutch word used in English but didn't have a few days spare to ask. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

Thanks Peter, yes I'd noticed the missing "n" in Bill's boat and made an edit. My Dutch is crap (crepen?). I did wonder what mayalld and carlt might suggest as the proper English plural form for a Dutch word used in English but didn't have a few days spare to ask. :rolleyes:

Hello Tam,

The missing letter was the second "O", Dutch is not an easy language, and if I wouldn't have been born Dutch, I don't think I would have bottered learning a difficult language only spoken by very few people in our world, that are often able to speak at least 1 other more used language too.

Carl and a few others seem to be stronger in latin, of which I only understand a few words that are used in Dutch barge names.

Cheers,

Peter.

Am I right in thinking it finished its working days on the Westwood power station run?

Tim

I am not 100% sure TBH. Pluto or some other knowledgeable person will know the answer to that. I am 99% certain I saw A40 in the early 70's at Wigan, but will stand corrected.

I am not 100% sure TBH. Pluto or some other knowledgeable person will know the answer to that. I am 99% certain I saw A40 in the early 70's at Wigan, but will stand corrected.

A40 was sold out of trade in August 1972, its last commercial operator being British Fuels Ltd., Burnley. Following its sale in 1972 A40 was renamed BELMORE, the name it carried until about 10 years ago.

(all information per the late Clive Guthrie who was preparing a publication on all builds by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd., Northwich)

A40 was sold out of trade in August 1972, its last commercial operator being British Fuels Ltd., Burnley. Following its sale in 1972 A40 was renamed BELMORE, the name it carried until about 10 years ago.

(all information per the late Clive Guthrie who was preparing a publication on all builds by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd., Northwich)

All the A boats originally built for flour millers Appleby's were on the Whitebirk and Wigan Power Station coal traffics, apart from A38 which was worked by Albert Blundell after being sold when Applebys's stopped using the canal.

All the A boats originally built for flour millers Appleby's were on the Whitebirk and Wigan Power Station coal traffics, apart from A38 which was worked by Albert Blundell after being sold when Applebys's stopped using the canal.

When did the Whitebirk traffic finish, Mike? Early '60s presumably?

I thought the Westwood traffic was run by Hargreaves, or was it shared?

Tim

When did the Whitebirk traffic finish, Mike? Early '60s presumably?

I thought the Westwood traffic was run by Hargreaves, or was it shared?

Tim

Hargreaves took over the Whitebirk traffic in the mid to late 1950s, and I think they took over the Wigan traffic at the same time, though I don't have definite details. Whitebirk finished circa 1963, because of both the quality of Burnley coal declining and the harsh winter.

Am I missing something here ?

W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. records list A 36 to A42 as being built for B.I. Transport Co. Ltd., which is also the owner named for each vessel at their first health registration at Liverpool.

B I Transport was the transport arm of the company which owned Appleby's flour mills. The boats worked mainly to Daisyfield Mill in Blackburn. Applebys had previously had wooden boats, and when considering whether to build new iron boats, compared times between canal delivered and rail delivered grain from Birkenhead. The canal times were shorter, though the company continued to have a rail connection and their own steam shunting engine, as well as ordering new boats.

B I Transport was the transport arm of the company which owned Appleby's flour mills. The boats worked mainly to Daisyfield Mill in Blackburn. Applebys had previously had wooden boats, and when considering whether to build new iron boats, compared times between canal delivered and rail delivered grain from Birkenhead. The canal times were shorter, though the company continued to have a rail connection and their own steam shunting engine, as well as ordering new boats.

Thank you for clearing that miss-understanding up.

Is anyone doing anything with the work Clive had started?

At Clive's funeral his son stated that he was going to complete the work started by his father. At this stage all of the work was done really as the manuscript had been completed, proof read and I believe approved by Clive's publisher. All that was left to do was to insert relevant photographs, although the manuscript could have been published without these in my opinion as its value was as a reference book not a photograph album.

For whatever reason Clive's son did not take up what was left of the challenge and the last I heard (about two years ago) was that all of his work was with his daughter in the south west. To be honest I do not expect to hear of, or see any of Clive's work again. Fortunately I am one of three people who received a manuscript for proof reading, and it is this along with other information that Clive gave me that I sometimes refer to - especially about the non-narrow boats that W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. built (I was a major contributer to the narrow boat aspect of Clive's book - along with others of course).