Proposals and the A34

hafren

Featured Posts

i think the old canal from oxford to swindon goes under the a34 just south of abingdon. i just happened to note a straight blue line on the sat nav and using google earth later it would appear to be in water and seemed to be in the right place. there are laybys around so you could park up and scramble down the embankment and do the deed in the culvert!

The bit in water is actually the river Ock, the Wilts & Berks canal runs parallel. You can follow the route on the aerial view, through the housing estate, along Caldecott road to where it entered the Thames near Wharf Close.

I want to propose to my wonderful other half next year. I have been desperately thinking of something that reflects us but is truly memorable.

This idea may seem ridiculous but due to strange co-incidences both my parents and my grandparents got engaged in laybys on the A34. We both like traditions and connections but I have to admit the A34 isn't quite what I'd envisaged! However over dinner with my best friend yesterday she suggested that perhaps being in sight of the A34 may allow a semi romantic tale to be connected whilst being in a far more romantic setting!

I'd quite like to surprise her with a romantic weekend on a canal boat. I have been a number of times before but she hasn't and it's very high on her holiday wish list. If this can combine with coming within spitting distance of the A34 so my tenuous romantic link can be brought out I would be happy that I'd found something memorable and a bit different!

Do any of you knowledgable souls happen to know whether the A34 meets a canal at any point? The Macclesfield canal looks like a good bet if I can find hire boats in the area....we both love the peaks so it would be a bonus...could you let me know? Any recommendations of beautiful stretches of canal in the area would also be v much appreciated!

Thank you!

H

Hi

The Trent and Mersey goes under the A34 at Kidsgrove and that is at the southern end of the Macclesfield.

You can also hire a boat from Heritage narrowboats, less than a days travel to the bridge but make sure you book a enough time to see the whole of the Macc - you'll love it.

Alex

Really enjoying reading all these responses. Some great ideas to be looking up....a no expense spared trip of course but I work for the National Trust so the expense is somewhat limited and prices of canal boat hire in peak season did make me gulp a little! Really looking forward to finding a way of getting it all sorted though.

As for my other half seeing this and finding me out I had thought of it but feel if her sleuthing skills extend to trawling canalworld forums she deserves to find out!

Thank you again

Perhaps there is a place where the A34 goes through National Thrust land, so you could not only propose, you could go and see the historic buildings for free as well?

National Thrust land? Not sure we are talking about the same organisation...!!! Doesn't sounds as romantic as planned...!

Sorry, slip of the keyboard, it's my usual nickname for that august organisation. I am an inveterate bestower of nicknames, usually unintentionally!For example, a few months ago I forgot the name of the posh chap with the 'tache on Antiques Road Show and called him "Nigel Toffy" - he is really, it seems, Tim Wonnacott, but his real name doesn not really suit his on-screen persona.

Edited by Athy

Sorry, slip of the keyboard, it's my usual nickname for that august organisation. I am an inveterate bestower of nicknames, usually unintentionally!

It was a great slip of the key board don't get me wrong! We are trying to project a 'cooler' image now...I'll pass the selection on to managment ;)