The way navigation

barney84

Featured Posts

From my last visit there I think there are one or two residential moorings associated with the mooring wardens on the various moorings, and one boat at Godalming wharf, but for the most part they are as scarce as rocking horse poo. don't know about Pyrford Marina but think they aren't keen either.

If you want to live aboard in that area the Thames around Shepperton/Penton Hook and some of the various islands like D'oyly Carte might be a better bet? Or maybe some of the boatyards?

Wonderful though the internet is, talking to Real People face to face seems to be the best way to find moorings IMHO.

Not sure if it's still there but there used to be a residential mooring at Dapdune wharf. I nearly bought the boat that was on it a few years back. The only catch was that you would become a vounteer warden for the NT, so nothing too time consuming.

Edited by Stephen Sugg

There are residential moorings on the Wey. There is one at Send but you had to be a weir keeper. The Roger fuller 70 foot boat was actually in this

forums for sale section. The Manager of Pyford Marine used to live on his boat in the marina. The mooring warden at Paper Court lock lived on his boat last year.

From my last visit there I think there are one or two residential moorings associated with the mooring wardens on the various moorings, and one boat at Godalming wharf, but for the most part they are as scarce as rocking horse poo. don't know about Pyrford Marina but think they aren't keen either.

If you want to live aboard in that area the Thames around Shepperton/Penton Hook and some of the various islands like D'oyly Carte might be a better bet? Or maybe some of the boatyards?

Wonderful though the internet is, talking to Real People face to face seems to be the best way to find moorings IMHO.

I looked into this a few years when I was working in Leatherhead, and the Pyrford marina website said something like "No, we don't turn a blind eye to liveaboards, so don't ask." So I didn't!

Maybe that's where I saw it? Chatting to people on the Wey who moored there, none of them were liveaboards.

I remember the chap who was at Dapdune a few years ago. Like all boats on the Wey it had to have a Wey-related pun for a boat name. His was called Steinwey because it had an upright piano onboard.

When we moored at Staines we used to go up the Wey quite a bit. The longest license we could get was 3 weeks at a time. Probably my favourite navigation I've been on, although the large gate paddles take a bit of getting used to with a 70' boat in the lock.