Kyme Eau

Iceman

Featured Posts

I'm hoping to have my first narrow boat renovated and ready for the South Kyme gathering in Spring.

For how much of the year is the Kyme Eau navigable? I've read differing views concerning weed and water levels.

My boat is only 30 feet long so winding aint a problem. She is 2 feet 9 inches deep however.

Cor! Erebus at the South Kyme boat gathering! I look forward to seeing that.

Smudge and Purple Fairy, and Paddyr live there but don't post prolifically so it might be worth your while sending them a pm

From my own experience you will be fine with the weed problem until early summer and then again in late autumn

Hope to see you there then. The boat is still a long way off though. I have not seen it in the water yet or had the Ailsa Craig running. Almost got the outside painted, although there is lots to do inside. At least I've got Kyme as an incentive.

Edited by Iceman

Hi Iceman, it would be great to see you at the Festival.

The Kyme Eau/Slea navigation gets hard work towards the end of June, having said that a nb went down to Cobblers Lock (end of navigation) at the end of August but they were 'seasoned' boaters, determined to get there. They also said it took 3 hours to wind.

After South Kyme the cut gets narrow and shallow, tick over is the best speed to make progress.

Hope you get your boat sorted so we can have a pint!

Smelly - get your backside down here, the Billinghay Ruffs will be there and lots of medieval mead! :D

:cheers::cheers:

We visited there in a hire boat in the summer back in 1998. Only just skimmed under the bridge just before the village but couldn't get under the next low one to be able to wind due to excess rain. Had to reverse back about 2 miles before turning.

Won't stop me tryimg again next year but may have to take the cratch down and boxes off the roof. Depth of water might be the problem now.

Regards

Pete

We visited there in a hire boat in the summer back in 1998. Only just skimmed under the bridge just before the village but couldn't get under the next low one to be able to wind due to excess rain. Had to reverse back about 2 miles before turning.

Won't stop me tryimg again next year but may have to take the cratch down and boxes off the roof. Depth of water might be the problem now.

Regards

Pete

Halfpenny toll bridge is the lowest on the navigation it has an airdrought of 6ft 4in depending on rain fall

Hi Iceman, it would be great to see you at the Festival.

The Kyme Eau/Slea navigation gets hard work towards the end of June, having said that a nb went down to Cobblers Lock (end of navigation) at the end of August but they were 'seasoned' boaters, determined to get there. They also said it took 3 hours to wind.

After South Kyme the cut gets narrow and shallow, tick over is the best speed to make progress.

Hope you get your boat sorted so we can have a pint!

Smelly - get your backside down here, the Billinghay Ruffs will be there and lots of medieval mead! :D

:cheers::cheers:

We can have a pint anyway. I live at Walcott, so I'll be coming to the festival even if the boat does'nt. :cheers:

Thanks for the info and here are a couple of photos of Erebus as she sits at the moment.

IMGP0183.jpg

IMGP0182.jpg

Edited by Iceman

Just before Hell freezes over unless Reg gets his way :banghead:

It may just happen :

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order, for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in

Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore is extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A

It may just happen :

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order, for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in

Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore is extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A

Sure his name wasnt Sheldon Cooper

Whats the mooring situation at Chapel Hill Smudge? Always looks choccablock when I drive past.

Our side has a waiting list dont think the other side does but i could get you some phone nos if you want some and pm them to you

Whats the mooring situation at Chapel Hill Smudge? Always looks choccablock when I drive past.

When we looked last year the landowner told us he was going to put in some new (extra) pontoons but in the meantime we could just build our own mooring (as many seem to have done already) and pay the 'rent' to him.

Sure his name wasnt Sheldon Cooper

Our side has a waiting list dont think the other side does but i could get you some phone nos if you want some and pm them to you

Thanks but i'm often in the area, I'll nip in and have words.

Cheers

Kev

Years ago when we went up to South Kyme the guillotine lock handle took 400 turns we spent the night in the lock on the way back.

You will be fine now it only takes about 1oo turns :banghead: Not that bad really,and it's a lovely place to moor for the night or weekend.

South Kyme is a nice place to go and the locals love the boats coming up,A few of us had aweek up there and i had more offers of water to fill the tank,lifts to shops if we needed,it was so nice.Only down side is it is in need of dredge (sorry not a word the EA will let you use)DESILTING,I need a bit more water than most so tend to get pulled backwards from bottom lock to kyme and then do the same for anyone going back down who can't wind.Anyone thinking of going in 2012 will find it well worth the time to get here.and the BEER is good aswell. :cheers:

cheers Paddy