Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi- Before we bought our boat earlier this year, we looked at a lot of boats and none of them had a carbon monoxide alarm. Given that a lot of boats have gas boilers and stoves we were surprised by this and have fitted a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm.

You can also get combined ones now- dont know if they are as good

Is there a reason why people dont fit them- or did we just see an unrepresentataive selection of boats. Either way- be safe everyone

I was hoping to do this for "Sickle", as having only a rather nice back cabin, it seemed a shame to have to put two ugly white plastic boxes up.

Unfortunately I could only find a couple of combined CO / smoke alarms, and both were of the "ionising" rather than "optical" type for smoke detection.

We don't have too much luck with "ionising" alarms in boats - just too many false alarms, and I felt this inevitable in a tiny back cabin.

Reluctantly we have had to settle on separate alarms.

Another think is that the combined alarms don't have a read out for CO levels I think - I find it quite reassuring to be able to see the peak level that has been recorded without reaching alarm level....

Does anybody make a combined one where the "smoke" bit is optical, (these are sometimes described as "toast proof" I think!......). Or one with a digital readout for CO levels ?

Does anybody make a combined one where the "smoke" bit is optical, (these are sometimes described as "toast proof" I think!......). Or one with a digital readout for CO levels ?

No digital CO read out but this one has an optical smoke detector...

http://www.sdfirealarms.co.uk/fire-protection/sco5ce-combined-photoelectric-smoke-co-alarm.html

Ed to add. - a bit pricey perhaps at £45 inc. the VAT but what price a life and probably not that much more than two separate good quality alarms.

Edited by MJG

Hi- Before we bought our boat earlier this year, we looked at a lot of boats and none of them had a carbon monoxide alarm. Given that a lot of boats have gas boilers and stoves we were surprised by this and have fitted a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm.

Is there a reason why people dont fit them- or did we just see an unrepresentataive selection of boats. Either way- be safe everyone

We have a combined co and lpg alarm fitted but it doesnt do smoke.

We have a combined co and lpg alarm fitted but it doesnt do smoke.

Isn't it advised to fit LPG alarms as low as possible, unlike CO and smoke alarms? Combining them would seem to be positively dangerous.

Edited to say I probably meant "useless"

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

When we bought Berengaria there was already a CO alarm fitted - and I managed to set it off the first day I was onboard :) When we left the boat in the marina for the night we put the chimney cap on but hadn't realised the fire wasn't completely out, and so we got a phone call an hour later saying the alarm was going off :blush:

On a more serious note it's saved our lives at least once I reckon - the flue had become blocked unbeknownst to us and wasn't venting properly - the CO alarm went off straight away which made me investigate the situation!

I'm no expert an probably most of the following is here-say, but here goes anyway...

In terms of location, my understanding is the following:

1. Smoke detectors....have these high (smoke, particularly warm/hot smoke rises)

2. CO - CO has a density similar to 'air' and therefore the detector 'should' be at a similar height to the device that will generate the CO. However, as this will most likely be a 'hot' source (or at least hotter than the ambient air), then the CO will tend to rise - I assume this is why you can have combined CO/Smoke units. Was once told that a good height for a (dedicated) CO detector is about 'head height' when you are asleep - i.e. you want it to be checking the air you are breathing, and the biggest danger is when you are asleep...

3. LPG - this is heavier than air (and I guess is unlikely to be hot!) so will sink...seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that these should be no more than 30cm from the floor

We did have a combined CO / Smoke detector, but it only lasted about 12 months..(this highlighted one issue - if it breaks, you have nothing, at lease with two units you have something left). So we went back to fitting a dedicated smoke detector.

with respect to CO/LPG - picked up a combined detector (£10 from Discover leisure). (I assume this will not be as good as some of the more expensive units, but am adopting an 'anything is better than nothing' approach for the moment)

Isn't it advised to fit LPG alarms as low as possible, unlike CO and smoke alarms? Combining them would seem to be positively dangerous.

Edit as I misread your post Mac - thought you were on about combined CO & smoke detectors.

Edited by MJG

CO/smoke detectors - best to have several. I notice different makes/locations give slightly different sensitivities. And I like the idea that if one fails the other might just wake me up in time. Having lost one relative (and nearly lost two more) to carbon monoxide, I am quite happy to be woken up by machines screaming at me, even if it does turn out to be a false alarm. I can't understand people who don't have any safety equipment installed.

This one has seperate sensors. The co alarm sensor bit is at head height in the unit itself and there is a lpg sensor on a wire that is at floor level.

This thread has served as a useful reminder to get a CO detector - have been meaning to get one for the boat to complement my smoke detector but so far hadn't.

Duly ordered.

Thanks Martin,

I don't recall finding that one when we looked before.....

Seems quite a good way of not having a plethora of plastic boxes on display, despite quite a high cost.

Alan - hope you clock this post before you order if you plan to.

Just clocked it a good bit cheaper on Amazon here

Your local fire brigade can usually come round and do a safety check - they normally give away - and fit - smoke detectors and maybe (in some areas only?) CO detectors.

As I keep reminding my beloved, a detector can't do much lifesaving if it's still in the box you brought it home from the shop in, with no batteries......

Carbon Monoxide is heavy. Smoke is light. So a combined alarm is placed where exactly?

http://www.firstalert.com/pdfs/2009/10/07/f7a8c4b7.pdf

I understood it was LPG that was heavier than air not CO. CO is lighter than air is it not??

Seems it is from here

Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and also because it may be found with warm, rising air, detectors should be placed on a wall about 5 feet above the floor. The detector may be placed on the ceiling. Do not place the detector right next to or over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance. Keep the detector out of the way of pets and children. Each floor needs a separate detector. If you are getting a single carbon monoxide detector, place it near the sleeping area and make certain the alarm is loud enough to wake you up.

Edited by MJG