Engine Squeaking- Help!!

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

is the only place id get one from a chandlerS?

Not necessarily - if you take it to a car shop/parts supplier they will likely be able to match it. Avoid Halfords if you can - bit pricey

I would never contaminate a belt with any oil, It depends on friction to work and it wouldn't be good for the life the belt.

Alex

I agree, if you need to squirt anythong on a belt a 'belt dressing'. It is designed for the job and does not contaminate the belt

Not necessarily - if you take it to a car shop/parts supplier they will likely be able to match it. Avoid Halfords if you can - bit pricey

I always go to Halfords when her in doors drags me to Dunelm Mill :blush:

just to check out their prices.

Last time i needed a cv joint for the car

Halfords £79.99

local motor factors £34.95

avoid Halfords like the plague

is the only place id get one from a chandlerS?

A chandlers is likley to be expensive. Look in your local yellow pages for a motor factor, V-belt or bearing suppliers. Local independent car spares shops can be good too. Or buy online from the likes of the bearing boys.

Your old belt should have a reference number printed on it which will enable you to find the right replacement.

David

Hi Tony

Can you explain how the squeaking belt has an effect on the batteries????

Cheers

The belt is squealing because it's slipping whilst trying to rotate an alternator that has a very heavy load on it (flat batteries). Fix the belt and you'll be a long way towards fixing your charging (imho).

Tony

• Greenie 1

Thanks Tony, but is this the belt that just goes round the engine? There's two of them??? They all look fine and feel tight so how do I know if I need to get new ones???? The altnerators also aren't directly "on" the belts are they?

I know nothing about engines!! Arrrgh!!!

Its the ones that go around the alternator pulleys. You have probably got two; a smaller one and a larger one.

Apply very firm pressure with a thumb in the middle of the belt (midway between the drive and alternator pulleys) and estimate how many millimetres the belt can move up and down (i.e. the play). Obviously, make sure the engine is stopped when you do it..

Depennding on the result will tell you if the belt needs tightening. 1/2"/12.5mm is usually okay - more is not.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Thanks PFU - so it'll be the big thick belt not the little,smaller one?

Can you post a pic of your engine? what is it? (my pic was a car engine, only to show how the belt goes around the alternator). On my last change the belt damage didnt show up until you removed it to inspect it, checking the slack didnt show up the problem.

Edit: here's a typical marine setup (single alternator and much simpler)

balmar-alternator.gif

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

by the way, when we took the belt off and then started the engine there was no squeaking so it must definately be that big thick drive belt.

Nothing looked wrong with it though when we took it off. Went to halfords but they were about as much help as shite so gonna go to a mechanics or something tomorrow

by the way, when we took the belt off and then started the engine there was no squeaking so it must definately be that big thick drive belt.

Nothing looked wrong with it though when we took it off. Went to halfords but they were about as much help as shite so gonna go to a mechanics or something tomorrow

That belt charges your domestic bank (normally). :)

youre half way to fixing it, refit it and make sure its tight or refit a brand new one.

If fitted correctly that should cure it (unless its the alt bearings or something else wrong inside the alt.)