Tile effect wall panels for showers

blackrose

Featured Posts

We've just fitted this on the walls round our bath to stop the leeks we had before, very effective and easy to fit.

Comes in boards about a foot wide that click together.

Plastivan interior decorative cladding.

Lots of colours and styles, and very easy to go round corners.

We bought it from Amari Building Plastics.

Not sure where you are or if they are local to you.

Sue

We've just fitted this on the walls round our bath to stop the leeks we had before, very effective and easy to fit.

Comes in boards about a foot wide that click together.

Plastivan interior decorative cladding.

Lots of colours and styles, and very easy to go round corners.

We bought it from Amari Building Plastics.

Not sure where you are or if they are local to you.

Sue

Thanks Sue,

I'm not quite clear - are the foot wide boards suitable for the inside of a shower? I was thinking of 2 full size boards for each side of a shower quadrant. I'm sure joints in panels are fine in bathrooms, but to be honest I don't trust any panels with joints inside the shower.

Does anyone know where I can get full size (say 6' x 3') boards?

Edited by blackrose

I did our shower at home out with these panels and they have been totally waterproof. Very easy to fix and slightly flexible. They are waterproof because they join with a tongue and groove, which if you want you can put a thin bead of silicone in, but in general iasn't needed.

I've still got 3 or 4 3m lengths available.

I did our shower at home out with these panels and they have been totally waterproof. Very easy to fix and slightly flexible. They are waterproof because they join with a tongue and groove, which if you want you can put a thin bead of silicone in, but in general iasn't needed.

I've still got 3 or 4 3m lengths available.

That's the bit I read on the website that put me off. Either silicone is required or it isn't - if a supplier of a product says "use a bead of silicone between T & G cladding if you want to" that makes me think it might not be totally waterproof without it. They say that power showers will require you using beads of silicone so they're obviously not entirely waterproof. I think I'd rather just get 2 complete full size wall panels and reduce the joints that water could penetrate through. This is for a job I'm going to do on a friend's boat and he's already had trouble with leaking tiles, so I just want to make it as simple as possible.

The trouble is on a boat you don't really know whether a product is waterproof on not until you find your floor or walls are discoloured or rotten.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks Sue,

I'm not quite clear - are the foot wide boards suitable for the inside of a shower? I was thinking of 2 full size boards for each side of a shower quadrant. I'm sure joints in panels are fine in bathrooms, but to be honest I don't trust any panels with joints inside the shower.

Does anyone know where I can get full size (say 6' x 3') boards?

The joints are designed so that any water runs down and back out of the joint. If you use the sealing strips they sell it's completely waterproof.

The corner is easy too. You cut a vertical strip out of the backing structure and just bend the board round so no joint in the corner.

With your 2 large boards you'd still have a joint in the corner, and no designed joint structure to stop water getting through.

Sue

It's getting late, I can't spell any more!!!

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

The joints are designed so that any water runs down and back out of the joint. If you use the sealing strips they sell it's completely waterproof.

The corner is easy too. You cut a vertical strip out of the backing structure and just bend the board round so no joint in the corner.

With your 2 large boards you'd still have a joint in the corner, and no designed joint structure to stop water getting through.

Sue

It's getting late, I can't spell any more!!!

Actually with the 2 large board kits from these people they do supply a joint structure for the corner.

http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/designer_panels/shower-wall-kits/aquabord-internal-corner--slate-grey.htm

I think most large board suppliers do, otherwise how would they expect you to seal the corner?

Edited by blackrose

I used the Aquamurea (i think) panels, 2 panels with joint strip in corner, silicon in strip to make sure. Been in use a year now and no signs of problems. Very happy with finish and went for smooth panels rather than tile effects as less places for crud to hide. The panels were about 10-12mm thick and I went for 1 make over other as backing material was superior.

Just looking to confirm which type and found our local supplier is no longer trading, shame they gave good service.

I looked at lots of different products from the likes of Showerwall etc. Some good stuff out there but expensive. I went with Plastivan in the end because I liked the look, was easy to fit and has been in for over a year now without any problems. I have the mother of all power-showers with a 300mm x 300mm 'rain head', normal shower head and 6 body jets. I used silicone in the joints and Sealux seals My link around the tray.

I'd use the same again without hesitation.

Colin

take a look at Bushboard 'Nuance' shower wall. Used it a few times, 8x4 boards, and a made for purpose corner strip. easy and looks good, has a rounded finished edge on the outer edge too. Not the cheapest, but very nice. Also used Mermaid, but that needs edging. Good bathroom/kitchen suppliers can provide.

I've used the Plastivan panels, and they are waterproof even without silicone, easy to fit and look good. BUT Be aware that the pattern is only printed on the surface of the plastic, and hence is a bit fragile. I've pulled some off with masking tape, which has peed me off as of course it ruins a whole panel, which is difficult to replace individually. So be gentle with them.

Richard

I've used the Plastivan panels, and they are waterproof even without silicone, easy to fit and look good. BUT Be aware that the pattern is only printed on the surface of the plastic, and hence is a bit fragile. I've pulled some off with masking tape, which has peed me off as of course it ruins a whole panel, which is difficult to replace individually. So be gentle with them.

Richard

To be honest, what you've written sounds like a good reason NOT to use them! So thanks for that advice.

Edited by blackrose

• 3 months later...

B&Q is where we ended up getting ours. About £40 a sheet, in the size you need. I used contact adhesive in a spray can, didn't bother with the angle piece supplied for the corner used a beed of sanitary silicone. Don't think they're coming down anytime soon.

Tim