Where to go - crew of two in October

RobinS

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Myself and MrsS are planning a one week canal boating holiday in mid-October. We are completely new to canal boats so would appreciate some suggestions on where to go. We are experienced boaters, under sail and power on the Norfolk Broads, and the sea, but never canals so have no experience of locks yet. We are both pretty active and like "doing" rather than just sitting around so I would have thought a route with a fair number of locks would be suitable. Given that it will be mid October, with dark, cold nights, plenty of cosy canalside pubs would be welcomed. I would also say that we generally prefer rural/villages/small towns to cities.

We would apprecaite suggestions as to route and start point/hire yard. Looking at availability, I have found suitable boats (size and price wise) at Silsden on the Leeds and Liverpool, on the Llangollen at the Welsh end, at Middlewitch where there seems plenty of choice, also Congleton, and Stone - but we are really open to suggestions....

thanks

Edited by RobinS

I would recommend the Llangollen.

Plenty of varity along with spectacular scienery in places.

Or check shire cruisers out at Sowerbybridge

Recommend you hire a Viking Boat from Lowesmoor Worcester then do the Avon ring but return from the Worcester Birmingham along the lovely Droitwich Canals which are fascinating being the oldest and newest canals in this country. A memorable holiday Enjoy

Hi All,

Myself and MrsS are planning a one week canal boating holiday in mid-October. We are completely new to canal boats so would appreciate some suggestions on where to go. We are experienced boaters, under sail and power on the Norfolk Broads, and the sea, but never canals so have no experience of locks yet. We are both pretty active and like "doing" rather than just sitting around so I would have thought a route with a fair number of locks would be suitable. Given that it will be mid October, with dark, cold nights, plenty of cosy canalside pubs would be welcomed. I would also say that we generally prefer rural/villages/small towns to cities.

We would apprecaite suggestions as to route and start point/hire yard. Looking at availability, I have found suitable boats (size and price wise) at Silsden on the Leeds and Liverpool, on the Llangollen at the Welsh end, at Middlewitch where there seems plenty of choice, also Congleton, and Stone - but we are really open to suggestions....

thanks

each to their own but I would use silsden as a choice of your places, I find the Llangollen massively overated and the L and L much nicer. One major point to consider is that as it may well be cold and damp whichever hire boat is fitted with a proper solid fuel stove would be the one I would hire they are immeasureably better than diesel or gas fired radiators :cheers:

We're planning on the L&L about a week later in Oct. We've loved it every time we've been on it and would definitely recommend it.

We've hired from the lovely RichardH (Canalboat Escapes) on here, and he's right next to some of the loveliest countryside there is anywhere. We rented 'Strumble' from him for a long weekend in early April (solid fuel fire) and it was just great!

Not done the Llangollen yet, so I can't offer any comparisons. Hope you enjoy it, wherever you end up :)

I would recommend the Llangollen.

Plenty of varity along with spectacular scienery in places.

Or check shire cruisers out at Sowerbybridge

We went up the Llangollen a couple of years ago in October half term and it was the busiest piece of canal I have ever been on. (I started boating in 1974 and have been at least one week a year since then) It is a fantastic canal but I would recommend you to avoid it in half term week. We also nipped down onto the Monty for a couple of days and that was beautifully peaceful and well worth the detour. (remember to book ahead for Frankton Locks)

Have an amazing time!

Nick

Recommend you hire a Viking Boat from Lowesmoor Worcester then do the Avon ring but return from the Worcester Birmingham along the lovely Droitwich Canals which are fascinating being the oldest and newest canals in this country. A memorable holiday Enjoy

Crikey Max, that is one heck of a (hire boat) week in October rolleyes.gif

We've hired from the lovely RichardH (Canalboat Escapes) on here, and he's right next to some of the loveliest countryside there is anywhere. We rented 'Strumble' from him for a long weekend in early April (solid fuel fire) and it was just great

I have to admit I'm a bit biased as I now work for Richard doing handovers, but I really have to agree that he is next to some of the nicest countryside anywhere...the Leeds & Liverpool Canal is magnificent - from the marina through Gargrave and on to Skipton and the Bingley 5 Rise is a trip not to be missed. As you haven't done locks before, make sure that the company you use gives you some decent tuition!

We're holidaying on one of his boats in the middle of October, cruising from Barnoldswick to Nantwich, so please say hello if you pass us!

Janet

Hi All, Suggestions so far seem to be split between Llangollen and the Leeds and Liverpool, so I am looking at available boats for those. A couple of further questions - we will going the week before half term - presumably the Llangollen will not be too busy then? Would it be practical for us to do the Llangollen starting and finishing in Middlewich? There is a suitable looking boat available there, and by starting at the east end it would mean that would'nt have to drive so far to start.

On the subject of solid fuel stoves on boats, it had occurred to me that it would nice and cosy if the weather is bad - but most boats with stoves seem to be the larger, more expensive ones - are there smaller two person boats around with stoves? (I did look at "Strumble" mentioned above but it is not available on our dates - we need to start Saturday or Sunday 15th/16th).

Finally - there three different stern designs - what are the advantages/disadvantages of each (or does it not matter too much)?

thanks

Robin

each to their own but I would use silsden as a choice of your places, I find the Llangollen massively overated and the L and L much nicer. One major point to consider is that as it may well be cold and damp whichever hire boat is fitted with a proper solid fuel stove would be the one I would hire they are immeasureably better than diesel or gas fired radiators :cheers:

second the comment on LLangollen been overated, apart from the unpronounceable aqueduct, its no different than any other canal.

Dont want locks try the Ashby Canal with Ashby boats, they do some nice smaller boats for 2

I may be wrong, your last boat was 70 feet so no L and L for you, perhaps you have read about it?

For the OP the Llangollen canal is just beautiful... or was last September when we were there.

Cheers

A

I may be wrong, your last boat was 70 feet so no L and L for you, perhaps you have read about it?

For the OP the Llangollen canal is just beautiful... or was last September when we were there.

Cheers

A

:lol: :lol:

For your information I am not a newby I have owned 42/56/57/65 and 70 foot narrowboats since 1989 I have done over 90 per cent of the canals/rivers SEVERAL times as a proper ccer for much of the time winter and summer. As I said each to his own but with my experience I think the Llangollen is OK but nothing more whereas the L and L is more diversified and MUCH nicer, now you just keep dreaming and reading ya nicholsons ;)

Edited by mrsmelly