Rising Sun

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

Has anyone seen this and the rest of their facebook page. I don't do facebook but was tipped off by a regular to have a look as there are a lot of heritage pics including one from the 20's when it was a Benskin's place.

Any more history would be interesting. I catered for the wake of a previous (previous previous) landlord who died in the noughty's. The rest of the family seem to have left Berko. Kath as well is long cold in her grave may she rest in peace.

What do others think of these photos?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=95460288066&v=photos

I have been captivated tonight and the broken foot has also led me to scour Youtube for canal views from Marsworth to Apsley. All good stuff especially seeing stuff from 10 years ago. The canal seemed to be so much quieter. Fewer boats about except at official moorings.

OK, I'll get me coat and tin hat.

D x

Whilst having lived in and near Berko for several years, I never frequented the 'Riser'. Always was a joy to come upon that lock and pub so close at hand, but the most interesting shot for me was of the buildings of the Welcome Institute opposite the pub. It may be more attractive now and it has opened out the area, but there's another little bit of industry and work that has gone for good.

It's on page 4 of the Flickr set.

Also never really frequented it, though it is my understanding my brothers regularly used it as a local, particularly my late brother Pete, when they had their working boats.

I don't do "Facebook", but couldn't easily see any way of flicking through those images without opening each individually - a real pain, if that's right. Perhaps I just don't know how to drive it, but a slide-show would seem better.

Also they seem to e uncaptioned, and random ?

I wondered if I might see anyone I know, being local of the town, but wasn't sure.

Are there some Kennedys in there, do you know, Debby ?

In early '76 I was coming through Berkhamsted late one afternoon, and decided to stop and have a pint at a canal-side pub. There were several in that area then, The Crystal Palace, The Boat and The Riser in Berko, The Three Horseshoes at Winkwell and The Fisheries at Boxmoor. For some reason, I found myself turning into George Street in Berko, where I stopped at The Riser's little alleyway, leading down to the cut. It was about five o'clock, and the pub was open. I bought a pint of Ind Coope and sat outside on the seat by the lock. Bill, the landlord came out and sat and talked. Being thoroughly disillusioned with both living and working in London, I asked him, rather flippantly, if he knew of any houses for sale in the area, that were on the canal. He said, "Yes,mine, just there." He indicated a small detached Victorian house, sat at the top end of the lock, with garden and outbuildings adjacent to the towpath and direct access out onto the canal side and the pub.

Needless to say, within the space of the time it took to finish my beer, have a quick look around the house and return to the pub for another pint, I'd made him an offer (I won't say what, because no-one would believe me with current prices!), which he and Kath accepted straight away. I then had the job of going back to London and explaining my actions to my wife.

We moved in in September '76 and we spent nearly four years there.

The Riser was just a splendid example of a "back street boozer" then. Basic, outside toilets, good beer, no food, and a wonderful atmosphere, with all sorts of different customers, from all walks of life. We celebrated HMQ's '77 Jubilee with a cricket match between the over 30's and the under 30's, which was accompanied by unfeasible amounts of beer. We also had a tug of war, with teams located on each side of the lock, the rope going across the lock. Being a warm-ish sort of a day, I need'nt tell you where both teams ended up.

Extremely fond memories of those days at The Riser.

R.I.P. Bill and Kath.

Edited by johnthebridge

Facebook? Nor me, or Twitter come to that, but there's 12 pages of thumbnails to view without 'joining' and the image I referred to is top middle on page 4. Nothing much to look at, just a few buildings in the 'Fletton' range and behind the group seated on the balance beam.

1976, I'd just stopped driving the 301's and 706's after five years on the buses. Always liked Berko as a town, but they've destroyed it with traffic engineering.

Edited by Derek R.

Great pics Debbie. I've known the pub since I was a young lad. My auntie and uncle lived in the house next door (on the right when looking from the cut). Used to sit on that lock with a limeade with my brother and cousin while the adults were in the pub, none of us managed to fall in. I guess that was in the early 70's.

Les

Should add to my previous, having looked at the photos, that I recognise several faces. Perhaps best if I don't put a name to people who might object, so suffice to say it was nice to see both Bill and Kath in there, but Bill's picture is the wrong way round! I couldn't help but notice that the only photo of a boat was mine. The Rugby Boat Builders boat with my name and "Hillmorton" on the cabin side. We used to moor it sometimes at the top of Sweeps Two. Nobody bothered.

I have many happy memories of the Riser, Particularly Dolly Dakin dancing to Jim Gilson's Piano playing, (Land lord at the time)with the whole floor in the back room bouncing up and down, and drinks falling off the tables. The hearth of the blazing coal fire moving with the beat.... Ayno and Ayr Loaded with piles, moored below the lock...

.One of Jim's favourites was a rewording of an old song

(Are you lonesome tonight?

Are your Corsets too tight?

Are your stockings all laddered and worn?

and your knickers all tattered and torn?

Is your Hair falling out?

Are you're crippled with gout?

It's no wonder you're lonesome tonight!)

Jim used to have a cig on his lip most of the time, but there was a painting above the piano of a lady, and he had made a hole in her mouth where he also used to rest his fag.

I remember Alec Purcell having two bottles of Guiness off everyone on the Union pair, he was skippering at the time, and him telling me how he had been born "at the bottom of Smethwick in 1897" or was it 1892??. All the bottles were lined up on his table.... I counted at least 24!

I remember being Drunk and disorderly in a 48 hour drinking session with Bilster and Angel tied below the lock for the Queens Jubilee (1977??).

I remember unseating the top gates of the lock and being stuck with the horse boat unable to get through, so that evenings trip was spent above the lock until it got sorted with shearlegs the next day!

I remember Sunday's learning from Irish Pete, who crewed with us on Ben Kiblrech, the delights of drinking Worthington's White Shields on a empty stomach for Sunday Lunch......Bill and Kath were just locals in the early days.....

Good pub, with proper games, Dominoes, shut the box... etc...although there was a move to playing Boules outside, all very well until the short pound flooded and water ran across the front of the pub, (not infrequently when Foster's hire boats set out......)

Edited by antarmike

Are there some Kennedys in there, do you know, Debby ?

I really don't know. I haven't seen a lot of the old crowd for a very long while. If I see Penny I can ask her as she's bound to know. So many people have moved away.

Little Jim is still driving buses around Berko though. Not sure if the photo of the horse barge/party boat he used to operate is still up in the pub somewhere. Will have to have a look.

BTW the Riser have a new website http://www.theriser.net/

And if you check out the photo gallery there's a picture of nb Fulbourne in the lock.

D

Edited for new website

Edited by debbifiggy

Whilst having lived in and near Berko for several years, I never frequented the 'Riser'. Always was a joy to come upon that lock and pub so close at hand, but the most interesting shot for me was of the buildings of the Welcome Institute opposite the pub. It may be more attractive now and it has opened out the area, but there's another little bit of industry and work that has gone for good.

It's on page 4 of the Flickr set.

As it were...We knew it as Cooper's

Blackandwhitesandcoloured114.jpg

Copyright Mike Fincher

Edited by antarmike