Desperate for advice on Ducati IS20 gearbox

beetooex

Featured Posts

My fiance and I are liveaboards on a 1970s springer fitted with with a ducati single cylinder. It's probably an IS20 but could be an IS18 or IS19. The gearbox has multiple problems and needs to be replaced, or at the very least needs major work with multiple parts needed. To fit a more common gearbox the engineer tells me I need a new drive plate and adapter plate.

I'm finding it hard to find even a reference to my engine online, let alone any parts, new or otherwise. Unfortunately my engine is not the same as the more common twin cyclinder (DM models) fitted with hurth boxes.

I'm starting to wonder if I need to go for an entire engine swap, which we can't really afford and I'm loathe to scrap a perfectly good (if underpowered and out of production) engine.

Has anyone got any ideas?

So far I have tried-

the yahoo ducati diesel group (not a lot of activity)

the google ducati diesel group (seemingly defunct)

the ducati thread on the oldmarineengine.com forum

emailing diesel power ltd, the uk dealer for vm motori engines

Is there one thats been kicking around your boatyard for the last 20 years?

Thanks guys,

Ben

My fiance and I are liveaboards on a 1970s springer fitted with with a ducati single cylinder. It's probably an IS20 but could be an IS18 or IS19. The gearbox has multiple problems and needs to be replaced, or at the very least needs major work with multiple parts needed. To fit a more common gearbox the engineer tells me I need a new drive plate and adapter plate.

I'm finding it hard to find even a reference to my engine online, let alone any parts, new or otherwise. Unfortunately my engine is not the same as the more common twin cyclinder (DM models) fitted with hurth boxes.

I'm starting to wonder if I need to go for an entire engine swap, which we can't really afford and I'm loathe to scrap a perfectly good (if underpowered and out of production) engine.

Has anyone got any ideas?

So far I have tried-

the yahoo ducati diesel group (not a lot of activity)

the google ducati diesel group (seemingly defunct)

the ducati thread on the oldmarineengine.com forum

emailing diesel power ltd, the uk dealer for vm motori engines

Is there one thats been kicking around your boatyard for the last 20 years?

Thanks guys,

Ben

Hello Ben

Try contacting Ducati directly.

A boat owner on a mooring near me had similar problems which he resolved in that way.

He has since sold it and given up boating, so I can't provide anything further.

Steve

Thanks guys,

The reply from Diesel Power Uk says they last had parts in 1994 and VM Motorri are not replying...

Looks like it has to be a donor engine. I have figured out my engine is an IS-16 not IS-20 as I thought and that the box was maybe made by Iori though.

Does anybody know of a good old fashioned boatyard that has loads of old engine bits floating around that we could rumage through?

Thanks guys,

The reply from Diesel Power Uk says they last had parts in 1994 and VM Motorri are not replying...

Looks like it has to be a donor engine. I have figured out my engine is an IS-16 not IS-20 as I thought and that the box was maybe made by Iori though.

Does anybody know of a good old fashioned boatyard that has loads of old engine bits floating around that we could rumage through?

Try ringing Chertsey Meads Marine on the Thames. They seem to have a line on old engines but not sure about Ducati though. 0870 411 9888

The boatyard engineer and I took a tour around Daventry and Braunston this morning and talked to a lot of people. No joy so far and it's become clear that with my funny engine bearers and prop shaft (machined down to 1" specially!!?!) an engine swap is out of our budget.

It sounds like LOADS of small Springers were fitted with these in the 70's before they changed to Listers and 15 years ago LOADS of people were swapping them out for something more modern or better supported.

So where did they all go? All scrapped?

Thanks for the contact Tony, I'm still trying to get through on the phone.

Keep the ideas coming people, it's very much appreciated!