Living all year in boat

Dader

Featured Posts

Plus the cost of fuel for electricity generation when you're not travelling

Well, yes, plus I suspect more miles/hours than that would be done per year, I'm just working out the absolute minimum travelling costs for a CCer!

Although saying that - with a winter mooring - for 3-5 months per year a CCer would be sitting in one place and possibly "plugged in".

Edited by Proud Salopian

True - however when I get round to buying/building it will be 2017 or so!! By then the present glut of new(ish) boats on the market may have dwindled. We shall see...

:D In 2017 you will still have a choice of numerous immaculate barely unused boats, that has been the case every year in my 20 plus years narrowboating. The facts are that every year many many people come to this way of life and without knowing what they are doing blow many thousands of pounds on " the boat of their dreams " :rolleyes: and after a matter of only weeks in some cases oh dear its not for me and another bespoke goes on the market and someone gets a great boat for massively less than the original purchaser.

:D Iafter a matter of only weeks in some cases oh dear its not for me and another bespoke goes on the market and someone gets a great boat for massively less than the original purchaser.

And then requires re-"adjustments" to meet the new owners requirements ?

:D In 2017 you will still have a choice of numerous immaculate barely unused boats, that has been the case every year in my 20 plus years narrowboating. The facts are that every year many many people come to this way of life and without knowing what they are doing blow many thousands of pounds on " the boat of their dreams " :rolleyes: and after a matter of only weeks in some cases oh dear its not for me and another bespoke goes on the market and someone gets a great boat for massively less than the original purchaser.

and its people like you who are unbelievably patronising and smug that make it unpleasant for those that do follow and stay with a dream..... It isn't always a stupid thing to do!!

Im weary of old sea dogs sneering down their noses at new and utterly novice boaters,

Give it a rest, why don't you, maybe try welcoming a bit more? maybe many many wont be discouraged.

and its people like you who are unbelievably patronising and smug that make it unpleasant for those that do follow and stay with a dream..... It isn't always a stupid thing to do!!

Im weary of old sea dogs sneering down their noses at new and utterly novice boaters,

Give it a rest, why don't you, maybe try welcoming a bit more? maybe many many wont be discouraged.

I can't see anything in mrsmelly's post to warrant your comments.

All that was said is that many people buy something and then decide they don't like it a short time later. If people didn't do that half the retailers in the country would be out of business.

• Greenie 1

I used one bag of coal a week last winter, and eco logs from Andy Little, (country4x4) albeit with diesel central heating for early mornings, and during the summer I forage for as much free wood as possible. From my maintenance fund I purchased a chain saw, so easy to use and saves considerable muscle power.

The high maintenance quote has been agreed as high, however since I am unskilled I am saving for regular professional service checks and any eventuality. Likewise the full repainting and subsequent re-sign writing is a skill I could not hope to learn and I intend to keep the boat looking as new, inside and out.

Im pleased for you that you mange to spend just £5000 a year but you could agree that sometime in the future you might have to find a considerable sum for an unforeseen problem. I prefer to build into my annual costing for any eventuality. If in seven years time the repainting is not as expensive as I've been quoted then I will spend my savings on a luxury.

cheers.gif

Its your choice to have a new paint job every 7 years, so with this new shiny paint job is the inside going to have a new refit?

Better than having to break into a defunct boatyard and take the half finished shell you paid for, before the receiver adds it to the list of assets.

??????? What on earth are you talking about !??

??????? What on earth are you talking about !??

I'm talking about what some people have had to do, when they've ordered a new boat from a builder who has subsequently gone bust.

I would rather buy a nearly new boat, and spend the money I've just saved, with the depreciation, getting it altered to how I want it.

That way I would be taking what is indisputably my property, to a builder, rather than risk losing the lot.

I'm sure that you are right, but ---- if everyone took your advice there would be few barely used boats about, the shell makers would have gone bust & the boat fitters that were left would only have refurbs to do.

Some of us did our research, chose our builder, had a bit of luck & finished up with the boat that we wanted.

I can think of a few things that I would have changed with hindsight, but they are very minor & I am happy

with my new (now 5 y.o.) boat.

• Greenie 1

I'm talking about what some people have had to do, when they've ordered a new boat from a builder who has subsequently gone bust.

I would rather buy a nearly new boat, and spend the money I've just saved, with the depreciation, getting it altered to how I want it.

That way I would be taking what is indisputably my property, to a builder, rather than risk losing the lot.

Oh.. & I thought you were taking the p122...Now I know..!