Fireproof

Featured Posts

Having seen the horrible pictures of burnt out boats, and vandalism may have been the cause of some, I have been wondering about trying to reduce the intensity of a fire. When I get to do me own boat I think I’m going for a non-combustible lining, partitions etc. If I can find nothing better I’ll use plasterboard, dry-line the bugger. :lol:

Wonder what me learned friends think?

Edited by Amicus

Having seen the horrible pictures of burnt out boats, and vandalism may have been the cause of some, I have been wondering about trying to reduce the intensity of a fire. When I get to do me own boat I think I’m going for a non-combustible lining, partitions etc. If I can find nothing better I’ll use plasterboard, dry-line the bugger. :lol:

Wonder what me learned friends think?

Let's not get carried away with this, how many boats are registered on the waterways. Thousands and how many fires are there in a year and of those how many are on inhabited boats and of those how many are boats built to a good standard. How many serious injuries have resulted from boat fires, I have never seen any figures but I suspect there are very, very few.

Narrowboats are not the fire-traps that a few people make them out to be, look at an approved fire-door in an office block or hospital they are made of plywood and much thinner than we use for lining out. That nice looking modern narrowboat that burned out the other day, we don't know yet but I would be surprised if it was not caused by vandalism of some kind and that only happens to unattended boats.

I agree with John, we all pay insurance just in case, nobody wants to have to deal with our pride & joy's being set alight but lets not panic about this.

Generally even if the linings and insulation were totally fireproof, the smoke damage would cause the boat to be written off anyway and would at least need a complete re-fit of the interior.

I agree with yous guys. As far as I’m concerned it’s not about a boat being a death trap or causing me or anybody else harm. But, no matter how well found a craft might be, no matter how carefully the fit-out is done, it don’t stop a scrote lobbing a molotov cocktail through the window of an un-attended boat. Sure, the insurance will (maybe) cover the replacement of your “pride and joy” but what if the boat is ones ONLY abode. In the situation I am planning to be in, a total loss would be a major blow, it’s not the money, it’s the time. Even if the insurance replaced like with like, (yeah, right :lol: ) how long would I be living in the local Travel Lodge? Much too old for that nonsense, ain’t got that many years left. ;)

I agree with yous guys. As far as I’m concerned it’s not about a boat being a death trap or causing me or anybody else harm. But, no matter how well found a craft might be, no matter how carefully the fit-out is done, it don’t stop a scrote lobbing a molotov cocktail through the window of an un-attended boat. Sure, the insurance will (maybe) cover the replacement of your “pride and joy” but what if the boat is ones ONLY abode. In the situation I am planning to be in, a total loss would be a major blow, it’s not the money, it’s the time. Even if the insurance replaced like with like, (yeah, right :lol: ) how long would I be living in the local Travel Lodge? Much too old for that nonsense, ain’t got that many years left. ;)

Isnt this situation exactly the same as a house though?

I agree with John, we all pay insurance just in case, nobody wants to have to deal with our pride & joy's being set alight but lets not panic about this.

Generally even if the linings and insulation were totally fireproof, the smoke damage would cause the boat to be written off anyway and would at least need a complete re-fit of the interior.

I also agree with the main thrust of John and Stuart. As general advice to no individual, I would say to people to consider the issue if someone is commissioning new, fitting out or re-fitting, but a sense of perspective is important.

We have recorded 12 narrowboat fires last year. Only one involved an injury, of a minor nature. Of that dozen, one was a work-boat and one a butty. Two are listed as arson, two with electrical faults, three relate to space heating stoves (not cookers), three are lsited as 'not known' cause and there are two others.

This is out of 49 fire/explosion incidents we now have recorded on small craft last year (this includes coastal craft).

Planning against fire happening and planning what to do should it happen is advisable. I'm not suggesting that anyone is panicing, but it would be unfortunate if any one overreacts. There are a few low cost low impact steps that people can take to manage risks, our leaflets and the Essential Guide highlights those.

I have been wondering about trying to reduce the intensity of a fire. When I get to do me own boat I think I’m going for a non-combustible lining, partitions etc. If I can find nothing better I’ll use plasterboard, dry-line the bugger.

I think there are many other 'flammable' items on board that will light much quicker than 18mm plywood lining. Eg chairs, bed linen, curtains, carpets, cloths (in the wardrobe) etc. etc.

Setting a 18mm plywood board alight needs quite an intense flame, you would struggle with a match, but you could set alight many other items on board with a match.

I think it would be better to concentrate on reducing the 'flammable' risk of other items on board. But I think that is easier said than done, in that although you can by 'flame retardant' materials they still burn. I am no expert but I would guess that 18mm plywood is probably as 'flame retardant' as shop purchased 'flame retardant' furniture (which will most likely consist of wood under the material!).

But I bet we all have many items on board that are not flame retardant, and reducing these would certainly help.

If the boat fire was from vandals, then added security (double glazed, toughened windows, good security locks on doors etc.) would also help, and for me this would be a higher priority than plasterboard lining.

Ian

DB Elessina

I also agree with the main thrust of John and Stuart. As general advice to no individual, I would say to people to consider the issue if someone is commissioning new, fitting out or re-fitting, but a sense of perspective is important.

We have recorded 12 narrowboat fires last year. Only one involved an injury, of a minor nature. Of that dozen, one was a work-boat and one a butty. Two are listed as arson, two with electrical faults, three relate to space heating stoves (not cookers), three are lsited as 'not known' cause and there are two others.

This is out of 49 fire/explosion incidents we now have recorded on small craft last year (this includes coastal craft).

Planning against fire happening and planning what to do should it happen is advisable. I'm not suggesting that anyone is panicing, but it would be unfortunate if any one overreacts. There are a few low cost low impact steps that people can take to manage risks, our leaflets and the Essential Guide highlights those.

Thanks for giving us these figures Rob, it's good to have some real data instead of the usual plethora of guesses and rumours.

Allan

Thanks for giving us these figures Rob, it's good to have some real data instead of the usual plethora of guesses and rumours.

Allan

some of the best adviceI could give would be to make sure you have got a smoke detector or more depending on the size of you boat fitted,all the other issues have been covered,flame retardent material etc,but my conceren is the flamability of the various varnishes used. remember it`s not the flames that get you but the smoke,so fit a detector and plan an escape route,should be easy on a 60ft corridor.