Engine room paint

terryvanman

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me if the grey paint in my engine room [below the stern deck] is special paint or can I repaint it using any old paint like garage floor paint;;; thanks :help:

It's bilge paint. I don't know whether it'd equate to garage floor paint.

International Danboline is a fave and Rylards do some as well; no doubt there are other brands available.

Can anyone tell me if the grey paint in my engine room [below the stern deck] is special paint or can I repaint it using any old paint like garage floor paint;;; thanks :help:

Garage floor paint doesn't seem to take on old boat paint very well. Give it a rough coat of gloss grey boat paint first.

Richard

Interesting. The only time I used garage floor paint (many years ago) I noticed it had the same unusual smell that Danboline has, and I wonder if it was effectively the same thing. But maybe not.

Danboline is wonderful stuff. Ignore what is says on the tin. You can paint in on anything no matter how badly prepared and it sticks brilliantly. Put it straight on rusty oily bilge steel and it makes it all shiny and grey. Fantastic. I've yet to test it on wet rusty steel but I've a suspicion it will STILL stick.

It's also the only paint I've discovered so far that will stick to silicone and cover it properly.

An no I don't work for International ;-)

Interesting. The only time I used garage floor paint (many years ago) I noticed it had the same unusual smell that Danboline has, and I wonder if it was effectively the same thing. But maybe not.

Danboline is wonderful stuff. Ignore what is says on the tin. You can paint in on anything no matter how badly prepared and it sticks brilliantly. Put it straight on rusty oily bilge steel and it makes it all shiny and grey. Fantastic. I've yet to test it on wet rusty steel but I've a suspicion it will STILL stick.

It's also the only paint I've discovered so far that will stick to silicone and cover it properly.

An no I don't work for International ;-)

I also like Danboline, it has fantastic covering properties

Richard