Nice bit of film from the old days.

Caprifool

Featured Posts

Re a recent enquiry from Chertsey, between 13 and 14 minutes there is a brief shot of a fore-end locker being used for storing a towing rope.

Yes, I spotted a few recent questions being answered in that film

Thanks for posting a lovely film.

Interesting to see the old skills of manhandling sacks, even when stacking they were never lifted, only directed taking a portion of the weight.

I loved that part where they were stacking salt sacks. As you say, the bags were never lifted, just redirected in their flight.

Richard

Re a recent enquiry from Chertsey, between 13 and 14 minutes there is a brief shot of a fore-end locker being used for storing a towing rope.

But the rope is being lowered into the forecabin of a shallow sided F.M.C. Ltd. horse boat / butty rather than through the deck lid of a deep sided G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boat, the problem with the latter being anything put under the fore deck is a hell of a long way down and would be very difficult to retrieve !

Interesingly (to a different thread) the family name Wallington is also mentioned at the same point in the film.

Edited by pete harrison

That was Alf Best steering Darley by Lady Capel's with two of his sons on the cabin, Mrs. Best steering the Butty, with the youngest member of the family in the cot shielded from the Sun with the white shawl. Real Gent was Mr. Best by the accounts of one who worked with him on maintenance (not me).

Check out 'Inland Waterways' on the Beulah list, as well as 'Robert Reid Reports', and 'Broad Waterways' - all excellent viewing.

Loading the salt bags was the easy bit. Try unloading! Probably used an elevator reaching down into the hold, but rough hands and aching backs all round.

Sugar was possibly the worst bagged cargo, hundred weight sacks that leached content which cut and tore the skin. 'Blood Alley' was one term used for the Sugar Wharves on London River.

Edited by Derek R.

i knew the location just couldn't thinkof it at the time, always found it easier to steer round there as a pair than a single 70ft motor!

In almost 40 years of boating with 'historic' narrow boat pairs that is the only bridge where I have knocked down a cratch, although I still claim it was not entirely my fault. At that time (1997 ?) I was a member of a charity that operated a pair of 'historic' narrow boats using volunteer crew. The steerer (person in charge - I was also a steerer but not for this trip) insisted on towing the empty butty on a snatcher even though I had complained that this was un-necessary and a little un-professional. The bridge in question, which is on a tight bend when running south, was being renovated and was heavily scaffolded so reducing headroom somewhat. The motor was loaded with coal so passed through the bridge without problem but the empty butty that I was steering did not quite fit, the top of the luby catching the scaffolding followed by a lot of noise. Fortunately no real damage was done and the cratch went back together with no problem. Obviously the scaffold did not move at all.

• 3 weeks later...