Bridgewater Boat Builders.

Featured Posts

The boat i have recently bought was built by Bridgewater Boat Builders presumably of Manchester or Salford but i can find out very little about them. My boat was built in 97 and was believed to be one of the last they built before they ceased trading.

I was wondering if anyone new anything about the company. Googling has turned up very little. According to Jim Shead it would appear there are still 115 of there boats registered but other than that, nowt!

What happened to the company,did they go on to become another company, were they considered decent builders, how long did they trade etc. Any info would be welcome as we are trying to build up some kind of history about the boat or company.

• 6 months later...

The boat i have recently bought was built by Bridgewater Boat Builders presumably of Manchester or Salford but i can find out very little about them. My boat was built in 97 and was believed to be one of the last they built before they ceased trading.

I was wondering if anyone new anything about the company. Googling has turned up very little. According to Jim Shead it would appear there are still 115 of there boats registered but other than that, nowt!

What happened to the company,did they go on to become another company, were they considered decent builders, how long did they trade etc. Any info would be welcome as we are trying to build up some kind of history about the boat or company.

Hi there, I used to work for Bridgewater Boat builders in the mid 90's. They went bust in about 98 I think. I have heard that they started up again but cannot be sure. I built the shell of your boat. Nice to see that it is still in good shape.

:smiley_offtopic:

Why are the posts that were made in the early hours of this morning showing e.g. - 25 July 2012 03.41pm and don't show am and today until the last post above?

ETA Forget that - the earlier posts were all 2011 and in the afternoon :( I'm having a senior moment - lasting several hours....

Edited by journeyperson

I placed an order for a new Bridgewater Boat in early 2002. In September, the company went bust, and the owner, Mildred McWilliams, was declared bankrupt in November 2002. In 2003 Bridgewater Boatbuilders Ltd was formed, owned by Aspull engineering of Boothstown. Until I'm paid the money they owe me for my deposit, they are not on my Christmas card list, to say the least.

From the History of Aspull Engineering, looks like they just took over the assets I could not see any of the old names in the owners so it looks like it's not a reincarnation how surprising!

"2002

Aspull took on the ex-employees of a defunct narrow boat building company and formed a company named Bridgewater Boat Builders Ltd to continue the business of building traditional steel hulled narrow boats."

• 1 month later...

From the History of Aspull Engineering, looks like they just took over the assets I could not see any of the old names in the owners so it looks like it's not a reincarnation how surprising!

"2002

Aspull took on the ex-employees of a defunct narrow boat building company and formed a company named Bridgewater Boat Builders Ltd to continue the business of building traditional steel hulled narrow boats."

Related to this,I'm sorry to learn that Orion Narrowboats is to move from Ashwood Marina to the Bonded Warehouse on the Stourbridge Arm in July. The brokerage and chandlery are to continue but the boatbuilding is to cease (they made very nice tug-style boats, fabricated by Steve Grainger).

• 2 weeks later...

Bridgewater Boat Builders did go bust in September 2002. I remember this clearly because we were in the process of having a narrowboat built by them. The lady in question had just told us that she and her son were taking over the leasehold of the nearby Boothstown Marina, so well was the boatbuilding side going.

Her willingness to keep us in the information loop did not extend to telling us, a few weeks later, that the company had gone bust, which we discovered after completing the 150 mile journey to check on the progress of our boat, and we never heard from her again.

If she did take over the lease of that marina, and if she's still there, do please remember us to her. We've got no problem remembering her.

Related to this,I'm sorry to learn that Orion Narrowboats is to move from Ashwood Marina to the Bonded Warehouse on the Stourbridge Arm in July. The brokerage and chandlery are to continue but the boatbuilding is to cease (they made very nice tug-style boats, fabricated by Steve Grainger).

Why? They are well established and have advertised regularly in the boatimags for years. I got the impression that they were a secure company who would have no difficulty in getting orders in their niche market. They are not my favourite "tug" style boats (though they look better in the "flesh" than in their advertising photos) but they're handsome enough and I have never read of anyone complaining about them.

• 2 years later...

Hi

H

Hi

I was wondering if you still got your bridgewater boat as our offer on a bridgewater 30ft wideboat has been accepted, & if so we would be interested to know your opinions on the build. thanks sue

Hi Sue. Yes we still have ours and are very pleased with it. The hull was good at survey and the fit out as good as most and better than many.

By one of those strange quirks of fate that life often throws up a friend/ex workmate of mine also bought a Bridgewater at more or less the same time and from the same broker without, at the time, either of us knowing. He like me was delighted with the boat although he sold it earlier this year to someone on this forum and they seemed equally pleased. He would not have sold other than they are looking for something longer to live on.

Although both our boats were of a similar vintage, mid 90s, and the style of the fit out and woodwork very similar, almost identical, the shells were quite different. We never really found out if Bridgewater fabricated their own shells, bought in off the shelf or contracted out to their spec either way we were/are both delighted with our boats.

Hi Sue. Yes we still have ours and are very pleased with it. The hull was good at survey and the fit out as good as most and better than many.

By one of those strange quirks of fate that life often throws up a friend/ex workmate of mine also bought a Bridgewater at more or less the same time and from the same broker without, at the time, either of us knowing. He like me was delighted with the boat although he sold it earlier this year to someone on this forum and they seemed equally pleased. He would not have sold other than they are looking for something longer to live on.

Although both our boats were of a similar vintage, mid 90s, and the style of the fit out and woodwork very similar, almost identical, the shells were quite different. We never really found out if Bridgewater fabricated their own shells, bought in off the shelf or contracted out to their spec either way we were/are both delighted with our boats.

Hi

Thanks for that:)

Its reassuring to actual no someone who has a boat from the same builder, even thought they are all slightly different .

The woodwork & the fit out on this one is really lovely & we are really taken with the boat.

We can't wait to get the survey done then we will can relax :)

Sue x

Hi

H

Hi

I was wondering if you still got your bridgewater boat as our offer on a bridgewater 30ft wideboat has been accepted, & if so we would be interested to know your opinions on the build. thanks sue

Would that be Classy Lass on the Lancaster by any chance?

Hi

Yes it is do you no her smile.png

I know the boat and the previous/present owners. Classy Lass was repainted approx 3 years ago when she was lifted out for blacking by the previous owners. The present owner in the last 2 years has had an 'A' frame and canopy fitted and also a rear cover fitted to the stern. In the last 18mths the boat has seen very little action.

She is a tidy boat inside.

Hope your survey goes well.

Edited by Androo

I know the boat and the previous/present owners. Classy Lass was repainted approx 3 years ago when she was lifted out for blacking by the previous owners. The present owner in the last 2 years has had an 'A' frame and canopy fitted and also a rear cover fitted to the stern. In the last 18mths the boat has seen very little action.

She is a tidy boat inside.

Hope your survey goes well.

Hi

We are hoping to have her survey next week & all being well :)

Then we are planning on having her bottom power washed, blacked & new anodes fitted & the lifted on to transport to take her to York, from there we will sail her to ripon:) :) :)

That's if we can organise the transport :(

This might seem like a stupid question but do you know if she has a flat bottom !

Sue x

We used to own a bridgewater boatbuilders boat called Barney we were very happy with the boat and the shell was built by them as well.

Best Regards,

James

Thanks

It seems like they are a pretty decent builder which is always good to know :)