Swing Bridges

Featured Posts

I did the Stainforth to Keadby section yesterday single handed. There are six manual swing bridges on the section between Thorne and the skew bridge at Keady and two of them where really stiff. I know that I would not win any "strongest man in Britain" awards, but I really struggled to get them open. Both appeared to be stuck at the far end with too much weight rubbing on the pad. I couldn't put downward pressure on my end whilst at the same time trying to get them to turn so ended up walking across to the other side and lifting the bridge by its railings and once I got it moving, jumping back across quickly to finish the job with the proper swing arm.

My guess is that this situation has come about through lack of maintenance - any other examples of stiff swing bridges where it would be advisable to have someone like Geoff Capes as a passenger?

We have done this stretch a few times and whilst some of the bridges have been a little stiff or heavier than others never to the extend that you are describing. We have always managed to get them to swing and i aint the largest nor strongest lass on earth.

I'm impressed.

The worst one was Maud Bridge - took me nearly five minutes of rocking and cajoulling before it finally shifted.

Sheer determination.

On one trip through we had to get from Selby to Keadby in the one day. It was 10 hours of bloody hard work and there were no other boats around. We made it though and Keadby was a very welcome sight at the end of the day.

Sheer determination.

On one trip through we had to get from Selby to Keadby in the one day. It was 10 hours of bloody hard work and there were no other boats around. We made it though and Keadby was a very welcome sight at the end of the day.

Take a stiff broom and sweep the tracks first then oil the rollers,could save time. bizzard.

Take a stiff broom and sweep the tracks first then oil the rollers,could save time. bizzard.

We didnt need to save any time. 10 hours from Selby to Keadby is no mean feat. Most boaters take at least 72 hours to do the same trip.

Im glad to say that our last trip that way was a much more relaxed affair and we spent more time enjoying the scenery and a few drinks along the way.

If they're stiff and you can't move em a light tap with the bow normally does the trick

IIRC with some of these you'd be hitting them with the cabin (or cratch), not the stempost. My recollection also is that some of them were bastards, not helped by queues of impatient drivers and massed gongoozling schoolkids.

Edited by Chertsey