River Severn, Diglis Locks

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

The River Severn is closed just below Worcester, as something has broken at Diglis Locks.

I just phoned BW and they couldn't give any further news yet, but recommended that I should phone them for an update on Friday.

That puts the "Avon Ring" out of action until further notice.

Had this sent to me...note the dates

Diglis River Locks Closure

Monday 12 September 2011 - Friday 21 October 2011

Diglis River Lock Stoppage- Major Works being undertaken from 12.09.2011 to 21.10.2012

Diglis lock is made of two locks which are side by side. The locks are fed by a single feed pipe which runs between the two locks and to allow the safe dewatering of the each lock we need to close off the feed pipe.

To do this a steel plate will be installed at each end of the pipe. Once in place, this means we will be unable to fill either lock.

The timing in September and October is intended to reduce the risk of the River being in flood and should be completed before the October Half term holidays.

The works that are being undertaken on the stoppage are:-

• Replacement of Gate Cills

• Repairs to main lock Cills

• Brickwork repairs

• Inspection of Feeder culverts

• Inspection of the lock chamber

• Removal of debris from the lock chamber

There may be an opportunity to see this unique structure as part of a public open event – keep an eye on press releases as we approach the stoppage.

Enquiries: 01452318000

Andrew

The River Severn is closed just below Worcester, as something has broken at Diglis Locks.

I just phoned BW and they couldn't give any further news yet, but recommended that I should phone them for an update on Friday.

That puts the "Avon Ring" out of action until further notice.

Was going to say and the StourPort Ring as well but then realised you now have the option of going via the droitwich canals and missing out Worcester completely.

Which gives me an idea for a cruise sometime lol

Dove: yes I had that one as well, but this one is a stoppage as of yesterday afternoon.

Muddywaters: you can use the Droitwich or you still go down to Worcester from Stourport and then up the W&B, this stoppage is on the river just below Worcester

The locks are fed by a single feed pipe which runs between the two locks and to allow the safe dewatering of the each lock we need to close off the feed pipe.

To do this a steel plate will be installed at each end of the pipe. Once in place, this means we will be unable to fill either lock.

The works that are being undertaken on the stoppage are:-

• Inspection of Feeder culverts

err! is it me or does A. prohibit B.? :cheers:

Dove: yes I had that one as well, but this one is a stoppage as of yesterday afternoon.

Muddywaters: you can use the Droitwich or you still go down to Worcester from Stourport and then up the W&B, this stoppage is on the river just below Worcester

Sorry miss read it, thought the OP was talking about the lock from the W&B onto the Severn.

I stand corrected

While we were in Stourport this afternoon came the good news, they've located the obstruction which was preventing them from closing the gate so the large lock is once again fully operational - although the small lock is still out of action.

Full marks to BW on this one, that was quick work.

While we were in Stourport this afternoon came the good news, they've located the obstruction which was preventing them from closing the gate so the large lock is once again fully operational - although the small lock is still out of action.

Full marks to BW on this one, that was quick work.

Are you referring the the River locks or the W&B locks out onto the river?. I had read the notices as referring to two different things.

I think its outragous to close the river locks so early in September for so long, the season is still going strong. Completely buggers up our two week plan. The prediction that it will all be finished for the half term holiday in October is supposed to make it alright is it?

Steve

Everything in this thread relates to the locks which are on the River Severn, half a mile south of the W&B canal entrance.

The notices referred to two different things, but on the same locks. My original post was about an emergency stoppage which started on Monday afternoon and was expected to last for anything between a week and a month but which in the event was fixed within 2 days. I came through the (large) lock today. The second post in reply was about a stoppage that is planned in September/October

Now comfortably moored in Gloucester Docks. There was a lovely current pushing us all the way down the river. We expect to be in this area for about a week before heading back up the river.

Incidentally we were going to stop at t he Coal House at Apperley; only it now doesn't open on Mondays Tuesdays or Wednesdays (does that count as a stoppage?)

Incidentally we were going to stop at t he Coal House at Apperley; only it now doesn't open on Mondays Tuesdays or Wednesdays (does that count as a stoppage?)

i think that it almost counts as a closure!! if they are not getting trade 3 days a week then sadly the writting is on the wall, as they are definately not going to cover their costs (i know i've been there!)

BW have now issued the below, which applies "until further notice":

Diglis Large Lock opening will be restricted as follows:

08.00 -09.30 Lock Open

09.30-12.30 Lock Closed

12.30-13.30 Lock Open

13.30-17.30 Lock Closed

17.30 Lock Open.

Please note Diglis Small Lock is still not operational so there will be no passage through Diglis during the Large Lock closed periods.

Steve

BW have now issued the below, which applies "until further notice":

Diglis Large Lock opening will be restricted as follows:

08.00 -09.30 Lock Open

09.30-12.30 Lock Closed

12.30-13.30 Lock Open

13.30-17.30 Lock Closed

17.30 Lock Open.

Please note Diglis Small Lock is still not operational so there will be no passage through Diglis during the Large Lock closed periods.

Steve

Does that cover weekends too? It implies that after 1730 it is open (though till normal closing time, whatever that is?)

HOping to go through on Sunday....