LED Lighting

AlanH

Featured Posts

The only equipment I would connect to a vehicle supply is one which is primarily designed to be connected to a NOMINAL 12 volt supply, and preferably which came with a supplied cigar plug lead, thereby demonstrating its suitability to be run from a NOMINAL 12 volt vehicle supply and/or the manual quotes an acceptable supply voltage range.

You make some good points nick, manufacturers rarely supply the 12 volt lead though, the reason why is that there are several different plugs for 12 volt leads ie 2 pin ciggy lighter din plug

Neither my 12 volt TV lap top or dab radio or 3 TV's came with a direct 12 volt supply. I can however buy them on line, some models even with voltage protection. Just because a lead isn't supplied doesn't mean it can't be used. Even my last 2 mobile phones didn't have them and I had to buy them separately.

There are some EC rules called rhos or something that I read some time ago, and if a piece of equipment is fitted with a 12 volt socket usually with a mark on it stating 12v DC then it can be reasonably assumed by the user that equipment can be run from a 12 volt power source where ever it might come from. This is my whole point and was told that 12 volt equipment has to have voltage protection and that's why manufacturers fit it, if equipment can short then it can catch on fire. So protection is fitted as a matter of course. (idiot proof if you like) If the equipment is not suitable for DC input from other sources other than the adaptor supplied it would have to state that clearly on the said equipment or fit a connector that is not conducive and be confused with another voltage. In that instance then clearly it isn't suitable for 12v recreational use, however I've never come across such a warning. The fact that you can buy 12 volt leads with all the size jack plug available to fit all this equipment increases the possibility that they will be used for such 12 volt equipment. Manufacturers aren't stupid and would protect this equipment even if they didn't need to legally.

Absolutely. This is what I've been repeating over and over again to Julynian.

Tony

You obviously have a problem with reading comprehension. I shall waste no more time explaining it to you.

I have a problem with comprehension, blimey what part of that statement can't you understand. wacko.gif

I think the manufacturers will make a judgement when they get back a damaged piece of equipment, possibly giving the user the benefit of doubt. However, out of warranty I wouldn't risk it, (or in for that matter).

If people "devise methods" to connect their 12 volt item to the car / boat through e.g. a made up lead from items bought at Maplin / Ebay etc, they ought to have some appreciation and understanding of what they are doing, beyond "how to wire a plug".

I would wager that, if asked of 100 electronics engineers, "would you connect a 12 volt TV, working from a "brick" from the mains, to a vehicle supply, the majority would say "no" for the reasons already stated... A little knowledge.... and all that... smile.gif

Nick

I would wager that, if asked of 100 electronics engineers, "would you connect a 12 volt TV, working from a "brick" from the mains, to a vehicle supply, the majority would say "no" for the reasons already stated... A little knowledge.... and all that... smile.gif

Precisely so. Unless of course that equipment is specifically marketed as suitable for use in recreational vehicles, which is the point I made about 30 posts ago and which one member has continually argued against.

Never allow ignorance to get in the way of a good argument ;)

Tony

I think the manufacturers will make a judgement when they get back a damaged piece of equipment, possibly giving the user the benefit of doubt. However, out of warranty I wouldn't risk it, (or in for that matter).

They have no recourse, if they fit a 12 volt DC socket that accepts a 12 volt DC jack plug, then any user could only rightly assume it is for that purpose, unless of course clearly stated otherwise. I have yet to see any warning on a 12 volt device that says it can only be run from a brick supplied or not to be connected to 12 volt DC direct.

If people "devise methods" to connect their 12 volt item to the car / boat through e.g. a made up lead from items bought at Maplin / Ebay etc, they ought to have some appreciation and understanding of what they are doing, beyond "how to wire a plug".

There's no need to make anything up, 12 volt DC socket and connectors with all size jack plugs are readily available http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/4_way_12v_multi_plug_power_adaptor/ some even supplied by the manufacturer of the actual product.

Nick

I cannot see any reason why not.

Although they would probably fit spike protectors and voltage regulators. Well they are engineers after all wink.gif

Mainly because a vehicle supply is not 12 volts but usually up to 20% more than that - even filament light bulbs have their life severely shortened by "over voltaging" them... Some/most will be designed for the vehicle's 14 odd volts, but e.g. a 12V projector lamp would die within hours on 14 volts.. as would 240V mains bulbs if run at 288 volts...

Even Bedazzled make a point of shouting about their protection devices they put in to preserve their LEDs..

Nick