NOT FOR MEN KEEP PLEASE OUT!

JennyM

Featured Posts

but by society as a whole you most certainly were not.

I think that depends on your parents.

I was taught not to be gullible and fall for what some in society may try to force down your throat.

Evidently your parents missed that lesson, leaving you paranoid and over sensitive to harmless trivia.

I still blame the parents.

I was taught not to be gullible and fall for what some in society may try to force down your throat.

Oh come on, are you seriously trying to say that you are completely resistant to societal pressure? That's a big claim.

Evidently your parents missed that lesson, leaving you paranoid and over sensitive to harmless trivia.

I would appreciate it if you left my parents out of this, as my family background is something you know nothing about.

Oh come on, are you seriously trying to say that you are completely resistant to societal pressure? That's a big claim.

I think my parents taught me the ability to distinguish between harmful prejudice and harmless humour, isn't that what we are discussing, here? You seem to have missed that lesson.

I would appreciate it if you left my parents out of this, as my family background is something you know nothing about.

You were the one that raised the "nature versus nurture" argument. If that hits a nerve then perhaps you shouldn't have tried to use it to bolster what would seem to be a pretty weak argument.

Edited by carlt

You were the one that raised the "nature versus nurture" argument. If that hits a nerve then perhaps you shouldn't have tried to use it to bolster what would seem to be a pretty weak argument.

Nurture includes many factors, not simply ones upbringing in the family home.

Nurture includes many factors, not simply ones upbringing in the family home.

But how you react to those factors definitely starts with your parents.

The way you are reacting to this light hearted, harmless thread suggests some failing, in that early influence.

Harsh. I'll call my mum and tell her to try harder next time.

It might be a good idea.

Of all the many things that you have learned on your passage through life, a sense of proportion doesn't seem to have found its way in there.

Harsh. I'll call my mum and tell her to try harder next time.

That would be sound advice.

I'm not convinced my words are any harsher than your premise that anyone who has contributed or enjoyed this thread, or any other light hearted, harmless 'battle of the sexes' banter, is a sexist threat to society.

Edited by carlt

I'm not convinced my words are any harsher than your premise that anyone who has contributed or enjoyed this thread, or any other light hearted, harmless 'battle of the sexes' banter, is a sexist threat to society.

My parents are not involved in this discussion, I am. To blame them for any failings on my part is very unfair.

My parents are not involved in this discussion, I am. To blame them for any failings on my part is very unfair.

It isn't unfair since you are blaming nurture, for your failings. I'm just going to the root of your problems.

It isn't unfair since you are blaming nurture, for your failings. I'm just going to the root of your problems.

You are clearly not a psychologist, and even if you were to attempt psycho-analysis of an individual based on a few comments on an internet forum is beyond ridiculous.

You are clearly not a psychologist, and even if you were to attempt psycho-analysis of an individual based on a few comments on an internet forum is beyond ridiculous.

I am not attempting to psycho analyse anyone, merely have a discussion, on a discussion forum.

If you don't want to discuss your parents' failings why raise them here?

You raised parental failings, not me.

No, you raised nurture, not me.

You also claim that this thread is harmful to society, which is not the 'message' that society in general is giving, therefore it is reasonable to assume that the seeds of your paranoia were sowed earlier, by your parents.

As I see your paranoid over-sensitivity as a failing it is reasonable for me to blame your parents.

I'm not a gynaecologist but I'll have good look.

• Greenie 1

No, you raised nurture, not me.

I raised the Nature vs Nurture debate, which is a long running debate within academia. While parenting is clearly part of what is defined as "Nurture", it is one of a whole host of factors. You do not know my parents, you know nothing of how I was raised, and your assumption that the reason we have this disagreement is anything to do with them is a personal insult levelled at people you know nothing about.

You do not know my parents, you know nothing of how I was raised, and your assumption that the reason we have this disagreement is anything to do with them is a personal insult levelled at people you know nothing about.

I think that you accusing me, and others, of sexism, because we're having a bit of fun with the opposite sex, is a personal insult, levelled at people you know nothing about.

I prefer to address the issue, though, and explore the reasons for your insults, rather than crying about it.

I'm happy to learn more about your parents, and how you feel let down by them...

Edited by carlt

I think that you accusing me, and others, of sexism, because we're having a bit of fun with the opposite sex, is a personal insult, levelled at people you know nothing about.

I know what they wrote in their posts, which are exactly what I was responding to when I offended you.

I prefer to address the issue, though, and explore the reasons for your insults, rather than crying about it.

I'm happy to learn more about your parents, and how you feel let down by them...

Seriously. Grow up.

Seriously. Grow up.

I don't understand.

You blame nurture for your failings yet you acknowledge that Society does not teach us to think in the paranoid manner that you have demonstrated.

It follows that, as Society hasn't nurtured you, to behave how you do, then the cause must be closer to home.

I think, considering you steered the thread in this direction, it is only reasonable to discuss your parenting, and how it has led you to this point.

I don't understand.

You blame nurture for your failings yet you acknowledge that Society does not teach us to think in the paranoid manner that you have demonstrated.

It follows that, as Society hasn't nurtured you, to behave how you do, then the cause must be closer to home.

I think, considering you steered the thread in this direction, it is only reasonable to discuss your parenting, and how it has led you to this point.

I'm afraid Carl I think you are over-personalising this and you should back off. I agree as to how the issue was introduced, but you have made your point.

I'm afraid Carl I think you are over-personalising this and you should back off. I agree as to how the issue was introduced, but you have made your point.

On the contrary, I believe Doug raised some important issues and I am happy to discuss them with him.

On the contrary, I believe Doug raised some important issues and I am happy to discuss them with him.

Fair enough bud - you bat on I only offered my thoughts and I have nowt else to add.