Help!?

Bones

Featured Posts

My boat has terrible wind and I wondered whether anyone else has had a similar problem (with their boat!!!).

I keep hearing air bubbles around the boat - front and back end. The boat is currently moored in a marina. If it was infrequent I would not mind, but this is very frequent - I have tried to have a look, but don't seem to see anything.

Why?

we had a similar problem which we were told was down to the underlying ground.The marina is on a partly filled in quarry.However I was also told about galvanic corrosion which has been discussed elsewhere on this site and we purchased a galvanic isolator .Since then we've had no bubbles Coincidence or what?The problem may be caused by your own electrics or someone else's,either way we decided that peace of mind was important.

we had a similar problem which we were told was down to the underlying ground.The marina is on a partly filled in quarry.However I was also told about galvanic corrosion which has been discussed elsewhere on this site and we purchased a galvanic isolator .Since then we've had no bubbles Coincidence or what?The problem may be caused by your own electrics or someone else's,either way we decided that peace of mind was important.

OH!!! I see - what is the spec of your galvanic isolator? I shall shop around for it.

Not sure about spec.i bought it from Millar for £70 i think.can.t really remember.We had our invertor go belly up and while the new one was being fitted i had this fitted.It goes on the earth connection as near to the point that the connection to the landline as possible.The facia carries the logo www:aquafax.co.uk.It has a indicator with + or - 1.5volts marked in red or green to indicate pass or fail.

£78.28 in their catalogue(aquafax).Having had a look at it I think it would be dead easy to fit it yourself.

Not sure about spec.i bought it from Millar for £70 i think.can.t really remember.We had our invertor go belly up and while the new one was being fitted i had this fitted.It goes on the earth connection as near to the point that the connection to the landline as possible.The facia carries the logo www:aquafax.co.uk.It has a indicator with + or - 1.5volts marked in red or green to indicate pass or fail.

£78.28 in their catalogue(aquafax).Having had a look at it I think it would be dead easy to fit it yourself.

thank you! A farting boat is not good for ones complexion!

Market drayton boat yard does this to boats.

- The stuff on the bottom of the canal prodcues little bubbles.

- These collect under the boat untill theres enought to break out to the surface, often when you move about and tilt the boat.

- This is perfectly fine, if a little annooying at time times, nothing to do with galvanitc anything

Daniel

I am very happy to agree with Daniel for once. Decomposing organic matter on the canal bed gives off Co2 and other gasses there is nothing new about this.

But just to be on the safe side perhaps we could induce Mr Sterling and his ilk to market an anti-flatulence device. £100 would be a small price to pay for all that peace of mind.

Decomposing organic matter on the canal bed gives off Co2 and other gasses there is nothing new about this.

Thanks Daniel and John.

Our base plate is slightly ‘humped’ and occasionally, if you stand well to starboard, you hear bubbles rising to port. Did think about drilling a hole in the bottom to let it out.

You could always try that Bones, drill a hole, vent the gas, then hammer in a cork (if you can find one :lol: )

Galvanic Fangle Dangle Overhead Underhang, sounds a lot of hassle; give me GRP any day, no rust or galvanic thingy with GRP.

but the outborsd or leg can corrode, it's in the circuit too

Thanks Daniel and John.

Our base plate is slightly ‘humped’ and occasionally, if you stand well to starboard, you hear bubbles rising to port. Did think about drilling a hole in the bottom to let it out.

You could always try that Bones, drill a hole, vent the gas, then hammer in a cork (if you can find one :lol: )

Thanks moley! I would give it a go, but I doubt it would be a long term solution. The boat farts all the time!

Ah yes

GRP might be no rust and glvanic thingy but you are liable to tupperware (remember that?) mistaking it for a pot.

Also - dont forget that if you get hit by a steel boat the chances are there won't be much GRP left.

Whereas steel boats tend to dent and bounce off and everyone smiles and says "Silly **** " under their breath.

Repeat after me. "WE WILL NOT START THE GRP VS STEEL VS ALUMINIUM ARGUMENT AGAIN"

Edited by clevett

Booooo!

- I think we should...

OK then. Despite being on our second steel boat, I have a lot of respect for both plywood and GRP boats. Our first Dolphin (marine ply) cruiser was built in 1966, and was last seen going strong in about 1986 (if anyone sees it, it was 19 foot Dolphin Blue/white called Bambi). Dolphins were built by Brooklands Aviation, an aircraft company. They were really lovely boats. We had a 25ft Dawncraft delivered in 1968 which is still going today. It had a 15HP parrafin Yamaha outboard when we owned it, but I bet that has long since expired. The driver delivered the Dawncraft on a flat back wagon, and informed us that this is the reason they were fitted with bilge keels, so that they would stand on the flat.

Booooo!

- I think we should...

I agree, BUT how about just stating your opinion of your choice, WITHOUT all the name calling etc. which only puts you in the gutter IMHO.

For starters I required a cheap boat as a means of taking my dog into the countryside, because of my circumstances. It has exceeded this beyond any dreams. I wasn't 'a boater' but changing circumstance changes attitudes. Boating is slow, wet, cold, expensive; just about everything I hate ........ however it suits me down to the ground.

Having had a nice little GRP boat I quickly found it took a day to clean it, every '5 seconds' :lol: Now I didn't get a boat to buy work, I've enough to do looking after my house. So after a couple of years, and some very kind help from some very kind people I hardly knew, I changed to my present boat, which is admirably suitable for my needs.

People laughed when I said I was getting a wooden boat to CUT my workload. However, him who laughs last etc. I've spent less time in 2 years cleaning than I did in 2 months with my pretty little Norman, and it still looks one of the best.

So now, after talking to people for a few years, and taking an interest in all types of boats I do have an opinion.

Steel rusts, wood rots, and GRP gets osmosis. I know of steel boats that need overplating after only 10 years. Yes you can weld steel, but what a rotten job. I remember welding a sill onto a car for a friend years ago. He said 'you are lucky being able to weld'. I felt really luckly lying under a car in the cold, getting burnt with sparks and hot underseal dripping on me.

Wood rots. There are wooden boats around here that have remain untouched for 20 years. One is now rotting away but it was built in 1903.

GRP gets osmosis. From my extensive reading on the net, I have yet to find one that has sunk through osmosis. Many of the boats built in the 60s and 70s are still around, and in good order. It is now a problem to get rid of GRP boats.

Also the laws of our universe still apply, and despite water being a very efficient means for moving mass, weight still has to be paid for. I have towed a broken down boat on more than one occasion. It takes twice the amount of fuel to travel the same distance when towing, partly because you are travelling at less speed. You do not get something for nothing, so to haul 10 to 20 tons requires more fuel than 1 to 3 tons.

Since the early 1900s most vehicles are designed with a roof to keep us warm and dry (relatively speaking) I can't see why anyone would pay 80,000 pounds or so to still have to drive standing outside in the cold and wet. I have met people who live on NBs who agree with me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To my eye all narrowboats look the same, despite how prettily they are painted. Look at a photo of a marina full of NBs and then one of yachts, ships or cruisers. Unless it is an upmarket one full of Sunseekers, a more varied collection of machinery is hard to find.

I am NOT saying one type is better than another. I am saying some boats are more suited to some uses. If you want to haul goods along canals, well there is nothing better than NBs or barges, but for pleasure cruising I can't see the attraction of standing outside in the cold and rain for hours. Some people don't mind, and even enjoy it. I can't and don't. That said I still take my dog out walking in all weathers, and do events where I am stood in the cold and rain, for fun. I just wouldn't want to pay almost 100 grand to do it, that's all.

VFM has usually been my top priority. I have never decided on a type of car for instance, usually getting whatever was available for transport, for years at he cheapest I could find. I don't think the man who can buy a new car every day is 'successful' I do think a man who can maintain and look after a car to use as transport for 20 years is successful.

Now, it is possible for people to voice their opinion of why they like steel NBs WITHOUT slagging off other boats, people, opinions. I am interested in their views.

Oh, and as to them being tougher. Yes they may be, but if you are rammed by 15 tons, the person standing on the edge has far more chance of falling in. If you slip between the keyside you stand far more chance of getting crushed. If your boat is damaged by hitting something, most people will take more care not to.

Remember my hobby (mainly as a spectator) has been Stock Car Racing for most of my life. If I had made cars, everyone would have ridden around in cars with no windows or heaters, strapped in wearing crash helmets. Where most accidents would have no injury or damage.

And yes, earlier I did say I didn't like driving outside, BUT with suitable clothing you can now be comfortable. So maybe the argument about standing outside for hours is not valid. You see I admit when I'm wrong, and accept I might change B)

well, I am so cross with my boat I think a rowing boat is the only answer.

I nearly bought a GRP, but I felt a narrowboat suited my character more, and would be easier to heat in winter.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you can get them sorted out ok.

:lol: thanks malc. Despite being cross I am having a lovely time trying to work it all out. When I have finished I will be very pleased - and know how everything works.

OK then. Despite being on our second steel boat, I have a lot of respect for both plywood and GRP boats. Our first Dolphin (marine ply) cruiser was built in 1966, and was last seen going strong in about 1986 (if anyone sees it, it was 19 foot Dolphin Blue/white called Bambi). Dolphins were built by Brooklands Aviation, an aircraft company. They were really lovely boats. We had a 25ft Dawncraft delivered in 1968 which is still going today. It had a 15HP parrafin Yamaha outboard when we owned it, but I bet that has long since expired. The driver delivered the Dawncraft on a flat back wagon, and informed us that this is the reason they were fitted with bilge keels, so that they would stand on the flat.

They do sit on the sand very well, as we found out last summer when we spent two nights at Hesketh Bank ponttons on the River Douglas on our way over The Ribble Link. At low tide the water was only about 3ins deep, and we sat there upright until it came in again, with the outboard fully tilted, of course.

Osmosis does seem to be a problem for many people, although I've never known a boat disintegrate because of it. I had a Norman 20 which was completely clear of it (Normans don't seem to get it), and my Dawncraft is also clear. Even my little Yeoman was OK. A lot of Freemans get it!!

The outboard is VERY relevant, I had an anode almost drop off one, they DO need them. Good point.